Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

Default Pheasant release sites

Just wondering if anyone has been out to either Bigelow Resevoir or the one by Buffalo Lake yet this year? If so, how were the bird numbers and was it crowded? Does anyone know what the bird drop off release schedule is? Someone told me last year but I can't recall. Going to head out this Thursday I think, just trying to decide which one to hit. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Release sights

I haven't been to Bigelow since last year but saw some interesting stuff last friday at a Brooks area release sight.

We swung by on our way home to try and fill our limit and there were about 5people in the field pretty well spread out. So we got the dogs out and got set up. Headed out into the field to see what we could find. We got about half way back when we saw the release truck commin down the road......being chased by 2 other trucks. Before the release truck made it's way into the field the 2 other trucks had come to a stop and "hunters" were piling out.
(i use the term hunters loosely)

We stopped and watched the scene unfold.

Grown men chasing a truck thru the field, not walking but running.
Shooting the birds right after release before they hit the ground.
And when they did hit the ground they ran up and shot em where they sat.

It was a sad sight and all we could do was laugh at them. There's no sport in that. I guess that's why I prefer goin after wild ones.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM

I thought there were rules to hunting release sites?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 PM

yes, there is a rule: you cannot hunt pheasant or any other upland on pheasant release sites after 1400 except of Sunday.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Millicent , buffalo and bigalow all close at 2pm but open all day Saturday, But there are several other release site around Brooks, Ask for a Map from the EID or Canadian Pheasant Company.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Banned

Are they making public the releases further south?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I haven't been to Bigelow since last year but saw some interesting stuff last friday at a Brooks area release sight.

We swung by on our way home to try and fill our limit and there were about 5people in the field pretty well spread out. So we got the dogs out and got set up. Headed out into the field to see what we could find. We got about half way back when we saw the release truck commin down the road......being chased by 2 other trucks. Before the release truck made it's way into the field the 2 other trucks had come to a stop and "hunters" were piling out.
(i use the term hunters loosely)

We stopped and watched the scene unfold.

Grown men chasing a truck thru the field, not walking but running.
Shooting the birds right after release before they hit the ground.
And when they did hit the ground they ran up and shot em where they sat.

It was a sad sight and all we could do was laugh at them. There's no sport in that. I guess that's why I prefer goin after wild ones.

Why????????
I cannot beleive that some of the folks on here call themselves bird hunters. If you are a bird hunter, you have no business hunting a release site. Dont even get in discussion about hunting birds if thats all you have to talk about. This is not directed at the person that I am quoting. Oh, and I dont mean to push my ethics on others, so dont assume that I am. I live in Pheasant country and am surrounded by release sites. Ive yet to do it, Im 32 and have hunted pheasant my whole life. What the he*l is wrong with some of the guys out there,,,, and on here???? Its embarrasing. Edit,,,, and unbeleivably funny at the same time, if thats possible???? And for anyone with a retort, there is no excuse for this type of thing, let alone the fact that there is a lack of excuses available for hunting a release site. Have at er fellas!! LOL!!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 10-21-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Why????????
I cannot beleive that some of the folks on here call themselves bird hunters. If you are a bird hunter, you have no business hunting a release site. Dont even get in discussion about hunting birds if thats all you have to talk about. This is not directed at the person that I am quoting. Oh, and I dont mean to push my ethics on others, so dont assume that I am. I live in Pheasant country and am surrounded by release sites. Ive yet to do it, Im 32 and have hunted pheasant my whole life. What the he*l is wrong with some of the guys out there,,,, and on here???? Its embarrasing. Edit,,,, and unbeleivably funny at the same time, if thats possible???? And for anyone with a retort, there is no excuse for this type of thing, let alone the fact that there is a lack of excuses available for hunting a release site. Have at er fellas!! LOL!!!
What goes through your head to post BS such as this stuff packhunter I will never know....

I dont post much on this board other then pictures and such because of posts like this and this isnt your first.....

To say that you cant consider a guy who hunts a release site a bird hunter is bogus!!!! I myself hunt both released and wild birds with most being wildies but have had some of my best days at release sites later in the season where my dog would solidly point 20 birds in a morning without them running and flying.... Its all about the dog for me and Im sure others....

Not to mention these so called ridiculous release sites take ALOT of pressure off albertas wild bird population when all of these out of province hunter come at the beginning of the season.....

I have an idea lets just stop all together the releasing of pheasants in alberta and see how all your wild birds do 10 years from now

I guess what im saying is think before you write this kind of stuff guy

Barbwire
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM

I am new to this whole bird hunting thing, but the one thing I can not figure out is the lack of ethics around the release sites. Shooting the birds as they are being released should and is against the law. Get the plate number and turn these people in..REPORT A POACHER
Old 10-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Default Where are the Wild Ones

I have downed my fair share of ducks and geese as well as Huns and Grouse. I am now very interested in finding the Wild Pheasants I hear so much about. I have shot about a dozen released birds in the past several seasons but was only lucky enough to shoot one Wild one. I have to say release sites and private clubs are not doing it for me. Can anyone out there give me a few hints as to where I should be looking/Knocking on doors? My springer will thank you.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Here, here Barbwire, Packhunter is way off base. I hunt wild and work my dog on release sites as well. It is a good program and should be enhanced. In the off season I buy birds from the CPC and just have some fun with the dog. Get off your high horse Packhunter.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Gone Hunting

No high horse here fellas. Go cry to someone else Barbwire. Its nothing more than a personal call on a proven time and time again train wreck. Sure, use em, have fun, train pups, train the shooters and hunters of tommorow, whatever, just dont put on blinders, turn away and call me a liar. Im not the only one that sees this bunk. Its unbeleivable that this sort of thing is allowed to happen. No where else in Alberta's hunting and fishing ranks would these types of behaviors be tolerated. Why is a pheasant release site allowed these behaviors. Its embarrasing, and theres alot more going on than that which has been brought up by the previous poster describing the JOKE that he witnessed.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

It certainly was a high and mighty. Perhaps scarey meant for you to get off your donkey.

Poor behaviors exist in every single facet of our society (even on this BB). In some settings those behaviors become more public than others. Education and modeling are the cure, not seclusion and berating.