Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post
Your funny. No food for the elk. Give me a break. You guys freaked out over the slaughter of CWD deer as did a number of Albertians so just think of the outcry from across Canada on the slaughtering of horses. I hunt in an area with horses & to be honest with you they never attacked me nor those I hunt with. They make good trails for me & animals alike to walk on. Also where I hunt there is enough food around any animal to eat. Since some one used the term "feral human" then what about all those "feral humans" running around on "Crown Land" destroying good hunting grounds with ATV's? 50 or 100 or 200 or 300 ATV's can destroy a lot of good land.

Hunter always say "eat what you kill & kill what you eat"....unless otherwise posted should be added.
you funny too !! do you think all grass you see is a food source for elk ? slaughter of a native species (deer) versus a bunch of let loose , escaped FERAL horses, is very different , I hope you can understand at least that much. Sounds like you see a lot of ATV's and "enough food around any animal to eat" If the horses attacked you , would your story be diff ? good grief
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Banned

Seen quite a few talking 30 to 40 some days around forestry trunk in 316 unbelievable I got within twenty feet of one he was about 250 yards. Nice pic I'll post them but they never bothered us. I never heard of them attacking people I've rode up on them on horses as well with no problems
Old 01-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter123 View Post
Seen quite a few talking 30 to 40 some days around forestry trunk in 316 unbelievable I got within twenty feet of one he was about 250 yards. Nice pic I'll post them but they never bothered us. I never heard of them attacking people I've rode up on them on horses as well with no problems
I'm sure they make for a nice pic but honestly wouldn't you rather see 30-40 native Elk. The post by Dunceazilla is correct about possible attacks . The horse herd was moved off a Military location in SE Alberta for that reason , attacks. Now that base area has 5000 friendly elk.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauna View Post
I'm sure they make for a nice pic but honestly wouldn't you rather see 30-40 native Elk. The post by Dunceazilla is correct about possible attacks . The horse herd was moved off a Military location in SE Alberta for that reason , attacks. Now that base area has 5000 friendly elk.
Please explain your logic regarding the horses at CFB ?

Pounding ones chest regarding the utter disaster now in CFB is beyond me. For your knowledge, the elk were transplanted with goals of 800 managed for this area...
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Please explain your logic regarding the horses at CFB ?

Pounding ones chest regarding the utter disaster now in CFB is beyond me. For your knowledge, the elk were transplanted with goals of 800 managed for this area...
pretty simple sleadhead...is the problem of 5000 elk or 5000 feral horses more of a concern to you ...so now in your wisdom , why were the horses removed and put into a none natural environment ?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
pretty simple sleadhead...is the problem of 5000 elk or 5000 feral horses more of a concern to you ...so now in your wisdom , why were the horses removed ?
You joking right ?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
You joking right ?
no joke me some ...
Old 01-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
pretty simple sleadhead...is the problem of 5000 elk or 5000 feral horses more of a concern to you ...so now in your wisdom , why were the horses removed and put into a none natural enviroment ?
My understanding is the horses were removed at the request of local ranchers due to damage being done by them. Replacing them and subsequently mismanaging the elk herd has only created a bigger problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DLT View Post
My understanding is the horses were removed at the request of local ranchers due to damage being done by them. Replacing them and subsequently mismanaging the elk herd has only created a bigger problem.
Nope... Very simple summary, we all should be ashamed of this and personally I take great offence to some spouting off knowing absolutely nothing about this area.

Until 1994 wild horses had open reign on the Suffield military base in southeastern Alberta, moving freely across one of the largest parcels of native prairie in the world. Over 1200 head, divided by their stallions into small herds, survived on the rich grasses that once supported cattle until the military annexed the rangelands in 1941. The success of the Suffield Mustangs in surviving and reproducing freely on the open range proved to be their downfall. In the early 1990s the military decided the horses were damaging the prairie grasses on the base and the population needed to be controlled. After a great amount of discussion and controversy on the issue, it was decided in 1994 to round them up and disperse them to anyone willing to take one.

This could have been the end of the Suffield Mustangs were it not for a few forward-thinking horsemen who recognized the historical significance and the genetic quality of these horses. These people, who adopted horses after the roundup, joined together to form the Suffield Mustang Association of Canada with the goal to promote and preserve the unique Suffield bloodlines. These horses are a historically unique part of our Western Canadian heritage and could never be reproduced.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
good answer ..400 horses were doing a big amount of damage , so let's move them out west ..right on
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
good answer ..400 horses were doing a big amount of damage , so let's move them out west ..right on
Arg. Do a little research on where they went please.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope... Very simple summary, we all should be ashamed of this and personally I take great offence to some spouting off knowing absolutely nothing about this area.

