Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Default S-coil Stabilizer Fell Off - should I replace??

Argh!! So far this year I have donated an elk bugle and my s-coil stabilizer to the woods. hahaha.

However it has been a very exciting season. The best has been calling in the biggest bull elk I have ever seen and then a few days later being stocked by a pack of wolves. One got within 3 yards of me. Once it saw all of me standing there, it ran off and as I yelled out a few curse words 3 more ran off with it. Very cool.

Anyways, I noticed the 3.5 inch s-coil stabilizer on my bow was missing after a long day of hunting. It did not break off. Looks like it just unscrewed. Dangnabbit!!!

So wondering if I should even bother replacing it. I have been talking with a few other bow hunters and researching online. Some people do not attach a stabilizer. I am not the most technical guy when it comes to compound bows, but learning as I go. So I am looking for advice.

I still have the base of the stabilizer on my bow. Is that good enough? Do I need to replace the s-coil I lost or put another one on to avoid doing any damage to the bow when shooting? I have shot since losing the 3.5 inch stabilizer and my groups have not changed.

Attached is the base of my stabilizer and the s-coil I lost is the 3.5 inch.

My bow is a 2008 bowtech tomkat and has been very good to me. Haha

All advice is appreciated.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:47 AM

I'd make sure it still is tuned properly. Older bows can be more sensitive to changes. Not hard to set up paper for a tuning session, then throw your practice broadheads on and shoot a few.

If it works, it's then up to personal preference. I know my bow is louder without the stabilizer, so I wouldn't go without.

Loctite. Just sayin