Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil72 View Post
Problem being once the F. Horse has finished eating ,there is not much left for the Elk. Not to say the Elk do not use this to their benefit! Do what you can with what you have.
Thanx for the input: Evil72
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
Gone out in the spring to find wall to wall horse**** on oil leases, where the horses moved in and stayed.

Grizz
Old 01-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Wish , he was here. Nah! nevermind. I didn't really say that.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-04-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Wish , he was here. Nah! nevermind. I didn't really say that.
You mean the two Sheeps, they could really get into it.

Grizz
Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Yes they could and as far as the feral horse dilemma, i'm very glad to hear of 5000 elk in Suffield and not those escaped broncs. Now what do we do to reduce them in the west ? again
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM

Redfrog, P-L-E-A-S-E don't wish that awful thought I know you were thinking, and besides he's banned, not suspended.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Seen a few elk hunting once lots of sighn should shoot some so the grizzlys can eat!
That's what I thought, feed wolves and take pressure off the elk
Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Default My thoughts...

You have to wonder what the long term management plan is for them.
Are they just too cute to be called feral?
Personally I'd love to use them for wolf bait.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

Grizz

This is a much better place without them. Just think, with all their "bantering" back and forth, nothing has changed with the feral horses.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think it will take a bit more than that - crap at times i wonder why I came back!!
Cat

Luv ya man
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

Luv ya man
whoa ..seen enough ..lol...
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
This is a much better place without them.
Actually it's not, on both counts. They both brought a lot more to this board than 99% of the people on here.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Got to watch a herd of cow elk grazing on the snow cleared areas the horses left 40min prior in 316 .
Sounds like a bunch of hungry elk had to wait till the hayburners were done

There is room for the wild horses. They are a legitimate part of Alberta's colourful history.

That being said, they were introduced. They are not the preferred prey of the natural predators and high on the pecking order as a user.

They need to be monitored and controlled.

As soon as someone at the Govt. figures this out.....they'll probably make themselves a pretty cushy career
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM

Where does it say that you can't shoot feral horses? It sure is not in the hunting prohibitions. In my mind they are some form of a non game animal and couldn't even be classified as wildlife, if so then would be as legal to destroy as a raccoon or skunk.

So where does it say it is wrong to kill feral horses? If you did destroy one or some then who is going to stop you and why?

I heard a story of a rancher shooting feral forces to feed the bears and wolves, to keep them fed so they wouldn't kill his stock. Sure would make excellent coyote bait.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Redfrog, P-L-E-A-S-E don't wish that awful thought I know you were thinking, and besides he's banned, not suspended.
New Year, New Pot, Same old stick and stew.

No not that kind of pot.
Why do you think they call it dope.
I don't think it will ever be legal.
To shoot horses I mean.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
I heard a story of a rancher shooting feral forces to feed the bears and wolves, to keep them fed so they wouldn't kill his stock. Sure would make excellent coyote bait.
Google "Rancher shoots wild horse".

Check out the first 10 hits and get back to me on how it worked out for the ranchers involved
Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Check out the first 10 hits and get back to me on how it worked out for the ranchers involved
I've almost been there a couple of times and you've got to consider the consequences. There are some very good reason we geld domestic stallions.

Grizz
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I've almost been there a couple of times and you've got to consider the consequences. There are some very good reason we geld domestic stallions.

Grizz
Things that make you go...hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Grizz
Sounds like a woman's answer to most things that have an opinion. A trip to the vet.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
Yes they could and as far as the feral horse dilemma, i'm very glad to hear of 5000 elk in Suffield and not those escaped broncs. Now what do we do to reduce them in the west ? again
Beat me to it , I agree . Why remove horses from the base and not from the mountains ?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:07 PM

It may appear the horses clear the way for elk to feed later but the horses are a problem. The elk are just making do with a less than ideal situation. They actually graze grasses down that elk would leave for the winter. Then bushes grow in and the grazing area is smaller than if only elk were there. The horses also attack domestic horses if you are riding out where they are. I would be fully in support of disposing of them all. They are feral and not wild. It isn't only wolves that are making it tough for the elk to bounce back in some places out west... Using the horses as wolf bait would be win-win
Old 01-04-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:

In the US there seems to be big consequences, is it the same here?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
In the US there seems to be big consequences, is it the same here?

Australian solution. "right Thing" means shoot.

Grizz
Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
Where does it say that you can't shoot feral horses?
Here:
http://esrd.alberta.ca/lands-forests...s/default.aspx
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 AM

The wolf population should be balanced with the elk, moose and deer population. All along the eastern slope of the rockies we all know the wolf population has exploded and guess what else is exploding, the population of wild horses. Add the two together and there is an issue in the forest, its not balanced anymore. That is where the big issue lies for all the wildlife. when the wolves cant find natural prey there is the option for horses so they don't die off when the natural ungulate population drops. I don't know what to do to fix it but if it doesn't get fixed the wild ungulate population will get much worse. Putting a bounty on the wolves I don't think will work as then the population of wild horses will go unchecked and the food will then be an issue. If its left to nature then the natural predators will need to increase significantly in order to keep the horses in check. this is well on its way to happening and at the expense of the natural ungulates.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil72 View Post
Problem being once the F. Horse has finished eating ,there is not much left for the Elk. Not to say the Elk do not use this to their benefit! Do what you can with what you have.
Thanx for the input: Evil72
Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
Your funny. No food for the elk. Give me a break. You guys freaked out over the slaughter of CWD deer as did a number of Albertians so just think of the outcry from across Canada on the slaughtering of horses. I hunt in an area with horses & to be honest with you they never attacked me nor those I hunt with. They make good trails for me & animals alike to walk on. Also where I hunt there is enough food around any animal to eat. Since some one used the term "feral human" then what about all those "feral humans" running around on "Crown Land" destroying good hunting grounds with ATV's? 50 or 100 or 200 or 300 ATV's can destroy a lot of good land.

Hunter always say "eat what you kill & kill what you eat"....unless otherwise posted should be added.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Gov't Cop Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Thank you: Stinky Buffalo
The only real law that protects F. Horses is old rustling(stealing) laws under the criminal code. Bad part of that is there has to be a proof of owner ship of the live stock! Alas the Gov't admits no ownership of the F. Horse,(Wildlife Crown Property). Which I find funny, as some of the F. Horses come from released Forestry Horses when they stopped their major patrolling.(First Big Cut Backs In Protecting Alberta's Wild Lands). So that leaves the enforcement up to the R.C.M.P.. Again proof of owner ship comes into play!! F. horses have no owners. That means if you remove or kill a F. Horse you could be charged as a horse thief. Still on the books as a Hanging Offence! Yes I'm aware we have no Capital Punishment! So now you will have to defend yourself as a Horses thief, and the Fed's, spend a whole pile of money to prove who owned said F. Horse. Nice eh? So with all that said. How can a Gov't , be making rules about something they do not have official jurisdiction over , or owner ship????

Regard:Evil72

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post
Since some one used the term "feral human" then what about all those "feral humans" running around on "Crown Land" destroying good hunting grounds with ATV's? 50 or 100 or 200 or 300 ATV's can destroy a lot of good land.

Hunter always say "eat what you kill & kill what you eat"....unless otherwise posted should be added.
An ATV doesn't destroy hunting grounds. As long as they stay on established trails.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
....when the wolves cant find natural prey there is the option for horses so they don't die off when the natural ungulate population drops.

If its left to nature then the natural predators will need to increase significantly in order to keep the horses in check.
Wolves do not target horses, they simply move to where there is wildlife, even if it is 50-100 miles away.

The wolf population has increased,yet they still have not had any impact on the feral horse.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Natural Wildlife VS Feral!!!

Quote:
Your funny. No food for the elk. Give me a break. You guys freaked out over the slaughter of CWD deer as did a number of Albertians so just think of the outcry from across Canada on the slaughtering of horses. I hunt in an area with horses & to be honest with you they never attacked me nor those I hunt with. They make good trails for me & animals alike to walk on. Also where I hunt there is enough food around any animal to eat. Since some one used the term "feral human" then what about all those "feral humans" running around on "Crown Land" destroying good hunting grounds with ATV's? 50 or 100 or 200 or 300 ATV's can destroy a lot of good land.

Thanxunezilla
Good point you make there! I my self was appalled at the slaughter of our natural resources! The F. Horse is not a natural resource! Non Native! Yet with the proper Gov't steps it could be.
I can not see why the harvest of one animal (Deer,Elk,ETC.) is accepted. Yet the harvest of another is not,(F.Horse)! ???? Or if you may F. Pig VS F.Horse. Eradicate one, love the other! Really??? Worst thing ever to happen to the , animals , was the humanizatoin of them by the World Media. You know, Mr. Ed. IMO. Meat is Meat!
As for the thousands & thousands of ATV,s & the hundreds of 4x4s in our Wild Lands,that is a whole other huge can of worms. We can deal with that at another time! Let us try to solve one issue at a time. Ok?
Regards:Evil72

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:

Last edited by evil72; 01-05-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Natural Wildlife VS Feral!!!

Quote:

Thanxunezilla
Good point you make there! I my self was appalled at the slaughter of our natural resources! The F. Horse is not a natural resource! Non Native! Yet with the proper Gov't steps it could be.
I can not see why the harvest of one animal (Deer,Elk,ETC.) is accepted. Yet the harvest of another is not,(F.Horse)! ???? Or if you may F. Pig VS F.Horse. Eradicate one, love the other! Really??? Worst thing ever to happen to the , animals , was the humanizatoin of the by the World Media. You know, Mr. Ed. IMO. Meat is Meat!
As for the thousands & thousands of ATV,s & the hundreds of 4x4s in our Wild Lands,is a whole other huge can of worms. We can deal with that at another time! Let us try to solve one issue at a time. Ok?
Regards:Evil72

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
Closed Thread