Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Default False Alarm: Missile Inbound to Hawaii

Definitely an interesting, yet scary, situation. Seems like the employee who allegedly pushed the wrong button might be in a pot of hot water!

I'm not sure I believe there is one single button for sending this alarm out, either... I'd imagine there is quite a protocol/system to send out such an alert.

What I found very interesting was all of the people (in comments under various Facebook Posts) that were present on the island, saying they just carried on as usual, and accepted the fact that if it was their time to go, it was their time to go.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politi...arm/index.html
Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Too soon?

This would explain it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missile warning.jpg (39.0 KB, 291 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM

I'm still perplexed as to why people can't post the text of the article.
CNN
CBC

I won't open any of their links.
Why give them traffic when all they are is puppets for the left leaning?

There are no absolutes
Old 01-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Glad the person responsible doesn’t have trumps big red button on their desk....
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Sometimes you need to lean to the left, when you have fallen over to the right.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 AM

From the NY Times

Quote:
An early-morning emergency alert mistakenly warning of an incoming ballistic missile attack was dispatched to cellphones across Hawaii on Saturday, setting off widespread panic in a state that was already on edge because of escalating tensions between the United States and North Korea.

The alert, sent by the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, was revoked 38 minutes after it was issued, prompting confusion over why it was released — and why it took so long to rescind. State officials and residents of a normally tranquil part of the Pacific, as well as tourists swept up in the panic, immediately expressed outrage.

“What happened today was totally unacceptable,” said Gov. David Y. Ige. “Many in our community were deeply affected by this. I am sorry for that pain and confusion that anyone might have experienced.”

Officials said the alert was the result of human error and not the work of hackers or a foreign government. The mistake occurred during a shift-change drill that takes place three times a day at the emergency command post, according to Richard Rapoza, a spokesman for the agency.

“Someone clicked the wrong thing on the computer,” he said.

State officials said that the agency and the governor began posting notices on Facebook and Twitter announcing the mistake, but that a flaw in the alert system delayed sending out a cellphone correction. As a result, they said a “cancellation template” would be created to make it easier to fix mistaken alerts. A new procedure was instituted Saturday requiring two people to sign off before any such alert is sent.

At no time, officials said, was there any indication that a nuclear attack had been launched on the United States. The Federal Communications Commission announced that it had begun “a full investigation into the FALSE missile alert in Hawaii.”

The alert went out at about 8:10 a.m., lighting up phones of people still in bed, having coffee by the beach at a Waikiki resort, or up for an early surf. “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL,” it read.

Hawaii has been on high emotional alert — it began staging monthly air-raid drills, complete with sirens, in December — since President Trump and Kim Jong-un, the leader of North Korea, began exchanging nuclear threats. Estimates vary, but it would take a little more than half an hour for a missile launched from North Korea to reach Hawaii, traversing an arc of roughly 5,700 miles. State officials said that residents here would have as little as 12 minutes to find shelter once an alert was issued.

Within moments of the first announcement, people flocked to shelters, crowding highways in scenes of terror and helplessness. Emergency sirens wailed in parts of the state, adding to the panic.

“I was running through all the scenarios in my head, but there was nowhere to go, nowhere to pull over to,” said Mike Staskow, a retired military captain.

Allyson Niven, who lives in Kailua-Kona, said her first instinct was to gather her family as she contemplated what she thought would be her final minutes alive.

“We fully felt like we were about to die,” she said. “I drove to try to get to my kids even though I knew I probably wouldn’t make it, and I fully was visualizing what was happening while I was on the road. It was awful.”

Ray Gerst was vacationing on Oahu with his wife to celebrate their 28th wedding anniversary. He received the alert as they pulled up for their tour of Kualoa Ranch.

“All the buses stopped, and people came running out of the ranch and said, ‘Just sit still for a minute, nobody get off the bus, nobody get off the bus,’” he said.

They were taken into the mountains, Mr. Gerst said, and dropped off at a concrete bunker. They sheltered in place for about 15 minutes, he said, during which time they had no cell signal.

“It was scary,” Mr. Gerst said. “I mean, there was no intel.”

At Konawaena High School on the Island of Hawaii, where a high school wrestling championship was taking place, school officials, more accustomed to alerts of high surf or tsunamis, moved people to the center of the gym as they tried to figure out how to take shelter from a missile.

“Everyone cooperated,” said Kellye Krug, the athletic director at the school. “Once they were gathered, we let them use cellphones to reach loved ones. There were a couple kids who were emotional, the coaches were right there to console kids. After the retraction was issued, we gave kids time to reach out again.”

Matt LoPresti, a state representative, told CNN that he and his family headed for a bathroom. “I was sitting in the bathtub with my children, saying our prayers,” he said.

Natalie Haena, 38, of Honolulu, said she was getting ready to take her daughter to ice skating lessons when the alert came. “There’s nothing to prep for a missile coming in,” she said. “We have no bomb shelters or anything like that. There’s nowhere to go.”

In Washington, Lindsay Walters, a deputy press secretary, said that President Trump had been informed of the events. “The president has been briefed on the state of Hawaii’s emergency management exercise,” she said. “This was purely a state exercise.”

Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii said the mistake was “totally inexcusable.”

“The whole state was terrified,” he said. “There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process.”

The news and stories that matter to Californians (and anyone else interested in the state), delivered weekday mornings.

While the cellphone alerting system is in state authorities’ hands, the detection of missile launches is the responsibility of the United States Strategic Command and Northern Command. It was the military — not Hawaiian officials — that was the first to declare there was no evidence of a missile launch.

The false alert was a stark reminder of what happens when the old realities of the nuclear age collide with the speed — and the potential for error — inherent in the internet age. The alert came at one of the worst possible moments — when tension with North Korea has been at one of the highest points in decades, and when Mr. Kim’s government has promised more missile tests and threatened an atmospheric nuclear test.

During the Cold War there were many false alarms. William J. Perry, the defense secretary during the Clinton administration, recalled in his memoir, “My Journey at the Nuclear Brink,” a moment in 1979 when, as an under secretary of defense, he was awakened by a watch officer who reported that his computer system was showing 200 intercontinental ballistic missiles headed to the United States. “For one heart-stopping second I thought my worst nuclear nightmare had come true,” Mr. Perry wrote.

It turned out that a training tape had been mistakenly inserted into an early-warning system computer. No one woke up the president. But Mr. Perry went on to speculate what might have happened if such a warning had come “during the Cuban Missile Crisis or a Mideast war?”

The United States faces an especially difficult problem today, not just because of tense relations with North Korea but also because of growing fears inside the military about the cyber vulnerability of the nuclear warning system and nuclear control systems.

Because of its location, Hawaii — more than any other part of the United States — has been threatened by escalating tensions and the risks of war, and preparations have already begun there.

On Friday, the day before the erroneous alert, several hundred people attended an event in Honolulu sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce in which military commanders, politicians and others discussed the threat to the islands’ population.

“The U.S. is the designated recipient — and that’s because we are public enemy No. 1 to North Korea,” Dan Leaf, a retired Air Force lieutenant general and Pacific Command deputy commander, was quoted as saying in The Honolulu Star Advertiser.

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency has been holding “are you ready” drills. As a chain of islands, Hawaii is subject to all kinds of threats — hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis — but officials have made clear that none is more urgent now than the threat of an attack by North Korea, given how little time there would be between an alert and the detonation of a bomb.

The fifth page of an emergency preparation pamphlet issued by the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency features a picture of a rocket lifting off: “Nuclear Threat — Unlikely But Cannot Ignore It.”

Vern T. Miyagi, the administrator of the agency, said that during the drill, an employee — whom he did not identify — mistakenly pushed a button on a computer screen to send out the alert, rather than one marked to test it. He said the employee answered “yes” when asked by the system if he was sure he wanted to send the message.

Mr. Miyagi, going through a detailed timeline of the events at an afternoon news conference, said the agency tried to correct the error on social media. It took 38 minutes to send out a follow-up message canceling the original alert, which he acknowledged was a shortcoming with the alert system that the agency would fix.

Mr. Rapoza said he did not know if anyone would be disciplined for the mistake. “At this point, our major concern is to make sure we do what we need to do to reassure the public,” he said. “This is not a time for pointing fingers.”

The panic that followed the alert — if relatively short-lived — gripped the islands. There were reports of people seeking shelter by parking their cars inside a highway tunnel that cuts through a mountain. When the announcement was rescinded, a digital highway sign read: “Missile alert in error: There is no threat.”

People in Hawaii tend to know what to do to protect themselves to threats of a tsunami or a hurricane. The prospect of nuclear annihilation was entirely new terrain.

“So this was the most terrifying few minutes of my LIFE!” Paul Wilson, a professor at Brigham Young University-Hawaii, said on Twitter. “I just want to know why it took 38 minutes to announce it was a mistake?!?”

Chris Tacker, a veteran who lives in Kealakekua, said the mistake had left her angry and frustrated.

“I didn’t know where to go,” she said. “Anyone try to dig a hole in lava? Good luck trying to build a shelter. I’m stocking my liquor cabinet.”

Still, she added, “If we don’t have our sense of humor about this, it’s all over.”
Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM

From BBC

Quote:
Mobile phone users received a message saying: "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill."

State Governor David Ige apologised and said it was caused by an employee pressing the wrong button.

The US government announced there would be a full investigation.

An alert system is in place because of the potential proximity of Hawaii to North Korean missiles.

In December, the state tested its nuclear warning siren for the first time since the end of the Cold War.

he false warning message was sent to people's mobile devices, and was also broadcast on television and radio stations.

The phone message notification, all in capital letters, went out at 08:07 (18:07 GMT).

It was corrected by email 18 minutes later but there was no follow-up mobile text for 38 minutes, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports.

Governor Ige said human error during one of the thrice-daily shift changes at the state's Emergency Management Agency (EMA) was to blame for the false alert.

"It was a procedure that occurs at the change of shift where they go through to make sure that the system, that it's working. And an employee pushed the wrong button," he explained.

"It was an inadvertent mistake," said EMA administrator Vern Miyagi. "The change of shift is about three people. That should have been caught... it should not have happened."

Television and radio broadcasts across the state were interrupted with a recorded emergency message instructing people to stay indoors.

"If you are outdoors seek immediate shelter in a building. Remain indoors well away from windows. If you are driving pull safely to the side of the road and seek shelter in a building while laying on the floor. We'll announce when the threat has ended. This is not a drill!"

People in the US state have been sharing stories of momentary frenzy and the panic-stricken messages they exchanged with loved ones after they received the alert.

Videos posted on social media appeared to show students at the University of Hawaii running for shelter after the missile threat was issued.

Matt Lopresti, a member of the Hawaiian House of Representatives, was at home when he received the alert on his mobile phone.

He described how he and his family had sought shelter in a bath tub.

"We got our children, grabbed our emergency supplies, put them in our most enclosed room in our house which is our bathroom," he told local broadcaster KGMB.

"We put them in the bath tub, said our prayers, tried to find out what the hell was going on because we didn't hear any alarms, any of the sirens.

"There's not much else you can do in that situation. You know, we did what we could... and I am very angry right now because it shouldn't be this easy to make such a big mistake."

Golfers were also thrown into alarm ahead of the US PGA Hawaii Open in Honolulu, with US player Talor Gooch tweeting that "birdies didn't seem too important for a few minutes".

After the US military confirmed no missile threat had been detected, and the alert had been released in error, Governor Ige explained:

"It was a procedure that occurs at the change of shift which they go through to make sure that the system is working, and an employee pushed the wrong button."

US President Donald Trump, who was in Florida at the time of the alert, was briefed on the false alert, the White House said.

