Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Default Muzzle brake

Was told that the brake will make the shot sound louder for the shooter but lowers the sound down range drastically. Any feed back?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 AM

That’s an interesting question..
Much loader blast but meant to reduce recoil.. I can see what you mention could be possible but what difference it would make to result in less noise down range. Bullet out of a rifle is idk 2800 ft/sec. sound travels at 1100 ft/sec. so a bullet is down range at a minimum two times the speed of the sound, that would mean that anything in the way down range has felt the damage of a bulletin long before the muzzle blast finally gets there.. No??

Last edited by warriorboy10; 10-18-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Was told that the brake will make the shot sound louder for the shooter but lowers the sound down range drastically. Any feed back?

Never been down range when some one touched off braked rifle .......lol
Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 AM

Brake does redirect the sound back towards the shooter. However, the full noise signature still happens at the muzzle, just like a non-braked gun. Unless you are more than a mile away down range, the relative noise factor isn't going to change significantly, unlike what a suppressor accomplishes. Think of it in terms of the difference in sound you hear when a gun is fired quite a distance from you, away from you versus more in your direction when you are out hunting. Same relative difference.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 PM

Had one guy shooting a 338 with brake at a moose 200 yards away. His cousin was positioned same distance down range but off to the side. Could not see the moose to take shot. Said the 338 sounded more like a 22.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Said the 338 sounded more like a 22.

People sure say some dumb things, don't they?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:03 PM

My 300 is definitely crazy loud . I have hunted with friends a valley over and they always know when I shoot .so I would say it’s false .
Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Had my hat blown off my head today at the range. Deafening thump and blast of hot air sucks. I hate giant muzzles ......... lol.

They really should have some sort of area (maybe shroud or plywood) for bench shooters who use breaks. It was very hard to keep anything on the shooting table, or try and concentrate on a shot when you are trying to time the guy next to you and hoping he doesn't touch one off just as you begin your final squeeze.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Thumbs up

My guess would be yes that it would make it less loud down range.
Isn't the job of a muzzle brake to redirect energy at backwards angle to lessen recoil and woundn't this also be true with the sound waves?
Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Had my hat blown off my head today at the range. Deafening thump and blast of hot air sucks. I hate giant muzzles ......... lol.

They really should have some sort of area (maybe shroud or plywood) for bench shooters who use breaks. It was very hard to keep anything on the shooting table, or try and concentrate on a shot when you are trying to time the guy next to you and hoping he doesn't touch one off just as you begin your final squeeze.
I agree with ya.

I have a muzzle brake, and I feel like an ******* each time I pull the trigger when people are beside me. I don't why outdoor gun range doesn't have a portable wood/cheap plastic side shields so that the sound blast doesn't hit people.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I gave up my range membership because of all the he-men, women-hater cowboys who'd park their arse right next to me with their multiple guns they could not shoot properly without their blankety blank muzzle brakes and start blasting away, even when there were many benches available. If there were no benches, then sit down next to me gladly, but when there are other benches available? C'mon. What I once counted as a relaxing day at the range would often end up with me totally PO'd and packing up my gear.

So, I sold most of my rifles and reloading gear and bought myself a nice shotgun, and an even nicer dog.

If you are shooting a 340 WBY or some big thumper, I get it. Not for a .308 I don't. Why not take the brake off and show courtesy? And yes, I wore earplugs and muffs, but the blast is as bad as the sound.

Can you tell how I feel about muzzle brakes at ranges???

Sorry for the rant boys. Morning started off bad and it just kept getting worse.

As for the OP's question, I try to avoid standing downrange of all guns.

Last edited by sns2; 10-30-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHunter View Post
I agree with ya.

I have a muzzle brake, and I feel like an ******* each time I pull the trigger when people are beside me. I don't why outdoor gun range doesn't have a portable wood/cheap plastic side shields so that the sound blast doesn't hit people.
Sherwood Park range has done exactly what you suggest and they work awesome. A couple of the members put them together after prototyping a couple. If you want the pattern for your range it would be easy enough to get hold of.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:01 AM

I haven't been downrange of a rifle fired with and without a brake, and I prefer not to be downrange when rifles are fired. How far downrange are we talking?
Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Banned

Do have pictures you can PM me?.?
I would like to make portable side shields during my range session.

Will appreciate the pics.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHunter View Post
Do have pictures you can PM me?.?
I would like to make portable side shields during my range session.

Will appreciate the pics.
I don't but try pming Rem 260. He was part of building them.