Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Lighted nocks

What's everyone using and why are the ones you use the way to go? Do you find the help ? Distraction?

Last edited by blgoodbrand1; 12-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM

One word: Nockturnals.....

Never had one fail to light, easy to turn off, run forever it seems.

Always will indicate the final point of impact. Only a distraction until I learned to stop watching them fly (in order to watch them fly, I was pulling my bow down and not holding my form) When they hit, they *should* be right where I'm holding my pin....

I've tried the Nockturnals before Rage owned them and also after Rage bought them - doesn't make a difference in my opinion; they still work as required and expected.

They will add a little weight to your arrow, so you may need to adjust for that.

J.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:33 PM

Lumenoks! They are awesome. So helpful in finding your arrows and watching your point of impact. I strongly recommend lighted nocks for hunting.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Nockturnals work great. Simple to use
Old 12-24-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Lumenoks! They are awesome. So helpful in finding your arrows and watching your point of impact. I strongly recommend lighted nocks for hunting.
X2 learnt my lesson there.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:19 PM

I picked up some nockturnals. One issue that I foresee is they seen quite touchy. It's easy to turn them on when nocking your arrow. I don't really need a beacon to wave around while trying to draw.... Anyone else run into this?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:32 PM

They work....

LC
Old 12-24-2014, 09:04 PM

Nockturnals.. the best
Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 PM

Firenock are the brightest. Work every time. Expensive though. Nocturnals are dim in any kind of decent light. I have tried both red and green. They are ok in low light. Luminoks are bright, not always 100 reliable. Cleanshot/nock out are junk. 1 of 3 work. The 1 lasted about 10 shot then stopped.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:12 PM

click back and forth on the pics, luminoc once fitted and tested have been reliable and like mentioned bright in daylight even. I have had them turn off after the pass thru thou...chain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (51.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg bear1.jpg (50.0 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by chain2; 12-24-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 PM

nockturnals here
Old 12-25-2014, 10:37 AM

I never hunt without them, they only light up on release so they will not disturb you at all before the shot.....i switched to nocturnals this season from lumenock and really can't tell a difference in performance just like how the nocturnals switch off easily.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Banned

Lumenoks work for me.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:16 PM

have tried both, Nocturnals more reliable, had an issue with Carbon Express and the Lumenoks some times. deadly for hunting and tuning. great for finding your arrow after a pass thru or miss, pay for them selves in no time.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 PM

Have had troubles tuning nockturnals. I think my nock point is too skinny and the nock doesn't click onto the string nicely like my plain jane nocks
Old 12-25-2014, 10:23 PM

Nocturnals are the best I've found, have had a couple times were lumanocks
Have failed. Have never had a issue with nocturnals.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Another vote for nocturnals.

Tried the carbon express ones and luminoc's, they are too easy to turn on accidentally by bumping your arrows, and can be turned off by a deer if the arrow is sticking out. Sometimes blew up on impact.

The only issue I've had with the nocturnals is the X size is wider than standard and required a new d-loop to work.

Anytime you add lighted nocks, you have to paper tune. And possibly more. Ex: On one setup it made no difference, on another my broadheads went way off while field points were at the same POI. Paper tuned, got a low tear. Lesson learned.

Edit: improved my form (follow through), because I stopped looking for the arrow. Can see/track it very easily.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned

Switching to Nocturnals. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I picked up some nockturnals. One issue that I foresee is they seen quite touchy. It's easy to turn them on when nocking your arrow. I don't really need a beacon to wave around while trying to draw.... Anyone else run into this?
I would think that this may be an issue with any brand of lighted nock that uses pressure to activate it. Only advice I can give you is to "gently" nock your arrow, rather than slamming it on the string. It's just a process to practice when loading up an arrow.

Good news? With the way that a Nockturnal turns off, even if I did load an arrow and the nock came on, my small little pocket knife can reach in and turn it off while I'm waiting for game to come in, and the nock will activate when fired again.

My buddy choose pink nocks, I choose red. I can clearly see a difference between the 2, and so can he. He spots his pink ones easier; I spot my red ones easier. My son has blue Nockturnals; I can't see those at all.... Maybe I've got color blindness?

Good luck with them.

J.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=jcrayford;2674090]I would think that this may be an issue with any brand of lighted nock that uses pressure to activate it. Only advice I can give you is to "gently" nock your arrow, rather than slamming it on the string. It's just a process to practice when loading up an arrow.

Good news? With the way that a Nockturnal turns off, even if I did load an arrow and the nock came on, my small little pocket knife can reach in and turn it off while I'm waiting for game to come in, and the nock will activate when fired again.

My buddy choose pink nocks, I choose red. I can clearly see a difference between the 2, and so can he. He spots his pink ones easier; I spot my red ones easier. My son has blue Nockturnals; I can't see those at all.... Maybe I've got color blindness?

I had the same problem with the 1st couple times with the Nocturnal turning on when nocking my arrows...pretty easy to adjust. The blue ones are terrible at least for my eyes and the pink ones are the best, personal preference only. I don't think your color blind lol.....
Old 08-27-2023, 12:32 PM

Those of you that are using lighted nocks. Is the POI low compared to your standard nocks? It seems that at 50 yards I’m close to 4” low.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Those of you that are using lighted nocks. Is the POI low compared to your standard nocks? It seems that at 50 yards I’m close to 4” low.
When I used them I noticed that too. They will change the spine and foc of your arrow because there is more weight on the rear compared to regular nocks, so the point of impact may change because of that. Also because of the extra weight they will cost about 3 to 5 fps of speed, depending on how much heavier they are than the regular nock you are using so that will cause an impact point change as well.

I filled the regular nocks with epoxy and got approximately the same weight of nock as the lighted nock and a lot of the flight issues went away. Then I could just practice with regular nocks and save my hunting arrows.

Norm
Old 08-27-2023, 01:44 PM

I had a pretty poor experience with nockturnals as did my friend. I shoot standard diameter shafts and he has something smaller, not too sure on the model though. Of my 3 pack only one nock would actually stay in the arrow when fired, but it would still pop out the back whenever it struck even a soft target. I tried all 3 nocks about 20 arrows of 3 different manufacturers and 2 were loose on evey arrow and the one that was kinda tight still wouldn't hold after a shot. I ended up use fletching glue to hold them in and it worked but for how expensive they are I was severely disapointed. My friend had a similar experience with his nocks and had to glue them in as well.
And before anyone says it yes I know they come in different sizes and yes we had both bought the correct ones.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:24 PM

So far they have stayed inside the arrow shaft. My bow was tuned and my fixed blades were on target. It would be nice if they would provide three practice nocks or so. I’ll try the epoxy trick.
Old 08-27-2023, 04:38 PM

I have nocturnals for my crossbow. At 40 yards it blew the tail end off. I went and picked up some metal ones to try. I read that lumenock doesn’t make anything for carbon express arrows because they’re made with Fiberglass. I’m definitely following this post.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached Whale View Post
I had a pretty poor experience with nockturnals as did my friend. I shoot standard diameter shafts and he has something smaller, not too sure on the model though. Of my 3 pack only one nock would actually stay in the arrow when fired, but it would still pop out the back whenever it struck even a soft target. I tried all 3 nocks about 20 arrows of 3 different manufacturers and 2 were loose on evey arrow and the one that was kinda tight still wouldn't hold after a shot. I ended up use fletching glue to hold them in and it worked but for how expensive they are I was severely disapointed. My friend had a similar experience with his nocks and had to glue them in as well.
And before anyone says it yes I know they come in different sizes and yes we had both bought the correct ones.
Saran wrap is an easy fix. Cut a 2x2" square and put it over the Nocturnal and then insert it into the arrow shaft. Then burn off the excess saran wrap with a lighter. This will keep the Nocturnal nice and tight. I found I needed to do this with the universal Nockturnals, more than with the shaft specific ones.

In regards to practice arrows, I just bit the bullet and dedicated 6 Nocturnals to my practice arrows. Sounds expensive, but in the grand scheme of archery gear and hunting, it a fairly cheap option and cost about as much as a half tank of gas.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:01 AM

Been through dozens of Nockturnals. OK for hunting, awful for practice. They fall out, they don't light up, the switches break, IMO they kinda suck. Not the most reliable.

Last year I started using Firenocks. There is work involved because you have to glue in inserts into the arrow, but they are superior in every way, you can replace the battery and they even have target nocks that turn off after 7 seconds.

And they are bright. And the nocks themselves are far superior.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:29 PM

Default Nockturnals

For the arrow drop with the Nockturnals, try turning them so the hole that you use to turn them off is facing up. That will help a bit with the spine issue keeping the weak part of the nock on the top of the arrow. Between that and accounting for the added weight to the back of the arrow, you should be able to get them to hit where you want.

In terms of being expensive for practice, I use old burnt out ones to shoot all off season and then put new ones in before the season, fling a few to make sure they are flying the same and life is good.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Saran wrap is an easy fix. Cut a 2x2" square and put it over the Nocturnal and then insert it into the arrow shaft. Then burn off the excess saran wrap with a lighter. This will keep the Nocturnal nice and tight. I found I needed to do this with the universal Nockturnals, more than with the shaft specific ones.
That is a really excellent solution. I had tried some very thin paper but never thought of the saran wrap. Although I still feel like I shouldn't have to use saran wrap on a knock i paid $16 for, just to make it fit something it was designed to fit in the first place.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:23 AM

I got tired of swapping them onto my arrows for season - they are already loose and changing them around didn't help. I do like the saran wrap idea though.

I have left them on a few arrows I shoot grouse with. A grouse may or may not be worth losing an arrow for, so these nocks help.

They don't get big by being dumb.