Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Which would you pick?

Ok, seeing as we will only be getting weekends and one week to hunt this coming november anywhere close to Edmonton (3-4 hrs). I am wondering which areas would be better to hunt with a higher chance of finding anything:

Grande Prairie, Whitecourt, Slave Lake, Lac Lac Biche?

I have only 3 weeks holidays that I can take so I was thinking of heading out camping for two weeks to check out a couple areas. I am leaning more towards Lac Lac Biche as I do have family up there that would come out hunting with us newbies as well I have read that there is some big bucks that come out of there. For a couple of newbie hunters, which area would you guys who are more seasoned at hunting suggest? Not looking for anyones glory spots or special spots as we are willing to strap on boots and grab a map.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM

I'd go to Lac La Biche for sure. Some big deer up that way and they've got a bit less snow than the western parts. Grande Prairie has got a TON of snow and their deer are gonna take a hit.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM

deer numbers are way down in lac la biche at lest around my place
Old 01-12-2014, 06:57 PM

Default Less deer

Same thing between edson and whitecourt,last two seasons numbers are down,hunted hard around shining bank area never saw a shooter,to many guys popping off does,nieghbors shoot them then donate the meat,chaps my arse.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM

LLB area numbers are WAY down, tough winter last year and gonna be another this year..Didn't take anything this season as deer herd numbers were way down on the land I hunt. pulled out the sled the weekend of the 27th in December and found 4 deer carcasses on my rounds of pulling the trail cameras. Not looking good for this coming season..Id be putting some scouting into another area unless your family up there has land that they know the deer herds are doing okay..
CL
Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear crossing View Post
Same thing between edson and whitecourt,last two seasons numbers are down,hunted hard around shining bank area never saw a shooter,to many guys popping off does,nieghbors shoot them then donate the meat,chaps my arse.
push on here by some people to shut down the deer season next year
Old 01-12-2014, 07:10 PM

I'd go north of white court where there's still some bush. The deer there are use to this much snow and have figured out how to survive.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM

I don't think you have to travel so far. With the weather in November being a factor, some greating hunting can be had alot closer Edmonton. I agree there is some great hunting in alot of areas of the province but close to home can just as good. Closer to home and a person can go out all year round on day trips to scout and find out where a few good animals are. Come November you know where to hunt with a little better odds than going blind to a far away place.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 PM

Had good luck in and around Grand Cache and Fox Creek. Plenty of deer and some elk.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I don't think you have to travel so far. With the weather in November being a factor, some greating hunting can be had alot closer Edmonton. I agree there is some great hunting in alot of areas of the province but close to home can just as good. Closer to home and a person can go out all year round on day trips to scout and find out where a few good animals are. Come November you know where to hunt with a little better odds than going blind to a far away place.
That I am aware of and will also be knocking on doors this coming spring/sumer to (crossing fingers) find a nice landowner or two who will let me bow hunt or a nice seasoned bow hunter around edmonton who can help me out. Sadly my family has no land in Lac Lac Biche and seems like I may have more luck saving to hunt back up north in BC where I know plenty of landowners lol. Well we will have to plan out in the next couple months a few areas to check out.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned

Slave would be my bet. But all of them are getting destroyed by this winter... Head to edson or drayton valley
Old 01-13-2014, 12:10 AM

the snow is going to be a huge factor this year its deep and its early. I know most are going to say the deer are tough and can make it through but this year I wonder how many are. We have had lots of snow the last three years but this year I don't think we have had this much this early in a long time. Last year the numbers were way down in my area and if we get four more months of winter like last year it is going to be tough to find them. The last time we had snow like this the moose took a huge hit and every thing went on draw. But on the plus side its not solid seen a wolf go across the back field on Saturday and it was having a hell of a time crossing to, the warm weather and rain coming next week will fix that for him unfortunately.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 AM

I would have suggested Lac La Biche up until last year. The deer population took a real **** kickin.
Best bet is maybe Slave Lake or Swan Hills area.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM

Llb if you have family there. Local contacts and knowledge makes a huge difference.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Slave would be my bet. But all of them are getting destroyed by this winter... Head to edson or drayton valley
Im leaning more towards that Grandprarie Area

However UR right....this winter is going to be tough on the herds in all of northern AB.