Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Default Can I drop data into a ballistic app and dial and hit out to 1000 yards?

My short answer is absolutely. If your input is accurate and complete, it is amazing how accurate this can be. Thoughts or experience?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-01-2020, 03:05 PM

I have seen some work well, and others not so well.
One friend of mine uses Straloc and it works very well for him in both his 308 and his 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1K, both confirmed .
I think it depends a lot on the accuracy of the input data and whether or not the rifle and shooter themselves are capable of the accuracy needed out to 1K
Cat
Old 07-01-2020, 03:06 PM

What were you expecting Chuck? That’s what these apps were designed for. When I first started shooting out past a 1000 yards I was using I snipe then AB mobile. Most of these apps work well if given good Data. My target is setup 1100 yards away from my bench. For a known distance like this I know if I dial 23.5 moa with the 7LRM and 27.5 moa with the 6.5-284 the steel will ring every time unless the wind is bad.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have seen some work well, and others not so well.
One friend of mine uses Straloc and it works very well for him in both his 308 and his 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1K, both confirmed .
I think it depends a lot on the accuracy of the input data and whether or not the rifle and shooter themselves are capable of the accuracy needed out to 1K
Cat
Agreed. The input has to be complete and your zero absolutely confirmed.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-01-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
What were you expecting Chuck? That’s what these apps were designed for. When I first started shooting out past a 1000 yards I was using I snipe then AB mobile. Most of these apps work well if given good Data. My target is setup 1100 yards away from my bench. For a known distance like this I know if I dial 23.5 moa with the 7LRM and 27.5 moa with the 6.5-284 the steel will ring every time unless the wind is bad.
I’ve always had great luck just inputting data and hitting. But you always hear that these are just to get you close. Well, most times they are really close.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-02-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My short answer is absolutely. If your input is accurate and complete, it is amazing how accurate this can be. Thoughts or experience?
I've used the one I chose (Applied Ballistics) out to 2600 yards with great success. I have 2 instruments for the inputs. First my Terrapin (range finder) ranges the target. It then talks to my Kestrel that has all of the environmentals and rifle/bullet data. And AB in the Kestrel gives me my solution.

Proper inputs (data) will yield great results. All or most of the offerings these days work very well.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Default yes

Gravity is a constant
Your Bullets BC "should be" a constant
Your Velocity if your using a good Chrono should be in an extreme spread range that allows you to hit consistently

The big factor at 1000M is wind that is the toughest varible
Old 07-02-2020, 03:51 PM

Back in the old Basic and FORTRAN programming days the adage was:
Garbage
In
Garbage
Out

The same applies with modern programs.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-02-2020, 05:02 PM

I think BC values more often than not need to be verified before someone can do that but at the risk of redundancy, proper data in with the setup that can accomplish it and the skill behind it, yes. I guess what I’m saying is the programs are sufficient in the math behind it.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:12 PM
Banned

i've done it pretty basic off the old botw formula, collect your drop data and your atmospheric and velocity on the day of collection, zero needs to be dead on as you say, then even using basic online ballistics calculators you can back calculate a 'true bc' so your profile can then work out to much further, if i collect data from 200 yrd zero out to 500-550 yards then i've dialed up out to 930 and landed within a few inches of point of aim, further to that, during the test i knew at that distance i had an extra thousand/maybe two thousand feet of elevation to correct for, 1 click for every 1000' was the rot i used and in actual practice i would have been fine to leave it alone, i over compensated, had i left it alone i would have damn near hit exactly my poa on the 930 yrd test

i set my data, or in this case 'speed dial turrets' up for 5000' elevation and 5 degrees C and they get me out to those distances even at sheep elevations, do well on the cold stuff for coyotes too, looked at a lot of data and examples to land on that setting and i've seen no reason to change for the 3700-9000' ranges i hunt