Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 PM

Default Understanding big bush bucks?

Looking for the experienced to chime in. The northern Alberta forests are home to bucks that are Lords of the forest so to speak. Bucks that die of old age that never really get hunted. Their beautiful sheds get ate by rodents and most even knows they are around cause they did see them with there own eyes. They have learned to live like rabbits in the thick chit, they dont come to the ag land, some areas have little no no logging. They have learned to survive amidst the wolves and cougars. They don't follow the same trails daily, they appear to have no pattern. They are masters of survival. Heavy snow has them in a sea of conifer and light snow has them in a sea of deciduous. Deer densities are low, sign and cams say they are there. We can't bait. How do you hunt the Lord of the forest?

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:37 PM

I often wonder this myself. I think the best way to hunt them would be to watch a cutline with deer trails crossing it during the rut. And spend every day of November doing so. Unfortunately I wont ever get that much time so I always end up hunting near a food source on the fringe land. More of a for sure thing. Lol
Old 11-10-2017, 12:00 AM

I knew of one old buck that lived exactly like you mention. Using obscure trails in snarly brush and almost impossible to pattern.

My tip: Old bucks have old beds. The old big buck I knew had a bed that looked like he was born in it. If you can locate a old bucks bed then you can try and figure out how to approach it according to wind and such. I found that old bucks bed and it was situated on a ridge point with only a few deciduous trees. There were heavy stands of spruce 100 yards away down a slope and stands of deciduous and brush on the flat top land. Also a creek 100 yards away. No matter which direction I approached his bed he could see me coming. I never did get a shot at that buck but was able to catch him near his bed a couple times.

If you use doe in heat during the rut you can go 100 yards upwind from the bucks bed and lay a trail of doe in heat scent on the crosswind as you walk past his bed. Lay the scent trail at a regular walking pace. Then stop, turn around and stand there with gun ready. Stand looking down the scent trail and he most likely will come to the scent trail within minutes if he is in his bed. I had good success on other bucks with a 30 yard scent trail perpendicular to the wind and upwind of the beds. One time, by the time I laid the scent trail, I turned around and stood there for 3 minutes and hte buck was there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-10-2017, 12:11 AM

I like this! My bucks seem to have many different bedding sites, i "hunt" all year long and follow the trails both ways, after the season is done. Have yet to find THE bed.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Looking for the experienced to chime in. The northern Alberta forests are home to bucks that are Lords of the forest so to speak. Bucks that die of old age that never really get hunted. Their beautiful sheds get ate by rodents and most even knows they are around cause they did see them with there own eyes. They have learned to live like rabbits in the thick chit, they dont come to the ag land, some areas have little no no logging. They have learned to survive amidst the wolves and cougars. They don't follow the same trails daily, they appear to have no pattern. They are masters of survival. Heavy snow has them in a sea of conifer and light snow has them in a sea of deciduous. Deer densities are low, sign and cams say they are there. We can't bait. How do you hunt the Lord of the forest?
That's my backyard...very meticulous, don't get discouraged easily, stay the course, they do and will show themselves as I have taken a few beauties, you gotta spend the time in the woods, my best stands are hunkered in the thick stuff in low areas between scrape and rub areas, these bucks travel these natural corridors to check out the scrapes...if I play my cards right I am in the stand they pass by...grunt tube, rattling...perseverance...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM

Lots of midday activity, if snow conditions allow it follow game trails, do some rattling. Wear snow camo. Have many fond memories of deer taken doing this.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 AM

One area that I have hunted regularly for the past few years is big bush and scrub brush. Trophy bucks are taken in that area each year, i have been lucky enough to get one also. My tactic was knowing their travel routes and sitting on a cut line that intersects those routes and sit there all day as hard as that is sometimes. Catch them cruising through. I will walk a drag line with doe in heat of some sort down the cut line and I have found that although it doesnt necessarily fool the big guys it causes them to sometimes stop and sniff giving you time to check en out or for a shot. And to reiterate what cowmanbob said dont discount mid-day
Old 11-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

I mostly hunt deer in the deep woods been very lucky in my harvests, I find well used trails and il sit all day, i have better luck within first hour of day light
Old 11-10-2017, 05:44 PM

I’ve still hunted big timber but alas have never cashed in. I usually get my deer on pipelines as they cross the same trails.

When you guys say “ in the woods” or “in big timber” .....How tight exactly is the bush and how far can you see?