Senator Mazie Hirono, a Democrat from Hawaii, tweeted: "Today's alert was a false alarm. At a time of heightened tensions, we need to make sure all information released to the community is accurate. We need to get to the bottom of what happened and make sure it never happens again."

North Korea's missile and nuclear programme is seen as a growing threat to America. Hawaii is one of the US states closest to North Korea.

In September Pyongyang carried out its sixth nuclear test.

Last month, the Star-Advertiser reported that a missile launched from North Korea could strike Hawaii within 20 minutes of launch.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Loving the interviews of the 'suffering' tourists. OMG! Something didn't happen and you had a meltdown and are so happy to return to Canada.

Meanwhile they book their next holiday to Mexico for 'safety reasons' because of how dangerous Hawaii is and they get murdered.

A: NK's missiles will be of unknown accuracy/reliability. Quite likely to crash into the ocean even without countermeasures.
B: The USA has some pretty sweet defensive countermeasure capabilities and with the base in Guam has at least two lines of defense, the second being whatever vessels are at Pearl Harbor itself or patrolling nearby.

I would imagine the base would also have fixed air defenses, they've had 77 years to prepare and upgrade those since the last time around.

Maybe there will be a seat sale to Hawaii and some of us can cash in on the deals available. Hey, it beats a backpacking trip to Afghanistan and the subsequent visit with our own PM!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Glad the person responsible doesn’t have trumps big red button on their desk....

Trump had it installed on his golf cart with a backup app on his phone. When all you do is golf and tweet these important items need to be handy.

"when I'm elected president I won't be spending all of my time on the golf course like Barack Obama did....and if I DO and CNN reports on it...It'll be fake news"
Old 01-14-2018, 10:32 AM

It shouldn’t have happened but it did. In Hawaii, many felt it was plausible given the rhetoric between leaders. Also something that shouldn’t have happened but did. Some of the US channels carried video of people putting their kids down manholes on the street. The silver lining was a real life demonstration of the state of preparedness. Good time to invest in companies selling bomb shelters in Hawaii.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
It shouldn’t have happened but it did. In Hawaii, many felt it was plausible given the rhetoric between leaders. Also something that shouldn’t have happened but did. Some of the US channels carried video of people putting their kids down manholes on the street. The silver lining was a real life demonstration of the state of preparedness. Good time to invest in companies selling bomb shelters in Hawaii.
There's definitely a lesson here, and a real eye opener to how (un)prepared majority of people are, as well as a good look at what the state's "startle-response" is, should such an event take place in the future.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM

My friends son and GF are on Maui and woke up to both their phones going crazy with alarms and this text...

Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Talking . Aloha !

"HaHa, I see you running around like scared rabbits.

"Just wait till the real one comes!"
Old 01-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Banned

Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 PM

Thumbs down

I was in Hawaii in 2011 when the Earthquake hit Japan, when there was risk of radiation hitting the Islands, and when the Tsunami sirens were going off for hours. There were rocks showing in the harbour that 70 year old residents had never seen before. There was not widespread panic, there was still water available at the ABC stores, but the high roads into the mountains were absolutely jammed. Everyone was told to go to hotels at least 10 stories up in case the floodwaters came in. Look at what happened in Japan.
To laugh at the people there is lets say uninformed and insensitive.
This was an orchestrated event, people in power knew that if Hawaii was targeted, Oahu in particular for whatever reason a couple million people would die instantly, if it was a nuclear attack.
I would completely understand the panic, imagine how horrific the day would have been. Every news outlet, every television radio siriusXM, all the police radios and cell phones on the Islands playing 'there is a missile enroute, this is not a drill'.
I would say 95% of the people there would be in complete hysterics, the children and women would be completely inconsolable, and a hell of a lot of the men too. This could have been the start of WW3, but lol, those stupid tourists, nothing happened how can you be suffering???
How fast do you think Pearl Harbour can be cleaned out?
Sitting here I would like to say I would have sat on the beach and waited for the end, but I honestly can't say what I would have done.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I'm still perplexed as to why people can't post the text of the article.
CNN
CBC

I won't open any of their links.
Why give them traffic when all they are is puppets for the left leaning?
I don't understand why people expect to be spoon-fed the news, any revenue that your traffic would generate would be next to nothing. In any case you can google the topic and find the news site of your choice

Back to the topic at hand, I agree that this seems like its way beyond the screw up of any one person. What a world we live in
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

I have a feeling it was not a screw up at all. But somebody/some group is going to get thrown under the bus.

