Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2007, 05:27 AM
moose attack

Default moose attack

Moose attack injures Prince George woman
Last Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2007 | 4:37 PM PT
CBC News
Prince George RCMP have issued a public alert after a moose attack in the city on Thursday morning.

A female moose with two calves attacked a 60-year-old woman while she was walking her dog. The woman was taken to hospital with minor injuries while her dog, a cocker spaniel, was so badly injured that it had to be euthanized.

Earlier this month, a moose with calves chased a man in a residential neighborhood that backs onto a hillside.

"We've advised people to bring in their dogs and to just be aware if they're out walking," Constable Gary Godwin told CBC Radio.

Students at Pinewood Elementary School, near the location of Thursday's attack, were kept inside during recess.

Conservation officers are now looking for the moose, but have not yet determined what they'll do with them. They say a moose protecting her calves can be dangerous — even deadly.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Rackmastr

I'm not sure if given a choice of tussling with an angry cow moose or an angry sow grizzly, which I'd take.....moose are mean animals when they want to be and when they are defending, and will pretty much stomp you to the dirt until they are satisfied you arent moving....

Neither would be fun though!!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:33 AM
209x50cal

I was 12 and watched a cow moose and grizzly fight over her calf. She lead him out into the second lake at Two Lakes and he never stood a chance. A hair raising spectacle.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Rackmastr

That would be awesome to see Rich....
Old 02-25-2007, 01:19 AM
grizz

Default grizz

that would be some sight to witness. Just a Grizz question... when standing on all 4's, how tall is the average grizzly, never seen one in comparison to a moose on all 4's
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 AM
HIBACKPACKER

Default Re: grizz

Hey
A huge male Grizz stands just over 4-1/2 feet. I can still see him coming up after us and the last time I looked back he was at around 50 or so meters. Don't ever want to see that again.
Happy Hunting
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
varmitr

Default Re: grizz

hi back...just reading your blip makes the hair on my neck stand up.....
Old 03-01-2007, 04:02 AM
grandzillaa

As far as moose attacks go I came across 3 moose at 3 different times in 3 different spots(same wmu) who started to run after me, 2 were cows and one was a bull. I wasn't even hunting moose ,only deer that year. The one cow saw me and came from behind some trees and started to chase me, I had a 70 yard lead so I ran to some fallen logs and hit the ground and tried to get as much cover as I could get. She stop about 70 yards from me and ran back to the bush she came from. The next day another cow came out of the bush and started after me but she stopped running only after about 20 yards. As for the bull well that was :eek man am I in for it now type of thing. I was watching this bull moose from about 80 yards away for about 45mins, he was very healthy, and had a fine shinny coat, and I mean it did shine in the sun. Anyhow I lost sight of him, so I went about my deer hunt looking for that nice buck, about 20 mins later I came to the area where I might fine a group of deer and as I made my way through a small bushy area I heard a snorking and a stomping sound. So I looked to my left and there was a cow and a bull looking at me, and the bull was stomping his foot and moving his head a bit and well he started to move (not away from me) but towards me, and my lead was very small, well off I ran faster than I ever did before for about ....well I,m not sure the yards maybe 75yds. Just to fined myself at a river that made a u shape around me that was about 5 ft deep at the corners(for i put a stick in it once before) and a the rivers bank was about 6-7 feet high. I stopped at the rivers edge and thought well this is it, so I turned around and waited for the hit. But there was no hit, it was just me and the moose looking at each other from 20 yards away, so I started to talk, make sounds and he stared a bit and walked back into the trees to his mate I assume.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM
HUNTNUT

Back when I worked in forestry I once had a cow moose charge me. I first spotted it about 50 yds away and it seemed to be by itself so I continued working while keeping an eye on it. Suddenly it lays its ears back and makes a bee line for me. I jump behind 2 big spruce trees and yell and wave at it. It runs till it gets about 10 feet from me then veers off and does it again. After that I take out my bear spray and when it comes close again I spray it and it backs off long enough for me to get outta dodge. The only thing I can think of is that it must have had a calf close by as this was early May. Never did see any calf though but after that I gave them a larger berth and kept a close eye on them. One other time I had an experience the same as grandzilla with his cow moose. In the years that I worked in forestry I had way more problems with moose than I did with bears.