Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

Default Antelope Tag Filled.

The seven year wait is over, filled my Antelope tag today and it feels good. After some pretty intense pre season scouting and obtaining permission from land owner’s it all came together.

Started out the hunt on Monday for a couple hrs seeing a few animals, glassed probably a good dozen bucks but none even close to what I wanted. Tuesday got a late start about 11:00 but we saw quite a number of goats with a good 15 – 20 bucks and 2 that I put a good stock on, the last 800 yrds on my belly to get a closer look. 1 of the bucks looked pretty good and just about bit it but I was able to back off on the trigger finger and let it pass. Thinking that I know where they live and I can always come back and give them a try later in the week if I have to,, I hoped… Today I got a pretty decent start after getting some things in order at work I was able to get away and get started about 9:00. Picked up the oldest boy and away we were. We weren’t into the hunt long maybe an hr or so and we spotted a small herd tucked up against a hill side. I put the spotting scope on them and saw 2 decent bucks but we were a little too far to get a good judge on them. After parking the truck out of site we put on a stock to get a better look with the glasses, we did the belly crawl up to a little hill and peeped over. From this point I could tell we had 2 decent bucks 1 being high and the other a lot wider and shorter but with a little bit more mass. I knew that if I could get a shot away that I would try at one of the bucks I still was not sure which one. From this point we were still out of my comfort range for a shot about 350 -400 yrds. Not yet being used to the new ’06 we decided to back off and try a different stock. They were tucked up tight to a hill,, a little too tight but it was our only option. We backed off and went back to the truck, drove about ½ mile down the road and started out on the walk we had about ¾ of a mile to cover and I told Jesse I don’t care if it takes us all day we will do it right. As we came close to the hill they were tucked behind wouldn’t you know it an old range cow spooked and trotted off. I was pretty sure she would have spooked the herd,, at this time we were within 150yrds of them but still out of site. As we crawled ahead and peeped over the edge sure enough they had us pegged and were on the move,, not fast but on the move. We backed off behind the hill and at a fast trot went down wind about 300 yrds to the break of the hill and crept just to the top,, sure enough there they were making their way down wind. I stood right up and opened up my shooting stick and put the scope on the 2 bucks which were in the back. They were on a steady trot now but going across and not away from us. I knew I wanted the last buck. The herd disappeared around the back side of a little hill and I waited until they cleared the other side. Soon enough the buck came around. I took my first shot but miss judged and put it over his back,, do you know it he stopped to have a look. The second shot didn’t miss it connected hard,, high on the shoulder. That ’06 dropped him hard..

As we went over to him we could tell it was a decent buck. By no means is he the biggest but a nice specimen. As some of you may recall my goal this fall was to harvest a decent specimen. I know we all hope and dream of the B & C animals but we have to let them come as they may. I truly am happy with this buck and feel he will make a fine addition to the trophy room.

We did a full body cape on him and I am thinking of getting a full body mount done,, we will see. If any of you have suggestions to a good outfit in the south please send on the info.

We rough green scored him at 74 7/8 . I was neither generous nor tight with the tape but just wanted to get a feeling for his size. If he was bigger I would get him scored by an official but no need for this fellow he will do just fine..

Last edited by Walleyes; 10-21-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 PM

Well done...

Nice to see your hard work pay off...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM

nice work, seeing these antelope has me pumped about getting my draw next year!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Congrats. They sure are a ton of fun to hunt.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 PM

What a beautiful heart shape to him. Nicely done.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 PM

what a beauty , but what happened to the good ole .280? she had to sit this one out? nice buck bud!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM

nice speed goat , congrats
Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 PM

Great post,and pictures Gross maybe my turn next year?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM

Congrats Walleyes, nice looking antelope. Sounds like you really enjoyed the hunt! Good for you guys.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

Thx fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
what a beauty , but what happened to the good ole .280? she had to sit this one out? nice buck bud!

Actualy jaylow I don't shoot a .280 that's my two older son's they both shoot them. I shot a .270 for years then for the last 8 years I have been shooting a 300 ultra.. But this ain't no country for that fricken cannon,, 26" barrel w/ 50mm scope,, damn thing needs a quad to pack it around.. This is my latest toy,, quite a bit lighter to pack and purty to
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak View Post
Great post,and pictures Gross maybe my turn next year?
You got er buddy.. You will love this hunt,, lots of action all day if you go an hr without seeing something to glass its unusual.. Got a little more experience at field judging them now as well,, we will put you on an 80" er..
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Sounds good let me now how you and bighead make out on mules.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM

Enjoyed the read and pics!!Congrats on a fine loper.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Good for you sir! Even better that your son was with you. You'll remember that stalk for years to come. GREAT BUCK!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Congrats on a nice buck Walleyes.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 AM

nice post and lope ... congrats
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 AM

Congrats on your antelope. Great looking trophy. Really like your field photos. Well set up and good to see you sky line the horns even with you in the photos. Once again, congrats.........Marco
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM

Nice goin' Walleyes, congrats on a great hunt.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM
sheephunter

Great looking buck walleyes....congratulations.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 AM

Nice shooting Walleye, great looking animal
Congrats
Gramps
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM

hey great lopes bud, hes a dandy, brother and cousin knocked a couple down yesterday also. alot of fun,
Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Way to go Walleyes. Congrats on a fine animal man. Sounds like it was a great hunt.