I’ve watched trails through spruce and through poplar beds. Usually see them in poplar ....
Old 11-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Very interesting read in this thread, I really enjoy reading other people’s strategies, and how they execute a hunt. Solid info, just wanted to thank you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Good thread.

IMO Big bush bucks do have a core area where they bed the majority of the time. (Rut not included) These areas are bigger than farm land deers core area. They are also harder to find, it seems big bucks will feed into the wind or a side wind with a good field of view down wind most of the time in big bush. They don’t have a set travel pattern and travel where the wind takes them. It is a good idea to make note of the wind direction when finding fresh tracks or spotting a big buck and then hunt accordingly. Keep in mind that the buck could be traveling the same direction in the same area 300+ yards away on a different day with the same wind. Hunt natural funnels when possible.

There have been many long conversations at the camp fire about the kings of the forest and how to hunt them. I’m still learning and will never learn everything, hope more chime in with some more knowledge.

Not a king of the forest, but a big bodied, unique mature deer that lived miles from any road I took years ago. (I couldn’t pass him up, the deers body was massive) Sorry, can’t find any field pics.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
They don’t have a set travel pattern and travel where the wind takes them.
I followed one last year for a few hours. I had spotted him for a few seconds walking away. He clearly waked away a few moments ago from the very place I spotted him from. To this day I am amazed he just walked away so nicely and quietly. If I did not lift my head to look up the hill, I would have never seen him (would probably be for the better because I cannot find him or any evidence of him being there). Yes, I followed him for a few hours. He always walked against the wind all that time, although I am assuming he knew I was following him. As wind changed, he would change direction immediately. He he did not take any existing deer trails, with a couple of exceptions, and the exceptions were quite brief. I did not catch up to him that day, he was always ahead of me just a little bit. There was a place where I could have easily taken him out if I knew the terrain, but the area was completely new to me and I had no idea. What happened was, as I was following him, he crossed a creek and started moving in the opposite direction. In other words, as I was going west on one side of the creek, he started moving east after crossing, and it happened as the wind changed direction. That was a huge mistake on my part. Lesson was know your terrain.

Great thread, by the way!

P.S. That's a dandy deer, dmcbride!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So just the other day came across a set of fresh scrapes in the woods, told my son to sit on them 30-50 yards away, I placed myself further roughly 100 yards, a little rattling, grunting after an hours sit drove a buck insane as my son said he came not to me but straight to the scrapes, son passed him up...just another idea.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 AM

That's a really cool buck. I can't imagine how that guy would look in velvet! Nice work!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:30 PM

Lord of the forest

Old 11-15-2017, 01:39 PM

wow good pic
Old 11-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post

Lord of the forest
Oh my god.
That is a beautiful buck!
I am loving this thread
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Sweet character buck mcbride! Love that.
And this is a great thread. Appreciate the quality info.

I remember one time stumbling upon what seemed like an ancient buck trail while wandering through the woods. I had to keep doubling back it was so vague and hard to follow. But some of the rubs I was finding you could tell had been made year after year for many years. It was along a marsh and was not well traveled.
Since then when ever I find one of those knarly old rubs I check for the indistinct trail or try and guess his direction to see if there are more rubs. Cause if that buck is still alive he's likely still using that trail.

(Here's a cool shed I found near that trail)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 AM

My 2017 bush buck.

Great post! I have been inspired my all of the great stories and strategies. Bush buck hunting is definately not for the lazy hunter! Shot this guy yesterday approx. 2.5 quarter sections from my truck in heavy timber/hills (foot access only).
After walking quietly in the bush all morning following deer trails, this guy crossed a very narrow trail around 70 yards in front of me, nose to the ground. I wasn't prepare to shoot...rifle on my shoulder, I quickly tried to get him in the scope but it was too late. He had already crossed into the bush on the other side. I let out a couple of doe bleet sounds hoping he would walk back out...no luck. So I quietly snuck up to where I last saw him cross. Suddenly I heard a branch snap behind me. He had doubled back and came back out on the trail 20 yard behind me! I cant believe he didn't see or smell me because now I was upwind of him. I shouldered my rifle and struggle a little to find him in the scope...he was so close! After the shot, he ran about 30 yards into the bush before expiring. Clearly in full rut with nothing but a hot doe trail on his mind definitely worked in my favour.
Now the hard work began. I drug him by hand for about 1/2 a quarter section. Too tire to continue that way, I decided to walk back to my truck and get the sled. 3.5 hours later, got him loaded.
Lots of foot miles and hard work, but a nice bush buck makes it worh while!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk