Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Default Shots to killa moose

Hey everyone,

Just a question...

Was just watching a video these guys in saskatchewan filmed of their moose hunt.

I honestly found it a little unpleasant...I know every hunter has their own code of ethics, and mine, from the start is if your going to kill an animal make it as quick and as painless as you can...

However, these guy were taking 3-4 shots to kill a moose, and one of the moose apparently took 7 shots....

This must have been rather distressing for the moose, and frankly obviously rather painful, than a humane take down.

Curious, is it normal to take so many shots at a moose to down it? or is this most likely a case of hunters with either a low set of morals, or simply unskilled?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM

If a moose offers a second shot.... i will take it.

Ive shot moose that drop on the spot and died..... ive shot moose through lungs.... pass through... ran 50 yards and looked at me... then heart shot it.... ran 40 yards more and died. Also hit a moose with .458 win mag and it flopped dead sideways with authority. Like a wrecking ball lol
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 PM

Out of all of the moose I've shot most only took 1 shot. Sounds like poor shooting or poor bullet performance to me.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:49 PM

With any animal I was taught to keep shooting (especially if it has already been hit) until it is down, a moose can sometimes take several shots to drop and sometimes they won't even act like they are hit. Also when you are walking up to a downed animal make sure you have reloaded and keep your eyes on it in case it gets back up.

That being said I can't recall ever needing more than three shots to drop something....one of the biggest mistakes a hunter can make is to shoot once and stop and wait for the animal to drop.

Number of shots taken IMHO doesn't reflect on morals at all...but skill may be lacking.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-08-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM

Default That's pretty stupid

Whenever I've shot a moose it's usually a single or at the most a finisher on top of a single round. 3-4 shots is probably an undersized grain or caliber but then again I've heard of people taking moose with a .22; prolly the shooter not connecting properly. 7 shots and they should hang up those guns or hit the range.

I also take a shot and if it starts to run, I now just let it live as a Hail Mary shot is not the humane way to go. If there's sign of blood I'll definitely track it
Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 PM

If its on its feet or got its head up keep shooting is my motto. I reload and shoot as quickly as I reasonably can. I've shot lots of things more than three times and some stuff up to five or six times. I figure it is the most humane thing, saves a bunch of tracking and possibly losing an animal. You already have a bullet in it so why not. Ideally it's nice to have them drop on the spot or shortly after but it doesn't always happen even with good bullet placement, good bullets etc.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
If its on its feet or got its head up keep shooting is my motto. I reload and shoot as quickly as I reasonably can. I've shot lots of things more than three times and some stuff up to five or six times. I figure it is the most humane thing, saves a bunch of tracking and possibly losing an animal. You already have a bullet in it so why not. Ideally it's nice to have them drop on the spot or shortly after but it doesn't always happen even with good bullet placement, good bullets etc.
Exactly...agree 100%

Ultimately when we hunt, we shoot to kill, the job isn't done until the animal has fully expired.

LC
Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 PM

I try to put one shot through the Heart and double lung .. but double lung works well too

if I have time I will put another into him but only if I am not ruining more meat ..if it runs away leave for a hour then track it down to recover.... only a couple time did we have to do a killing shot after tracking most times they have expired

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
Hey everyone,

Just a question...

Was just watching a video these guys in saskatchewan filmed of their moose hunt.

I honestly found it a little unpleasant...I know every hunter has their own code of ethics, and mine, from the start is if your going to kill an animal make it as quick and as painless as you can...

However, these guy were taking 3-4 shots to kill a moose, and one of the moose apparently took 7 shots....

This must have been rather distressing for the moose, and frankly obviously rather painful, than a humane take down.