Now the authorities there know how people will react if it is not a drill.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post

It's a good thing the US military double-through-octuple checked things before responding with things that fly at Mach 3+. Imagine the expense of pressing the abort button on many hundreds of missiles 2/3 of the way to their destination.....
Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

Pointless really.

In the event of all out nuclear war hope you are in the blast zone, or get to ground zero as quickly as possible.

How long does it take for any intercontinental missle to reach its intended target(s)?

Not like you get an advance warning that it’s going to be fired,
Only when it’s all ready fired and inbound.

Thanks but I’d rather not know it’s coming and go about my day.

If it happens and I die instantly I won’t know it anyway.

If it happens and don’t I hope to be killed quickly in the radiation fallout or nuclear win
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM

I heard on the news that, in reality, by the time the launch is detected, confirmed by secondary systems, and the trajectory is determined, they have already lost 6-7 minutes of a flight that would take 22 minutes to get from N.Korea to Hawaii.

That leaves you like 14-15 minutes - there really is no point, by the time the alarm sounds, to do anything other than hug your loved ones.

I could see how this could have caused hysteria and panic. Maybe traffic accidents and even suicides.

Scary nonetheless.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM

When people are noting the flight time of some of these missiles it has me curious of the actual speed of the things. Commercial flights from Hawaii to Seoul clock in at around 8 hours....... I doubt these missiles are going 16 times the speed of a commercial jet. Four to five times faster, no problem; 16+ Times faster, I have my doubts.

Oops, it seems my doubts were wrong, lots of entries note that ICBM's clock in around 15,000 mph. I'll leave it up anyways.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:53 PM

I was watching the missile launch facts when Kim was testing last time, the so called expert said you've got about 45 minutes from North Korea to the US mainland. Not a lot of time, I guess the missile heads way up into space and then re-enters at the end, so can't really track it either. Mankind is doomed, nobody can seem to get along, some yahoo is going to push the button yet
Old 01-15-2018, 04:00 PM

It is both funny and not funny at the same time. Maybe too early for some jokes however some reality is funny.

On the serious side one has to hope no one either died of the stress nor committed suicide rather than hit by radiation fall out.

On the lesser serious side...maybe a run on the "day after" pill. No point using protection if we are dying.

Also...on the intermediate side...I wonder how many marriages are ending because a partner said to the other...since we are all going to die I want to live my last seconds with the one I really love.

Then there is the fallout politically.

The goof that made the mistake is out of a job. Hard to live that down. Still...I would ask. Was he trained to know what buttons to push when? If yes...resignation accepted. If not...resignation rejected and mr boss person is let go. Accountability and consequences for something so critical seems to be lax.

Then there is people thinking North Korea is laughing. Ummm. Not. If I were North Korean I would of shut my pants. Simply put...If a nuke hit Hawaii from North Korea it would be followed up by a massive number of short range missiles hitting all their missile launch points. Followed by a few US nukes. Kim would be dead as would most of North Korea.

Still...if you are North Korea...why on earth would you hit Hawaii...minimal damage to US infrastructure for 100% of the after pain on North Korea. You would want a missile to hit anywhere in mainland USA.

That being said...they know the US could potentially knock them out of the sky...which means bam...they still get shut bombed.

In all sense of reality...common sense dictates no missile would ever hit Hawaii. Yes...I do believe neither Kim nor Donald want to launch nukes. They just want to bluster. Cause what is the point of being obnoxious if you are dead.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM

Thumbs down

There is no funny.

Making light of something so serious is easy sitting in a chair at home in Canada Sundancefisher.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There is no funny.

