Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Default Vegreville Trout Pond

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out....I used to fish the vegreville trout pond here and there and it was always a good time. I had heard that last year they tried to kill the lake to get rid of the perch, and it seemed to ring true as I didn't even see a fish in a day of ice fishing there this winter.

My boy is just getting old enough to actually fish on his own, and we've been going to cardiff pond, but I'd like to take him to vegreville if it's been re-stocked as I have some pretty good memories of that place. The stocking report says it has, but just curious if anyone has been that way and if in fact there are any catchable sized fish in there.

Thanks in advance

Edit - I am curious about the pond south of Hwy 16, not the children's pond in town. Thx
Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out....I used to fish the vegreville trout pond here and there and it was always a good time. I had heard that last year they tried to kill the lake to get rid of the perch, and it seemed to ring true as I didn't even see a fish in a day of ice fishing there this winter.

My boy is just getting old enough to actually fish on his own, and we've been going to cardiff pond, but I'd like to take him to vegreville if it's been re-stocked as I have some pretty good memories of that place. The stocking report says it has, but just curious if anyone has been that way and if in fact there are any catchable sized fish in there.

Thanks in advance

Edit - I am curious about the pond south of Hwy 16, not the children's pond in town. Thx
I was there on saturday morning. Hot as hell that day but I managed to get 4 trouts. Really good size. Lost 3. All of them were CnR. I think I had a few perch bites but it could have easily been crayfish dickin around.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Where is this pond? I would love to try taking my son out there? Does anyone have directions that are easy to follow?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Perhaps in the town of Vegreville?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply. Are you suggesting if i drive into the town of Vegreville the road will suddenly become the lake? I have never been to Vegreville but from google maps there does not appear to be a lake sized body of water in the middle of the town. I am new to this and i would appreciate helpful advice, not condescending advice.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyremystik View Post
Thanks for the helpful reply. Are you suggesting if i drive into the town of Vegreville the road will suddenly become the lake? I have never been to Vegreville but from google maps there does not appear to be a lake sized body of water in the middle of the town. I am new to this and i would appreciate helpful advice, not condescending advice.
Here is the help you seek...and not condescending. First one...on hiway 16 heading west of vegreville..bout 5 miles or so you will see a tall chain link fence if I can remember correctly. Access used to be from the north east corner,but last time I was by it it looked like access was from off the county road running south/north.County road on the west side of it,,,gate is in the north west corner. Its easily spotted from the hiway.An its on the south side of the hiway

To access the childrens pond...here is the link to it

http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/...id=D3&number=9

Easy peasy!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Vampyre - It's the one we went out to in the winter a few years back. It's a tough pond to fish now and it's wide open to the elements.

Get a hold of me and you and the family can come out with me one day after work for an evening fish in the boat.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks Icehunter
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 AM

Yes, I realize this thread is 3 years dead, but I thought it was maybe better to revive the old info rather than creating an entirely new thread to discuss similar stuff.

Any perch in that large pond? I caught over 30 small 5-6" perch in one hour there years ago. Went back a year or two later and caught zero perch (though in a different spot). Went back a year or two later (again a different spot) and had lots of very small (3-4") perch follow my lure. Last chapter in this story is that I went there last weekend (October 7, 2018) and fished my original perch spot from years ago.... and got not even a nibble in over an hour.

So what's going on? Any perch still in that pond?