Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Default I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
So are you a F&W officer? Or an expert in the various wildlife related acts?

Or are you just some factory worker that eat a Mars bar today.
Now why did you come off like that?

I don't work in a factory as I don't work. I did that before, now I just snare rabbits on crown land. I don't eat Mars or Snickers bars......just rabbit jerky and maybe an Eatmore.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. It's pretty basic and has been in play for decades. Anyone can be an expert in "wildlife related acts". All it takes is a certain level of comprehension. You don't have to go any further than post #3 to get the correct answer to the OP's question.

Last edited by CNP; 12-31-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jeepers keg....person wants to snare rabbits on land he/she legally can access...yes they can providing....

Snare devices, including neck snares, power snares and foot snares, may only be set for the taking of fur-bearing animals under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or
— by holders of Resident Fur Management Licences for bobcat, coyote, fox, squirrel or wolf (provided they meet the requirements listed in this section) and for beaver (provided the snare loop is completely under water).
— by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter

The last paragraph sums it up for the OP.....

Not getting into what if's someone was to attempt to bend the rules and play stupid then they will be dealt with by the LEO's accordingly.

No what if, I quoted from the hunting regulations.

You said it is black and white, I showed you where it is not, so you avoid the question and claim it's a what if question.

Smooth, and horribly dishonest.

It is obvious the regulations are not clear on this issue.

So as I said, you may be able to legally set snares on public land, but it is best to get confirmation from a F&W officer first.

Others said the same thing but you pick me to insult.

Way to make AO a family friendly place dude. Good on ya.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-31-2020, 12:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
No what if, I quoted from the hunting regulations.

You said it is black and white, I showed you where it is not, so you avoid the question and claim it's a what if question.

Smooth, and horribly dishonest.

It is obvious the regulations are not clear on this issue.

So as I said, you may be able to legally set snares on public land, but it is best to get confirmation from a F&W officer first.

Others said the same thing but you pick me to insult.

Way to make AO a family friendly place dude. Good on ya.
You have right of access on crown land....public land with permission....to hunt/snare skunk....what's not to understand? aaaand Snare devices, including neck snares, power snares and foot snares, may only be set for the taking of fur-bearing animals under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence or by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter

I think your confusion is mixing up trapping and snaring....

The OP asked a simple question in which the regs tells him/her exactly what they can and cant do...if they want they can confirm with F&W too....no biggie but from my perspective and what is in the regs the OP can carry on and get stew meat.....is all I am saying.

and as for insulting you, you got me confused maybe with another but that's all right too...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2020, 03:05 PM

Default Take a breath, everyone.

Jeesh guys,
I was just hoping to get a definitive answer to my question, not start a multi page game of "I know more than you do", and "You're a a-hole cause we disagree !!".

I've read and reread the regulations, but they aren't totally clear on this subject. To many parts that can be interpreted differently.
I'm waiting on a reply from a F&W officer, hoping to get one beginning of next week, after holidays and such.

I'll post what I find out, then we'll have a definitive answer.

I hope you all have a great evening and best wishes for the New Year.

Hopefully, arguing about rabbit snaring rules will be the most conflict we all have to deal with.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYONE!
See ya on the flip side.
Ken
Old 12-31-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Jeesh guys,
I was just hoping to get a definitive answer to my question, not start a multi page game of "I know more than you do", and "You're a a-hole cause we disagree !!".

I've read and reread the regulations, but they aren't totally clear on this subject. To many parts that can be interpreted differently.
I'm waiting on a reply from a F&W officer, hoping to get one beginning of next week, after holidays and such.

Hopefully, arguing about rabbit snaring rules will be the most conflict we all have to deal with.

See ya on the flip side.
Ken
Same to you take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR:sHa_shakeshou t:

Old 12-31-2020, 04:59 PM

Not sure if I understand you Cat. From what your saying about trapping and snaring not being the same, with that understanding if I only snare coyotes and not us leg hold traps then I shouldn’t need a trappers license because I’m not really trapping. ???
Old 12-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Jeesh guys,

See ya on the flip side.
Ken
Sorry about that. It was a good question.

