Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Default 2016/2017 WMU 732 Suffield Elk Hunt

Both myself (Antlered) an my daughter (Anterlerless) have been drawn for the WMU 732 Elk hunt at the Suffield base. I am December 2016 and she in January 2017.

I have 2 questions:

1. We bought the Antlerless Special License today and we were surprised that it came with 2 tags. I looked at the regulations and couldn't find anything so I called Albertarelm at 8889445494 and they said the biologist decide to issue to issue 2 tags and allow 2 animals to be harvested. Anyone else hear of this?

2. Can anyone tell me the rules for hunting there? I hope someone answers that has actually been there hunting recently. How many people can go? What time and where do you go for the orientation? Can you leave anything behind or do you have to take the entire animal out before you gut/skin/etc.? Can you drive around or do you walk? I called Suffield but have not heard back.

All I have been able to find is what is on page 28 of the 2016 Draw.
http://albertaregulations.ca/2016-Al...ting-Draws.pdf

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:48 PM

Just do a search for Suffield on this forum. There's multiple threads from last season that contain all the info you'll need as well as some pointers on best places to hunt and strategy.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:50 PM

2 Anterless tags were issued last year as well for that draw. Keep in mind that this is a CULL not a hunt. The main priority is to remove animals from the herd/ecosystem in that area.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Both myself (Antlered) an my daughter (Anterlerless) have been drawn for the WMU 732 Elk hunt at the Suffield base. I am December 2016 and she in January 2017.

I have 2 questions:

1. We bought the Antlerless Special License today and we were surprised that it came with 2 tags. I looked at the regulations and couldn't find anything so I called Albertarelm at 8889445494 and they said the biologist decide to issue to issue 2 tags and allow 2 animals to be harvested. Anyone else hear of this?

2. Can anyone tell me the rules for hunting there? I hope someone answers that has actually been there hunting recently. How many people can go? What time and where do you go for the orientation? Can you leave anything behind or do you have to take the entire animal out before you gut/skin/etc.? Can you drive around or do you walk? I called Suffield but have not heard back.

All I have been able to find is what is on page 28 of the 2016 Draw.
http://albertaregulations.ca/2016-Al...ting-Draws.pdf

Thanks in advance.

1. two cow tags were issued per hunter last year.

2. Orientation is in Ralston, they will tell you what time (iirc it was 6:00am). At the briefing they will cover the rules, many of which are unique to the base - follow them or risk being asked to leave. We gutted our elk in the field, and you may or may not be asked to leave the head for testing. First couple of seasons it was mandatory. Last year by the time we checked out they had collected enough samples and we left them on the cows we shot.

I was on the base hunting in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Shoot me a message if you want additional info or simply want to chat about my experiences.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:21 PM

I received an email with the regs for this year, didn't you?
There are some pdf's that answer most of your questions, shoot me a pm if you can't find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 12:51 PM

http://www.mywildalberta.ca/Hunting/...plicants.aspx#

Here is the official information.

Sorry to highjack your thread, regs say you can't leave the road and designated area, what happen if you shoot and you have to track it? I guess what I'm tryin to understand is what methods are you using to get the elk in the truck?
Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
http://www.mywildalberta.ca/Hunting/...plicants.aspx#

Here is the official information.

Sorry to highjack your thread, regs say you can't leave the road and designated area, what happen if you shoot and you have to track it? I guess what I'm tryin to understand is what methods are you using to get the elk in the truck?
Once you have an animal down, you are permitted to used your vehicle to retrieve it as long as the area is NOT OFF LIMITS and you think it is safe to do so. The understanding is that you do so at YOUR OWN RISK AND EXPENSE if things go wrong. The Military personnel are not permitted to assist you with your vehicle. If you think that the area the animal is in will be an issue like too deep of snow or mud, the range control guys will sometimes help and drag the animal out. If your wounded animal goes into an OFF LIMITS area, do not go in!!!! Call the range control and they will either dispatch the animal and drag it out or tell you to keep hunting.