Making light of something so serious is easy sitting in a chair at home in Canada Sundancefisher.
You miss the point. Different people are reporting different views on that.

In the time for me it would be brutal. You have to assume the facts are facts. That missile is coming. Then...ops a mistake.

The story for instance of the couple that went to town on the hotel room bar fridge only to have a $278 tab on their bill.

You have an opinion as one not there or where you?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It is both funny and not funny at the same time. Maybe too early for some jokes however some reality is funny.
You say it's funny. You say it's not funny.

Quote:
You miss the point. Different people are reporting different views on that. In the time for me it would be brutal. You have to assume the facts are facts. That missile is coming. Then...ops a mistake. The story for instance of the couple that went to town on the hotel room bar fridge only to have a $278 tab on their bill. You have an opinion as one not there or where you?
You miss the point. Who cares what different people are reporting. You say 'its funny its not I hope nobody commited suicide maybe they chemically aborted'

I see no humor in any of that.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You say it's funny. You say it's not funny.

You miss the point. Who cares what different people are reporting. You say 'its funny its not I hope nobody commited suicide maybe they chemically aborted'

I see no humor in any of that.
Hmmm. And that is the side I said was not funny. I can tell you are traumatized more than me. Likely as you have a deeper connection to Hawaii from all your vacations.

Fact is yes. It was a terrible thing to have happen. Hopefully no one died as a result.

People are a resilient lot and we seem to find humor as a way of coping as well as remembering so that a similar thing doesn’t happen again.

Feel free to actually read all I wrote.

And yes seeing all the people running for shelter is freaky.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. And that is the side I said was not funny. I can tell you are traumatized more than me. Likely as you have a deeper connection to Hawaii from all your vacations. Fact is yes. It was a terrible thing to have happen. Hopefully no one died as a result. People are a resilient lot and we seem to find humor as a way of coping as well as remembering so that a similar thing doesn’t happen again. Feel free to actually read all I wrote. And yes seeing all the people running for shelter is freaky.
I am not traumatized by it, quit being ridiculous.

"INCOMING MISSILE" anywhere would terrify people.

The truth is I feel for people, maybe you do not?

For someone as seemingly well travelled and outspoken as you are on every single thread ever in general, these replies sure seem out of character for you.

I am not saying we should all declare a day of grieving for the poor people that had a scare, but making light of something so sinister is well lets say in the utmost of poor taste.

Have you ever heard anyone mention December 7 1941? Check it out on Google, see if maybe just possibly the locale of Hawaii would have some bearing on people being terrified.

And yes, you are entitled to your opinion. I have mine. I will leave it at that.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
There is no funny.

Bet the hotel laundries are busy washing all those poopy bermuda shorts.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I am not traumatized by it, quit being ridiculous.

"INCOMING MISSILE" anywhere would terrify people.

The truth is I feel for people, maybe you do not?

For someone as seemingly well travelled and outspoken as you are on every single thread ever in general, these replies sure seem out of character for you.

I am not saying we should all declare a day of grieving for the poor people that had a scare, but making light of something so sinister is well lets say in the utmost of poor taste.

Have you ever heard anyone mention December 7 1941? Check it out on Google, see if maybe just possibly the locale of Hawaii would have some bearing on people being terrified.

And yes, you are entitled to your opinion. I have mine. I will leave it at that.
I am certainly not feeling the concern to the same level as you. Nor likely were the others that posted the memes. Given that the start of WWII was real for the islands and this was a human error and no missiles were launched I see you making it a big stretch to connect to two so yes...it is seen differently than you.

Not sure how else to articulate. You are taking this very hard. You may not think so but based upon your posts to me I see it that way.

At no time did I make light of everyone nor of the whole situation. I pointed out both sides as one can reasonably see it. In fact I did acknowledge the bad side of the mistake. However...to seemingly get so upset over a mistake of which someone is feeling far worse than anyone due to their impact on others...taking a step back...we can agree to disagree on the severity of the impact on mankind or Hawaii.

PS Don't watch late night talk shows for a while.