It's only a small number of individuals who seem to think they are responsible for correcting certain people.
It's a bit annoying but a fact of life on AO.

I would ignore them but they talk as though they are experts, when they actually know very little. The problem with that is they dominate threads if unchallenged and thus lead inexperienced people astray.

As you say the regulations are not at all clear on the matter, nore are all F&W in agreement as to what is allowed. I've asked and gotten different answers from different officers. It seems at least a few of them are not sure what the wording means either.
Which is why I recommend asking a local officer, since he would not be likely to go against his own word.

Best of luck with your snaring. Happy New Year.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-02-2021, 08:31 AM

Hey Cat I’m still waiting for your understanding of this.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:53 AM

I've been following This Thread did we ever get an answer on this question

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2021, 09:14 AM

Section 7(9), schedule 1, Wildlife Regulation

(9) Rabbit and hare may be hunted by a resident by means of a snare made of a single strand wire of a gauge commonly referred to as No. 20 or greater and with a snare loop diameter not greater than 5 inches.

Does not mention anything about where it is limited.

People really have to stop looking at the synopsis and following it blindly without looking at the actual law.

Seems pretty clear to me. Go ahead and hunt by way of snare, just follow the limitations.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I've been following This Thread did we ever get an answer on this question

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Post # 3 but some people can't handle the truth.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Hey Cat I’m still waiting for your understanding of this.
Hey Trapper I am just going to sit the rest of this one out....pick and choose which hill to die on....packing up heading out for lakers….beautiful day to get fresh air....

Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

I would like to point out that usually when the regs are addressing hunting or trapping on crown land they use the line "throughout the province"

This is often accompanied by something about private land using the line, "right of access to"

It may be true that we effectively have right of access to crown land, but I don't see where the term is used in conjunction with discussion about hunting or trapping on crown land. At least not in official publications.

If anyone can point to where the term is clearly used to refer to access to crown land I'll be glad to take that into consideration.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-02-2021, 07:11 PM

Good one cat. Make a statement and then run and hide instead of backing it up.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Default go snaring

Funny it was alright when the question was asked in this thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=116793

It just depends on who responds. One thing that doesn't change is that the regulations say that it is permitted throughout the province on land which the person has the right of access for hunting, all year and without a license. What does this mean? Exactly and precisely what is says.......there is nothing hidden in there.

Too many deep thinkers me thinks
Old 01-02-2021, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Funny it was alright when the question was asked in this thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=116793

It just depends on who responds. One thing that doesn't change is that the regulations say that it is permitted throughout the province on land which the person has the right of access for hunting, all year and without a license. What does this mean? Exactly and precisely what is says.......there is nothing hidden in there.

Too many deep thinkers me thinks
Are you sure? Last night I woke up in a cold sweat not knowing if I should turn myself in or not.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Good one cat. Make a statement and then run and hide instead of backing it up.
Killing Device
1. a device designed and set in a manner to trap and kill a fur- bearing animal by the action of the trap;
2. a snare set to tighten on the neck of a fur-bearing animal in order to kill it, where the energy to tighten the snare is
provided by the animal; or
3. a device that is set so that it will hold and kill a fur-bearing animal under water.

Your welcome

Old 01-03-2021, 01:41 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you sure? Last night I woke up in a cold sweat not knowing if I should turn myself in or not.
This will pass with time....kinda like beaver fever....

Old 01-06-2021, 10:42 AM

OP. did f&w ever give you an answer?
Old 01-06-2021, 02:30 PM

So I’m guessing that we’ve proven that snaring is trapping.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So I’m guessing that we’ve proven that snaring is trapping.
No we’ve proven that snaring rabbits isn’t trapping
Old 01-10-2021, 07:55 PM

Sorry,
The days have been busy and time got away from me.
I haven't received any response from my emails to this point.
I assumed even with this "Pandemic " lockdown that F&W officers would be working and I'd get a definitive answer.
I'll try to make some calls this week and find an office that is open and see if I can get a reply.
I will post whatever I find out as soon as I can.
I know a lot of people are certain it's fine, but the reg's on this leave too much to personal interpretation IMO.
Ken
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM

I've been snaring them on crown land for 20+ years in this province. It's perfectly legal. Just follow the directions regarding gauge and loop size.