Curious, is it normal to take so many shots at a moose to down it? or is this most likely a case of hunters with either a low set of morals, or simply unskilled?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM

Why does that diagram show the liver?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Banned

One shot one kill is the ultimate goal of hunting as Speckle55 somewhat pointed out.
At least I would hope this is the main goal of most hunters.
But it doesn't always work in the field due to many circumstances. Experience, equipment, wind, distance, the jitters, moving animal etc....whatever it is.
But to be honest....I have never experienced 7 shots on anything. Heck....I dont even carry 7 bullets when hunting. Unless its my .22
I would have to say that this is human error to the max.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Why does that diagram show the liver?
The Liver is a vital organ that when hit causes internal bleeding....but a liver can take extra time to bleed out....which may require you to wait before pursuing.

LC
Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The Liver is a vital organ that when hit causes internal bleeding....but a liver can take extra time to bleed out....which may require you to wait before pursuing.

LC
The question was more about why would someone want to know where the liver is. Does one ever plan on shooting the liver??

I would not.

Am I missing something?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 PM

I've shot one moose more than once and two elk more than once. In two of those instances the first and subsequent shots were fatal but the animals were still on their feet and I am of the belief that no matter how good a shot "feels" you just never know where it landed until you are standing overtop the dead animal and can actually see the hole.

In the third instance I believe shots one and two hit there mark but the bull kept his legs under him and started to move away so I fired until he hit the deck.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Usually a first broadside or quartering, if he's still standing I'll give him another and then one behind the ear from 10 yards. Typically the whole event runs about a minute from start to finish (or however long it takes me to get to him).

They don't always react when you hit them and I'd hate to miss an opportunity to put another one home and speed the finale.

If you actually needed 7 shots I'd say there is something wrong, either poor shot placement or underpowered. When well placed, it really doesn't take much power, a 30.06 has been serving me well for about 30 yrs now; that being said I rarely am called on to shoot much further than 150 yds.

Zeke
Old 01-08-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
The question was more about why would someone want to know where the liver is. Does one ever plan on shooting the liver??

I would not.

Am I missing something?
You don't necessarily plan on hitting the liver but it is certainly important to know the anatomy of the animal and where it is....also important to know what signs there are of a liver hit...it is considered a vital organ like the lungs and heart.

You could on a sharp quartering away shot aim for the liver in the hope that with the angle you hit the liver and lung(s)

On a perfect broadside I certainly would try to aim a bit further forward for a double lung shot.

LC
Old 01-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

It could be that the first shot would have been sufficient to kill the moose but just not immediately and they kept shooting in order to speed up the process.

The moose that I've shot were dead with the first shot but they just didn't know it yet. I got a cow at about 50 yards with a 12 gauge slug through both lungs and it took off 50 yards and just stood there. I had time to make my way up and put another slug into her chest and even then she went another 50 yards before dropping. If I had left her after the first shot I am absolutely positive that she would have died in the spot where I shot her the second time. If it's standing there and presenting another shot for me to take, I'm going to take it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

Absolutely,with moose,shoot til you knock'em off their feet.Even a fatal first shot hit moose can go a lonnnnggggg ways,tipn'em over can mean the difference between an easy recovery versus an all night marathon of recovering a moose from some unholy hellhole of a swamp.
I've seen big bulls fold like a cheap umbrella,and others run off dead on their feet like they weren't even hit.Ya never know,so if their still standing,keep shooting I say.

Last edited by grinr; 01-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:

I would not.

Am I missing something?
One doesn't sim off the liver, no
But often it gets hit as well depending on the angle
It is also important to know if you think you hit a bit far back, that the blood
From a liver hit will be far darker than a kidney hit , etc...
Cat
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One doesn't sim off the liver, no
But often it gets hit as well depending on the angle
It is also important to know if you think you hit a bit far back, that the blood
From a liver hit will be far darker than a kidney hit , etc...
Cat
Thank you Cat and also Lefty.

I have lots to learn and hopefully I can the teacher one day.

Sorry for the derail guys....
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 PM

All my moose have been one shot, I find them big babies. I am using a 7 mm tho, shot placement is the key.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Kanati, Being new to hunting, you will soon learn that things do not always go the way you hope they might. I have made quite a few one shot kills on moose, elk and deer. I have also made some poor shots. The important thing is that you do everything in your power to dispatch and recover your game as quickly as possible.