Until 1994 wild horses had open reign on the Suffield military base in southeastern Alberta, moving freely across one of the largest parcels of native prairie in the world. Over 1200 head, divided by their stallions into small herds, survived on the rich grasses that once supported cattle until the military annexed the rangelands in 1941. The success of the Suffield Mustangs in surviving and reproducing freely on the open range proved to be their downfall. In the early 1990s the military decided the horses were damaging the prairie grasses on the base and the population needed to be controlled. After a great amount of discussion and controversy on the issue, it was decided in 1994 to round them up and disperse them to anyone willing to take one.

This could have been the end of the Suffield Mustangs were it not for a few forward-thinking horsemen who recognized the historical significance and the genetic quality of these horses. These people, who adopted horses after the roundup, joined together to form the Suffield Mustang Association of Canada with the goal to promote and preserve the unique Suffield bloodlines. These horses are a historically unique part of our Western Canadian heritage and could never be reproduced.
"Suffield Mustang " is only in your imagination, blowing in the wind. If you knew all this , how many did you save and bring home .. Horsemen coulda and shoulda saved them all by keeping them outa the west country ..There is NO heritage in a bunch of FERAL horses.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:05 PM

"In 1994 about 1200 feral horses were rounded up. The effects the horses had on the fragile grassland prairie were devastating. Water holes were being trampled and spoiled with horse dung. Several areas, including the middle sand hills, home to over 50 species of birds, were being over-grazed, and the erosion was changing the landscape. The habitat for 173 species of wildlife, 31 of which are rare, endangered or threatened, was disappearing. In 1992, a portion of CFB Suffield was established as a National Wildlife Area, a sanctuary for wildlife, and the public was forbidden entrance.
In an attempt to represent all sides of the issue, ranchers, plus Doug Johnson, the man who broke more than 300 of the Suffield horses, were interviewed. In addition to a representative of the SPCA, a spokesperson for a coalition of various animal rights groups and a family that adopted a Suffield horse also had their say. The Suffield horses were feral (domesticated horses that returned to the wild), not wild horses. Although horses were native to North America, they disappeared 8,000 years ago for unknown reasons and were reintroduced in the 1500's by the Spanish Conquistadors.
A twelve-member citizens advisory committee, made up of defenders of both points of view, was struck to determine the fate of the horses. The committee's recommendation was to remove the horses. The military organized an adoption campaign and set aside the $90,000 profit for future environmental studies on the base.
The bulk of the blame for the disappearing mixed grass prairie is placed squarely on the shoulders of the feral horses. " quote
The close to 7000 elk that are there now are doing exponentially more damage.

Sorry Sled, you beat me to it.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1388963163
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1388963489.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Buckhunter123; 01-05-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Wrong pic
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
"Suffield Mustang " is only in your imagination, blowing in the wind. If you knew all this , how many did you save and bring home .. Horsemen coulda and shoulda saved them all by keeping them outa the west country ..There is NO heritage in a bunch of FERAL horses.
The word Mustang is the Anglicization of the Spanish word, mesteno, meaning “stray or ownerless” and aptly describes all wild, or free-roaming, horses in western North America. Significantly, the United States government passed the Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act in 1971 to protect these animals, which had been wantonly slaughtered to maintain rangeland for the exclusive use of cattle. Between 1900 and 1971 the number of wild horses in the USA had been reduced from more than 2,000,000 to less than 17,000. In Canada, no similar such legislation exists, based upon the position of both federal and provincial governments that there are no wild horses in Canada. The official position of both levels of government is that free-roaming horses in Canada are not wild, but are simply feral horses that have escaped from, or been turned out of, domestic herds. So, what is the difference?

fe-ral (fir’el) adj. 1. Not tame nor domesticated; wild. 2. Of, relating to, or typical of a wild beast; savage.

To my knowledge only about 450 of these horses were rescued..

Funny tho, the military used the excuse for concerns of the natives grasses and negative impacts to other species there to removed these horses in 94, then allowed 230 transplanted elk in 97 / 98.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
"In 1994 about 1200 feral horses were rounded up. The effects the horses had on the fragile grassland prairie were devastating. Water holes were being trampled and spoiled with horse dung. Several areas, including the middle sand hills, home to over 50 species of birds, were being over-grazed, and the erosion was changing the landscape. The habitat for 173 species of wildlife, 31 of which are rare, endangered or threatened, was disappearing. In 1992, a portion of CFB Suffield was established as a National Wildlife Area, a sanctuary for wildlife, and the public was forbidden entrance.
In an attempt to represent all sides of the issue, ranchers, plus Doug Johnson, the man who broke more than 300 of the Suffield horses, were interviewed. In addition to a representative of the SPCA, a spokesperson for a coalition of various animal rights groups and a family that adopted a Suffield horse also had their say. The Suffield horses were feral (domesticated horses that returned to the wild), not wild horses. Although horses were native to North America, they disappeared 8,000 years ago for unknown reasons and were reintroduced in the 1500's by the Spanish Conquistadors.
A twelve-member citizens advisory committee, made up of defenders of both points of view, was struck to determine the fate of the horses. The committee's recommendation was to remove the horses. The military organized an adoption campaign and set aside the $90,000 profit for future environmental studies on the base.
The bulk of the blame for the disappearing mixed grass prairie is placed squarely on the shoulders of the feral horses. " quote
The close to 7000 elk that are there now are doing exponentially more damage.