Neck snares only because a rabbit that gets caught by the foot can freak completely out and wrap itself among the trees and branches shrieking and wailing and busting up its bones. It's a rotten feeling to have to unwind the back leg (busted so badly it moves like a rope) of a hare from around a small spruce tree.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 01-11-2021, 12:52 PM

Because this thread needs it....

Another statement that YES, it is legal for residents to hunt and snare rabbits (by defined means) on public and private land (with permission) year round, even on a licensed trap line.
No license or permit needed.

No need to provide the regulations again, they have been posted here many times.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-11-2021, 05:41 PM

Default A definitive answer.

Alright,
Hopefully this puts this long, drawn out thread to sleep.
I spoke with a local F&W officer today. I've spoke with him before regarding other topics, and he seems to be really on the ball.
He said that snaring, as well as hunting rabbits on crown land IS legal, as long as the requirements are followed.
As far as how a RFMA affects this, which was my main concern in the original question. Rabbits/hares are not considered a furbearer, so the RFMA doesn't affect the rules.
I told him about this thread, and that many feel that the regulations have many parts open to personal interpretation. He said this type of question is common.
I personally feel that the regulations have a lot of parts that can be interpreted differently by various people, they even have a disclaimer that states that the reg's are not a legal document. I think this type of varied interpretation is the reason.
Far easier to ask an officer than deal with the troubles after you've broken the law over a misunderstanding, IMO.
Thanks for the lively discussion.
Ken
Old 01-11-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Alright,
Hopefully this puts this long, drawn out thread to sleep.
I spoke with a local F&W officer today. I've spoke with him before regarding other topics, and he seems to be really on the ball.
He said that snaring, as well as hunting rabbits on crown land IS legal, as long as the requirements are followed.
As far as how a RFMA affects this, which was my main concern in the original question. Rabbits/hares are not considered a furbearer, so the RFMA doesn't affect the rules.
I told him about this thread, and that many feel that the regulations have many parts open to personal interpretation. He said this type of question is common.
I personally feel that the regulations have a lot of parts that can be interpreted differently by various people, they even have a disclaimer that states that the reg's are not a legal document. I think this type of varied interpretation is the reason.
Far easier to ask an officer than deal with the troubles after you've broken the law over a misunderstanding, IMO.
Thanks for the lively discussion.
Ken
Now go get some for the stew pot

Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 PM

Absolutely.
Looking forward to stew and dumplings.
It's been a few decades since I had it last.
Have a good evening.
Ken
Old 01-14-2021, 06:02 AM

I got permission to set snares on a new & close area. 15-20 HA (?). So I did a walk about first, to check it out. No new snow for a long time.
As Bunny hunters know, one can make a pile of tracks in one night......this whole area was covered in tracks.
Shot 3 (head shots only for me).

So, the reason for this post is, we got a bunch of new snow yesterday.
Today I'll walk the area again, to get a better idea on how many live there.

If you got new snow, it is a very good time to check your areas !
Old 02-07-2021, 10:04 AM

Muddy the waters why don't ya.

Albertans have the right to hunt registered traplines areas.

Albertans may hunt and snare hare on any land they have access to, ie crown land or private land with permission, registered traplines.

The regulations are clear. Can't believe some of you get past the first stop sign you encounter!

A trapper hanging a sign indicating an active trapline beside your snares means nothing, but implies a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hare Swing Pole (2).jpg (76.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Muddy the waters why don't ya.

Albertans have the right to hunt registered traplines areas.

Albertans may hunt and snare hare on any land they have access to, ie crown land or private land with permission, registered traplines.

The regulations are clear. Can't believe some of you get past the first stop sign you encounter!

A trapper hanging a sign indicating an active trapline beside your snares means nothing, but implies a lot.
Nice tip up

Yeah we get people snaring rabbits on our line. No big deal. The chances of lost fur or damage to trails is as high or higher to recreational snowmobiles.
If someone is working your line and catching rabbits that’s fine but if they start stealing or messing with stuff that’s different. Late season grouse hunters looking for ruffies and ptarmigan? Same difference. Everyone has a right to the land , all you can do is just hope they also have respect .