Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM

Default pheasant release sites?

I am planning to hunt a pheasant release site next week and am wondering what the release schedule is. A few years ago they released birds twice a week. on Tuesday & Thursday. Has this changed? I was told by friend that they released birds everyday. Does anyone know the schedule?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 PM

I think they now release every day except Saturday. Also I think they release more birds on Fridays in anticipation of more hunters on Saturdays than on weekdays.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Where are the release sites near Edmonton?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Default sites

The two site mentioned are the closest there are to Edmonton, there is also one down by Brooks. I have heard there used to be 2-3 more to the north, closer to Edmonton, but had got shutdown, possibly costs? Don't know, just what I was told. Would be nice to have a couple more to take the pressure off of some of the ones that do exist, it can get pretty stupid in there some days. Later
Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Default release sites

I've heard they release 6 out of 7 days. As for the actual schedule, site and time of release, I don't think they want us knowing that.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I've heard they release 6 out of 7 days. As for the actual schedule, site and time of release, I don't think they want us knowing that.
Morning's at those release sites can look alot like BassPro's parking lot on Saturday.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM

I understand it's not very sporting to hunt the pheasant release sites. Someone I work with said the birds are so tame that his dog was catching the pheasants before they would flush. Does anybody know if there's any truth in that?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Morning's at those release sites can look alot like BassPro's parking lot on Saturday.
Judging by the plates I guess they don't have BassPro's in BC
Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM

This was my first year out at the release site near Edmonton and we were actually quite impressed. I know that these are not wild birds but they do give us northerners a good option when free time is limited. On the two days we were out we got our limit and they gave my dog and I some good training and practise. In other words, a great time.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

The official release sites north of HiWay 13 were closed a number of years ago because it was the opinion of the biologists that there was a ZERO chance of any success in stocking the population that far north in Alberta. The unofficial release sites north of HiWay 9 were also shut down for the same reason.

For the most part the birds I have had experience with in the release sites are strong, healthy fliers that a dog would have a difficult time catching, however with the concentration of birds and hunters there will inevitably be many wounded birds around that someone's dog could easily catch up. I know one time a buddy let his two dogs out to air at the parking lot in Buffalo Lake while he got his gear out of the truck. One dog returned to him with a bird and the other dog went on point at the edge of the fenceline in the parking lot. He walked over, kicked up the bird, shot it and started to load up the truck to go home - but that is not the normal sequence of events.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM

Scary sight first light at Buffalo Lake. Sixteen Trucks piled on the western side of the property. 2 or 3 per vehicle adds up to mayhem and a slight safety concern. Be careful coming around every corner and use a whistle to let the other people know where you are. Some hunters are not thinking about safely shooting because of the competition for a limited number of birds.
Pheasant drop is 24 a day Monday thru Thursday after 2 PM when you cannot hunt on the site. So better get your birds quick as they go fast. Not sure if Fridays drop is more or not.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Scary sight first light at Buffalo Lake. Sixteen Trucks piled on the western side of the property. 2 or 3 per vehicle adds up to mayhem and a slight safety concern. Be careful coming around every corner and use a whistle to let the other people know where you are. Some hunters are not thinking about safely shooting because of the competition for a limited number of birds.
X2 I run a beeper collar on my dog. It's annoying as heck but we usually get the room we need to be safe.

That being said however there are still losers like the one that walked right in front of the three us. We were in the wide open hunting some tall grass and this dude cuts us off about 30 yards ahead and proceeded to hunt the edge of the grass we were already in. Totally oblivious I whoa'd my dog and called a stop to the boys until he was out of range. jerk....
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Cutting off happens quite a bit and it's tough to not lose it but all bets are off when some unknown dude want's to shoot over my dog. It happened down south opening day. The situation got to me and unfortunately I let it ruin the first part of the hunt. Beepers a good idea but if you can't afford one a bear bell is a good substitute.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndWarrior View Post
X2 I run a beeper collar on my dog. It's annoying as heck but we usually get the room we need to be safe.

That being said however there are still losers like the one that walked right in front of the three us. We were in the wide open hunting some tall grass and this dude cuts us off about 30 yards ahead and proceeded to hunt the edge of the grass we were already in. Totally oblivious I whoa'd my dog and called a stop to the boys until he was out of range. jerk....
Hunting the west side of Buffalo on a Sat. morning I have found that it is nigh on to impossible to not cut someone off and a guarantee that you will be cut off by someone. There is no where to turn without either leading or following someone.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 PM

It won't be long till it will be limited to a certain number of hunters per day,as safety is a constant concern.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Banned

If that were a remote possibility Millicent would have been restricted the year after inception.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Gone Hunting

Why do you guys do that?????? I cannot keep it contained any more. I just have to ask. If its that much of a wreck, why not go hunt some wildies on the THOUSANDS OF ACRES of private land that make up SOUTHERN ALBERTA????? Why jam up like meat heads for a sh*t show on a release site??

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned

Honestly I haven't been there for quite a few years and went last year once because a couple of fellows who used to go wanted to go again. It is only a sh*t show if you consider it to be. Otherwise it is a relaxing day in some great country with good friends and like minded sportsmen looking for some birds.

Not everyone lives in close proximity to those wild released birds in the south of the province, and not everyone has a week of holidays to chase around down there. So an hours drive to Buffalo for a day makes better sense than sitting on your duff in the yard.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM

I see the more northern release sites to be like the stocked trout ponds, deseigned to provide a sporting experience where one currently is not self sustaining. I have no problem with that. The experience described in the other thread about chasing the truck is of course ridiculous and not very sporting, and those releases are designed to augment the natural population and potentially increase the wild stock--very different than the goal at Buffalo Lake. For those of us in Edmonton North, a trip to Brooks or further is quite a drive and then trying to secure hunting privledges on private land on top of that, makes hunting wild birds in the south in far off dream. But one some day I hope to achieve, once my teaching career is over since taking holidays in October in not about to happen.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Asking for the release schedule is a bit like looking to shoot fish in a barrel I think. Enjoy your time out there and try to concentrate less on needing to shoot something. You can always go to one of those paid hunting areas where they release birds for you if you're looking for some kind of guarantee.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Why do you guys do that?????? I cannot keep it contained any more. I just have to ask. If its that much of a wreck, why not go hunt some wildies on the THOUSANDS OF ACRES of private land that make up SOUTHERN ALBERTA????? Why jam up like meat heads for a sh*t show on a release site??
I agree but it's not much better on some of the properties down south. 9 trucks opening morning on a very popular southern Alberta private property. 7 on the one next door. Many out of province plates as well. I wish I could live in the Southern part of the province and hunt that stuff everyday but with the schedule and responsibilities, once and if I'm lucky twice is all the dog and I get to go South. I do like Buffalo lake for the scenery and the constant honking of geese going out to feed in the morning. It's a very pleasant landscape to enjoy once all the limits have filled and the trucks drive away. Unfortunately it's the only game in town to keep the dog happy during his season.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Release sites definately have there place. For the new hunter trying to experience pheasant hunting for the first time or introducing young hunters etc. A release sight is a great opportunity for people to get "into" the sport.
I am new to pheasant hunting and the release sites really helped me and my dog get into the sport.

After you get your feet wet by all means head out and get wild ones. I prefer to do the same now that I have a bit more experience. It is much more rewarding and definately more sporting to get the wild roosters. They are so wiley, and evasive it makes it a real challenge.

As for being at the release sight, we swung in on our way home from hunting wild ones to see if we could fill our limits. Nothing wrong with that, maybe not as sporting but they tasted damn good. Watching that sh!t show go down was ridiculous, but I can assure you that I am not "that" type of hunter.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Thought it would a great time to take my dog out for our first go at
pheasants. Got to Buffalo, I think that's the closest spot to go for me, let Whitey have a stretch then headed back to Lloyd. I would much rather go somewhere that I won't have to worry about anyone else (as much). For a rookie getting in to the sport I found it a bit to crowded to see how my dog would do. I guess I may have made a poor decision tring to get into something I knew nothing about.
Atleast I have a great dog that loves to get out with me! Guess we'll stick to playing with pigeons.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM

I too have frequented the odd release site while learning the game ( kind of like paying for sex I would imagine). They are much more enjoyable i.e. less idiots, on weekdays and later in the season. There also several areas in the Brooks region where birds are released but are not designated release sites (try the Aqueduct, damn there goes another secret). Last year thru a work friend we were welcomed on some private land in the Taber area. It is much more enjoyable knowing you are the only one in the vicinty chasing the wild ones. And remember it is all about the dog, they don't care where they hunt...
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Q1 answer- because its in reasonable distance to my home 1.5hrs
Q2 answer- refer to Q1 answer
Q3 answer- hope that common sense becomes a little more common and my fellow bird hunters would act accordingly, safely & respectfully around one another.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claas View Post
Thought it would a great time to take my dog out for our first go at
pheasants. Got to Buffalo, I think that's the closest spot to go for me, let Whitey have a stretch then headed back to Lloyd. I would much rather go somewhere that I won't have to worry about anyone else (as much). For a rookie getting in to the sport I found it a bit to crowded to see how my dog would do. I guess I may have made a poor decision tring to get into something I knew nothing about.
Atleast I have a great dog that loves to get out with me! Guess we'll stick to playing with pigeons.
Whitey from Lloydminster? I think I need pictures!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
If that were a remote possibility Millicent would have been restricted the year after inception.
I agree have heard of too many dogs shot/shot at there to make me even want to check it out.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

You wouldnt even want to drive by Millicent on the gravel road, trust me on that one. Scary doesnt even come close to describing the mess. By and far, the best part is heading for the Patricia Hotel for a cold one and listening to all the banter about how great their dogs are, how hard they hunted the release site, and how tough to get those old released chick ringnecks are. Pretty funny stuff! A completely different caliber, that much is certain.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Default Wild Bird Advice??

I am a fairly new Gun Dog owner and since last Sept I have many a great day with my Springer hunting Waterfowl,and huns here in southern AB. I have Shot about a dozen or so released phesants and was lucky enough to down one wild one last year. From what I have seen so far, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to go is wild! I am looking for some advice on where to look/knock on doors for wild birds around southern AB. I am not asking for your favorite quarter section, just get me in the ball park. I have spent a fair bit of time on EID land but I don't know where the ringnecks hang out??? Any Advice would help.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
The official release sites north of HiWay 13 were closed a number of years ago because it was the opinion of the biologists that there was a ZERO chance of any success in stocking the population that far north in Alberta. The unofficial release sites north of HiWay 9 were also shut down for the same reason.

For the most part the birds I have had experience with in the release sites are strong, healthy fliers that a dog would have a difficult time catching, however with the concentration of birds and hunters there will inevitably be many wounded birds around that someone's dog could easily catch up. I know one time a buddy let his two dogs out to air at the parking lot in Buffalo Lake while he got his gear out of the truck. One dog returned to him with a bird and the other dog went on point at the edge of the fenceline in the parking lot. He walked over, kicked up the bird, shot it and started to load up the truck to go home - but that is not the normal sequence of events.
I hunted every one of those sites for years the idjits never released any hens.What a blatent lie from a do nothing GOV department