Sorry Sled, you beat me to it.
does the term and meaning FERAL , actually sink home . cry me a river . Read your own note..good grief ..Horses are devasting in all environments . Get the horses outa the west so we can relocate the elk ..tks
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
The word Mustang is the Anglicization of the Spanish word, mesteno, meaning “stray or ownerless” and aptly describes all wild, or free-roaming, horses in western North America. Significantly, the United States government passed the Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act in 1971 to protect these animals, which had been wantonly slaughtered to maintain rangeland for the exclusive use of cattle. Between 1900 and 1971 the number of wild horses in the USA had been reduced from more than 2,000,000 to less than 17,000. In Canada, no similar such legislation exists, based upon the position of both federal and provincial governments that there are no wild horses in Canada. The official position of both levels of government is that free-roaming horses in Canada are not wild, but are simply feral horses that have escaped from, or been turned out of, domestic herds. So, what is the difference?

fe-ral (fir’el) adj. 1. Not tame nor domesticated; wild. 2. Of, relating to, or typical of a wild beast; savage.

To my knowledge only about 450 of these horses were rescued..

Funny tho, the military used the excuse for concerns of the natives grasses and negative impacts to other species there to removed these horses in 94, then allowed 230 transplanted elk in 97 / 98.
Sledhead..stop the stupid BS ...
Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1388964067
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Uhh....they never relocated suffield horses out west.

2 totally unrelated isolated populations.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1388964291
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhunter123 View Post
Emu 316 all these pics were in
Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
does the term and meaning FERAL , actually sink home . cry me a river . Read your own note..good grief ..Horses are devasting in all environments . Get the horses outa the west so we can relocate the elk ..tks
Any pictures of the devastation? Have you seen this devastation personally? Have you ever seen a wild horse?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM

seems this is a wasted debate since its illegal to do anything to them anyway, but most of us that spend any time out where they are ,you should know there is no shortage of feed for everything that lives there , if you think there is you haven't been in the area.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Any pictures of the devastation? Have you seen this devastation personally? Have you ever seen a wild horse?
sorry Dave , never seen a wild horse as there is no such thing in Alberta..yes seen the devastation from the feral buggers....
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
sorry Dave , never seen a wild horse as there is no such thing in Alberta..yes seen the devastation from the feral buggers....
Is that right? Devastation eh? You should maybe look up the definition of the word "devastation".
I've spent my fair share of time out "west", as you refer to it, seen wildies on numerous occasions, and I never seen any "devastation" caused by horses.

LOL at you kauna.

You waded into this discussion ranting that the horses rounded up at Suffield were transplanted out "West", and something better be done to save the elk. You don't have a clue, not even a sniff, about what you're spouting off. You have zero credibillity.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that right? Devastation eh? You should maybe look up the definition of the word "devastation".
I've spent my fair share of time out "west", as you refer to it, seen wildies on numerous occasions, and I never seen any "devastation" caused by horses.

LOL at you kauna.

You waded into this discussion ranting that the horses rounded up at Suffield were transplanted out "West", and something better be done to save the elk. You don't have a clue, not even a sniff, about what you're spouting off. You have zero credibillity.
glad you put me straight..my apologies all round...
Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM

It was my pleasure.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
It was my pleasure.
Hi Dave ..you right all round . I just looked up HOGS or piggies, and guess what .
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil72 View Post
Thank you: Stinky Buffalo
The only real law that protects F. Horses is old rustling(stealing) laws under the criminal code. Bad part of that is there has to be a proof of owner ship of the live stock! Alas the Gov't admits no ownership of the F. Horse,(Wildlife Crown Property). Which I find funny, as some of the F. Horses come from released Forestry Horses when they stopped their major patrolling.(First Big Cut Backs In Protecting Alberta's Wild Lands). So that leaves the enforcement up to the R.C.M.P.. Again proof of owner ship comes into play!! F. horses have no owners. That means if you remove or kill a F. Horse you could be charged as a horse thief. Still on the books as a Hanging Offence! Yes I'm aware we have no Capital Punishment! So now you will have to defend yourself as a Horses thief, and the Fed's, spend a whole pile of money to prove who owned said F. Horse. Nice eh? So with all that said. How can a Gov't , be making rules about something they do not have official jurisdiction over , or owner ship????

Regard:Evil72

Shoot Lots & Shoot Well:
Interesting point, what we have here is a once tame animal, now turned wild, now people are trying to deal with it.

So my question is... how does this differ from a European pig gone wild...every body wants to line up to hunt it?
Closed Thread