Last edited by wellpastcold; 01-08-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:48 PM

We (on a partner license) put two bullets, two inches apart, through both lungs on a moose about 5 years ago. He went down on the spot. We shot him across a river so we had to go around. Three hours later when we got to where he dropped, he got up and started running. 100 yards later we put another one within two inches of the first two, forming an almost perfect triangle in the lungs, before the big guy went down.

Shooting a 300 win mag no less. So we definitely weren't under gunned. Sometimes they just don't wanna go down. We have had one other one like that, and then all the rest have been one shot and down.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:48 AM

I have seen even a deer soak up a lot of lead in its chest without acting like it was hit during the rut I would assume a moose could possible do the same even with well placed shots. Like the others have said I keep shooting once the animal is hit till its down if I can reasonable do so.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 AM

338 usually does a quick job although I don't think I've ever had one drop on the spot although I have seen it happen with a spine shot (not a shot I would take or recommend)

Cpl of years ago, shot one with a 350 gr 45.70 (double lung) and it did go 50 or 60 yards before it piled up. I would have taken a second shot however that was the day I learned about the infamous "Marlin Jam". Fortunatly the first shot was good.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 01-09-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 AM

I am of the belief that it takes what it takes, I personally shoot for the vitals first with a follow up in the shoulder to anchor it if possible and necessary. My first moose took three shots to the heart from a 30-06 180gr nobler partition from 100 yards. Bullets were a group of less than 3", heart was pulp. This bull ran 50 yards to windfall before we got another bullet in the neck behind his head before he was down for good. That experience taught me to shoot until it is down. On another note I shoot bow as well and took a nice bull this year, hit was good a little high through both lungs, watched him for 30 min before he expired. He laid down 4 times in total and went a total of 40 yards but did not push him and could not get a second shot so just sat tight and luckily he was in sight so watched his last moments of life. They can be strong as hell or drop at a whim. Don't judge unless you see the shots are peppering the animal and not humane lethal shots as we all intend.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
This must have been rather distressing for the moose,
Classic! Thank you.... folks down the hall wondering what the laughter is about.

Seriosuly, I know what you meant. Just the way you phrased that part hit me as hilarious.

Last edited by Okotokian; 01-09-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM

I have seen a couple of moose shot. Both times they were shot in the hump less than a hundred yards away and went down right where they were standing. Then the throat was cut and they expired. Does anybody else do this? Personally I always thought a heart lung shot would be better.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Shoot it till it is down

I have seen moose take 2 shots clean double lung and stand their like you missed not even taking a step. I have also seen them crumple from 1 shot. Rifles ranging from 30-06 - 338 is what is used by the guys I hunt with. All rifles I have seen 1 shot kills and follow up shots.

I can't say I have ever shot or been involved in a moose kill that took 7 shots.

Sometimes they are dead on their feet but there is nothing wrong with taking a follow up shot to be sure the first one went where you aimed.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Just a question...

They are slobs, a well placed shot is all that is required, start shooting like a fool the animal gets wounded and will run like you have never seen before maybe not to be found.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It could be that the first shot would have been sufficient to kill the moose but just not immediately and they kept shooting in order to speed up the process.

The moose that I've shot were dead with the first shot but they just didn't know it yet. I got a cow at about 50 yards with a 12 gauge slug through both lungs and it took off 50 yards and just stood there. I had time to make my way up and put another slug into her chest and even then she went another 50 yards before dropping. If I had left her after the first shot I am absolutely positive that she would have died in the spot where I shot her the second time. If it's standing there and presenting another shot for me to take, I'm going to take it.
Yes Dave and that is well placed second shots most wankers get into this fire fight mentality and then the stories start about how many shots it took etc...I took a bull this year with the bow and did not need a follow up shot it ran 30 yards and then fell over, I left and came back an hour later and they he lay. Rifle was the same too. Make the first one count and if a second presents itself place it where it counts under control.