All of this and more will be explained each morning during the safety meeting that is Mandatory to attend...yes mandatory each morning on the days you intend hunt!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
I received an email with the regs for this year, didn't you?
Huh? I didn't. Tho I found all I need online with everyone's help. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Default My Dec 3 2016 Bull Elk Hunt

We went on my Suffield Antlered Elk hunt on Monday Dec 5 2016. Although we had access until Wednesday, our strategy was to not mess around and shoot the first legal beast we saw and head home.

The briefing started at 645 am in Ralston at the community centre- turn north off the #1 highway on 884 and there are large signs that you can't miss. About 120 hunters and helpers attended. Sign in was a breeze. Just make sure you fill this out

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Hunting...dElk-2016B.pdf

for each hunter and helper and have your POL/PAL, WIN card, hunting license, and your tags (in case they ask which they likely won’t if you have them). DON’T FORGET YOUR BRIGHT ORANGE OR RED VEST OR JACKET – YOU REALLY NEED IT OUT THERE. The staff tells you everything you need to know and they give you an excellent map. There is lots of friendly staff to answer your questions so go early to the briefing, like maybe 6:15 am. They also hold a sub-draw before the briefing for accesses to the National Wildlife Area (NWA) preserve but you need a hand held GPS to enter the draw (not a cell phone, a real GPS like a Garmin). Everyone that entered the draw 'won' the day I was there. I did not enter the draw. I understand it entails a fair bit of walking so you need a wagon or sled if you are successful. I like to stay close to the warm truck.

We got out of the briefing at about 730 am and drove to the NE area of the base where we talked to a range patrol guy who told us he had just seen a small heard a little north and on the west side of the road. We started driving north looking on the left and then one of my helpers spotted a MASSIVE herd of about 1000 elk on the east side of the road. We thought it was just dark brush until the brush started moving! I could not process what my eyes were seeing.

We drove around to the east of the herd (good thing there are roads leading everywhere) and I jumped out and began a stalk of about 500 yards to a sub-herd of about 60 that was slightly split from the main herd. I approached with the sun at my back and the wind in my face. Perfect. I got about 205 yards from the smaller herd and spotted a few shooters and one large 4 point that I decided on but he was surrounded by cows that would not move. I laid there waiting for a shot and even considered taking a head shot. After about 20 minutes another truck approached on the north and spooked the small heard towards the large herd. No luck. Back to the truck.

As we were discussing our next move about 6 trucks arrived to the west of the herd and a few more to the north …. and then many orange jackets started to approach the herd from the west and the north. We were the only truck on the east side but wouldn’t be for long. We figured the orange people would push the herd south so we started driving south hoping the herd would run into us. We stopped a few kilometers south and heard the shots from the north. Sure enough, after a while here comes about a 1 km long herd of perhaps 1000 Elk on the run – RIGHT AT US.

I was laying in the field a few yards from the road with an excellent rest watching the herd through the scope. The sound and site of that thundering herd approaching would rattle even the most seasoned chuck wagon driver. I was more than a little excited, so trying to get a bead on any one bull seemed almost impossible. I was starting to panic. They split about 150 yards in front of the truck and lucky for me a 12 inch 2 point decided to take a rest with no cow cover. I made my shot, he went another 50 yards and laid down. So lucky. The others scattered. We were surrounded by elk. Terrifying. About a third of the herd turned back north, a third went east, and the rest kept going south. Dust and snot everywhere. 9:55 am.

We drove up to my elk and went to work. Home in Calgary by 4 pm. Tenderloin on the BBQ at 5 pm.

Totally unbelievably fun day. We are so fortunate to have this opportunity in Alberta. Some day we won't, so put this on your list of things to do. The Canadian Forces personnel that run the base will make you very proud. Outstanding individuals.

I had heard most of the crazy stories about Suffield but what I witnessed firsthand this week was everyone behaving. I saw nothing that would prevent me from going back for my daughter’s 2 cow tags later this January. The base is much larger than I thought and it was very strange to drive 100 or so kilometers and not see a fence.

I hope this story helps someone else to enjoy Suffield. To those of you reading this that want to comment that it is not a ‘real’ hunt, please keep those and other negative comments to yourself. I do understand your point of view and your decision not to participate. Fine by me.

