Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-12-2020, 11:23 PM
AO Sponsor

Default GFW Quick Trip - Pre Christmas - Dec 17-19

Old 12-12-2020, 11:34 PM
AO Sponsor

I am also planning for the next trip shortly after Christmas.

Expect Dec 29-31 for the next buying run.

Ideally December buying will be limited to Coyote, Red Fox, Lynx, Marten, Fisher, Badger and Castor.

Call and/or text 403-654-7160 to arrange a buying appointment
Old 12-13-2020, 10:45 AM

Default fur

Mary what range of pricing is being considered for this fur buying run?
Old 12-14-2020, 07:58 PM

Default Coyotes

Marty if you want to catch coyotes you need some bait and if you want trappers to bring you coyotes you will have to bait us with some numbers. Richard
Old 12-14-2020, 11:34 PM
AO Sponsor

Sorry, been very busy.

$150 top, must be very big 2XL-3XL AB colour Select

$130 for regular Selects

Then drop on I-II's then drop on GD II's then drop on AVE II's

Lotsa $100+ coyotes yet, think quality.

Lo grades are cheap this year. Early coyotes will be discounted, if they are flat they will sell at semi-heavy prices as that is how it always is in the real world. Northern earlies seem to have significantly more hair than southern earlies... gotta hate southern earlies. Coyotes that are dished down the back or worse are in that category.

However, high grades are decent prices. Everybody keeps yelling emphasis on colour this year... yes... true. The Italians are currently sitting out. The western world basically is largely sitting but the east is still going, they probly have their whole population on ivermectin or some preventative and life is going on seemingly basically unfettered. Believe it or not, it was the Italians who were pushing on the darks and buying the Easterns a short while back, reason being a whole 'nother story, but I heard it straight from Mateo Rebellato's mouth at the last NAFA May sale in history, which numerous people were claiming could possibly be the last May sale we'd ever see! Ya... they was right.

So not really a premium on bright colours really, unless your some nut job running around pretending to be the money man or the candy man??? but sales at stated levels with a drop on the darker colours, not the spectacular dark clear stuff but the browns, oranges and yucky belly stuff, C is off, D for Definitely off! The weird thing is this, the Chinese folks want the bright colours, it is not a western push.

DO NOT SKIN LICE COYOTES THIS YEAR!

The cash parade is over on the low end goods. The end users have lots of coyotes, however GFW has the largest customer in the world, of coyotes, as a customer and has worked hard to secure that customer.

Decent averages will be paid for collections of heavy, winter prime goods. Averages will be off for collections with October goods. As well averages will fall sharp if you have any abundance of Section 3 goods, meaning III's IV's and DGD's (as in DGD 1, DGD 2, DGD3, not meaning slights from sew jobs)(unless horrifying)

So do understand the magnitude of the drop in demand on coyotes at the current time, yet the price of GFW is staying steady on heavy, quality goods. With the covid shutdowns across the western world, the finished fur goods sales stopped abruptly, comprising the second half of our selling season...

Interpretation: this essentially means that many of our markets still have goods, lots of goods. Supply... they have supplies, left over supplies because they were closed for the second half of our end user fur selling season. This means those end users do not need as much goods as they normally would. Then couple with the fact that our trapper production of coyotes was very good, so good in fact that I believe I could quite accurately claim we had a huge harvest in AB, my prediction being 52,500 coyotes which is surely a 25 year record???(knowing what the various buyers did + auction (What say you Davey?)(although I never checked with what the regs said, regs would likely be very off post-NAFA currently)

So the nice thing is GFW has the best coyote customer going, he want coyotes, wants lotsa coyotes, and I'm not kidding. However with a lack of competition, there is no mass push for the coyotes as in buyers fighting over goods like last year and everybody going crazy trying to push the price up and up and away... generally due to one idiotic misconception after another after another.

I don't know if I like the buying game. Trapping so much more fun. But I'm in the buying game again this year so I will see what I can get done.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the informations and thanks for keeping the furs market alive during this rough period. Unfortunalely, I won't have any fur ready for your visit this weekend. I'm behind my schedule but I should have some later on if you come back this winter. Be safe on the road and have a good Christmas time.

Marty from Wainwright.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:08 AM

Marty, just wanted update on this years fur prices, but did appreciate the entire text book.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:13 AM

What would a guy expect for whole, shot coyotes? I plan on doing some coyote calling with my son. Using 22-250 so shouldn't be no big holes...
Thanks
Old 12-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Last year they where only taking put up fur, not sure if that changed this year or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2020, 05:56 AM

Hey Marty, what are you paying for frozen coyotes?
Old 12-16-2020, 06:13 AM
AO Sponsor

The fat one was buying whole coyotes last year.

I buy a few whole coyotes on my own as little sideline business while i am buying dry goods for GFW.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Marty you didn’t answer the question. $$$$
Old 12-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Looked to me like he had a pretty good explanation of expected dollars.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Paying a decent buck. I generally dont like broadcasting online what i pay because there could be/is the odd buyer out there who feels threatened, perhaps even on an extremely short fuse, who misunderstands completely the whole grading/buying/etc game and reacts abruptly, irrationally... etc

Funny thing is a lot of buyers in the the buying game dont even know how to grade!!!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Dang... she could be cold tomorrow morning!!! Best be dressin up.

I didnt bring me fur hat. I havent picked one yet. I do have particular taste.

I had a beautiful coyote bomber hat once upon a time. Warmest thing i ever wore, i loved it! Except snaring at -20 was kind of hot with it on when packing 8-10 back at a stop. Then some scoundrel broke into my garage and the only thing he stole was my hat.

Why trappers dont wear fur much is very strange. Promote your product, wear it everywhere. And, if you work when it is bitterly cold outside it will keep your head warmer than its ever been in winter.

I do vividly remember one particular winter day, -46 Celcius and I drove to the Milk River, very, very cold... yet my head was warm, comfortable warm, in the coyote fur! The day sticks out in my mind. Wickedly sharp breeze, head is comfy warm in pale coyote fur, live bobcat in a Ram... very memorable! A very large white bellied tom! It was a great excuse that day to go visit the manager, show him the cat, i got to stand in his porch and get warm even tho i didnt like him!!!

Last edited by Marty S; 12-17-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:43 AM

At least give us a ball park figure.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:52 AM

If you are paying decent money for frozen coyotes, maybe not worth skinning.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Just pm me and I’ll be happy to tell you. Or text, full days every day these days, the fun never ends!

Sent you a message Coydawg. Will send you one too mike just cuz I hear how badly you would like to know things! Uncle Larry sez so! But I’ll text you. He was screwing with your mind earlier, and now look what happened!!!

I’d even pay a premium on snared

Last edited by Marty S; 12-18-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:56 AM

Travel safe.
Icy yesterday north of Edmonton. Cool this morn but warming up. Warmer tomorrow, Saturday.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:31 PM

He gave a good run down on his prices, he has to see the quality and how they were handled before he can give you a solid price. There still are 130 + dollar dogs out there but they must be exceptional. I don't have any those LOL. Early and wooly dogs are on the other end 30-40 bucks. Shoulder mites 5-20 bucks. Good trapping folks.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:30 AM

Marty, I still like to wear my muskrat hat in very cold weather, very warm.