We had a blast!!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:32 PM

Glad things are getting better out there, last yr my son and I were shot at by a couple hunters. Dropped a cow elk 10 yards in front of us. We followed threw with the rcmp and base patrol and filed charges.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:37 PM

Thumbs up Well Done! Keep it going..

I was out there last week, things have changed since last year, for the better (even though we didn't pull any off this year)..

A couple things I didn't notice until we were there that should be noted. As mentioned.. If you want to enter the draw for the NWA or EPG you MUST have a kit that includes 24 hours of food and water, handheld GPS and a phone (not a phone with a GPS).. you also need a drag of some sort to get your game out.

You also MUST wear blaze orange or red on the base.. It is NOT an option.

We all heard stories about last year (I lived it) this year was great.. We left the briefing and it was calm.. No one speeding up the highway or people passing like fools.. We stopped with others at the Canex before going to the gate as an example of how relaxed it was.

I think people are starting to realize that it's not about getting there first, it's not that important. I've witnessed a herd disappear over a hilltop and reappear in a moments notice, about as long as it would take for the guy in front of me to drive past..

While we were there, there was one NWA area that the opened for all to access without the GPS and other requirements.. It was the area more centrally located on the base. This areas restrictions are simple in that you simply must NOT drive on it. You must stay on the main road (only one that passes through the middle north/south). You can not use your truck to pull your game out. We were told that if anyone was caught going in there with a truck they would remove the privilege.. so please pay attention.

While we were there we saw thousands of Antelope (I think they have a problem with those..) hundreds of Mule Deer (one nice buck chased some doe's right almost across the hood of our truck) and some really nice HUGE Bull Elk, at one time we had 3 running along side us, probably at 50 yards (would only happen because we had cow tags)..

Anyhow.. we got skunked, I was told there was a heard of 2000 in the NWA in the NE corner moving west but we left Friday night.. Probably arrived on the base on Saturday.. LOL

It was cool anyhow.. Not the 45 minutes like we spent last year..

It was suggested that next year they may streamline the briefing in the morning so those that are there n the second/third day can get in and out faster. not that it REALLY matters as if you get out early you just find yourself waiting for legal light..

Hats off to those that org this on the base as they really listened and made changes that have made a huge difference.. Even the NWA draw that happens after the briefing helps by spreading out the traffic leaving all at once.

They also have a salvage list for any wounded that you can put your name on. It's located where you sign up for the NWA and EPG draws.. I was top of the list but got no call which is good news really..

On Edit - it appeared that the form we filled out onsite in Ralston at the theatre was different than the one we had last year that I had printed off the web. It may be a waste of time filling out in advance.. Maybe someone can confirm but I'm pretty sure as the guy at one of the 4 stations filled it out mostly on his own and we just signed and initialed.

You are allowed to have as many people with you that can fit in the truck.. Seatbelt for each person. If you are going in the NWA that has the kit requirements then those will apply for each person with the exception of the GPS I assume UNLESS you are splitting up then one GPS per group..

Anyhow.. That's my brain dump/debrief for the year.. I hope everyone that follows continues the trend.

Last edited by DMZ; 12-12-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 PM

This opportunity may have some hope for the future. With less trophy animals, stupidity will eventually fade, (that is if they continue it into the future). It may turn out like the wainwright hunt where eventually lower numbers will dictate more of a hunt environment. Now with the TB stuff happening, nobody knows what the future holds. I know the local businesses are appreciating hunters in that area to the end of january. Hopefully all parties see the positives of this opportunity.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 PM

Default jan 9-11

anyone going jan 9-11?? this wife and i each have tags,

wanna work as a team? pm me?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post

While we were there we saw thousands of Antelope (I think they have a problem with those..) hundreds of Mule Deer (one nice buck chased some doe's right almost across the hood of our truck) and some really nice HUGE Bull Elk, at one time we had 3 running along side us, probably at 50 yards (would only happen because we had cow tags)..
No problem with the Antelope on the Suffield Block.
The area is the historical wintering grounds for virtually every Antelope in Alberta. They show up through the Fall then migrate back out again to disperse throughout their range again come Spring.
Some of them cover impressive distances to get to and from the region every year.
It is critical habitat for them to over winter in/on.

Tags
732, elk, hunt, suffield