Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Default New Halibut Limits in BC

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let any of you know that plan trips out to BC during the summer, whether taking your own boat or not, there are new halibut regulations for the whole coast of BC. From June 1st to Dec 31st, it is a daily limit of two, and a possession limit of 2...so if you catch 2 hali's in one day you are limited out for your trip. From April 1st to May 31st, it is a daily limit of 1 and a possession limit of 2. Either way, halibut are ridiculously meaty so you will still have plenty of halibut meat when you go home. And it is best for conserving our resources...although I wish they would take some away from the commercial fishery.

As for salmon...most likely be same ol'.

Best Wishes,
David
Old 02-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let any of you know that plan trips out to BC during the summer, whether taking your own boat or not, there are new halibut regulations for the whole coast of BC. From June 1st to Dec 31st, it is a daily limit of two, and a possession limit of 2...so if you catch 2 hali's in one day you are limited out for your trip. From April 1st to May 31st, it is a daily limit of 1 and a possession limit of 2. Either way, halibut are ridiculously meaty so you will still have plenty of halibut meat when you go home. And it is best for conserving our resources...although I wish they would take some away from the commercial fishery.

As for salmon...most likely be same ol'.

Best Wishes,
David

yeeeee haaaaaa as long as my 10 year old gets to battle a big old salmon with you guys this summer she aint gonna matter, trip made, but then we will go after some halis dave.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM

haha...don't worry!! Your son is gonna be nailing some big Chinook this summer!!! We'll make sure of that...looking forward to the trip!!! He can't be much more than 80lbs??? I don't remember how much I weighed back then...but I can say he'll be catching some Springs at least half his size if he's 80lbs, and maybe some hali's his size!! Looking forward to it Pat!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Good to know, thank you. I was thinking of doing some halibut fishing with my friend's dad next time I go to visit.

What would be the best way to transport the fish if I'm driving? My aunt & uncle always had the salmon they caught shipped by plane from the East, but that seems to be a lot of money to spend just to bring a fish home.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:19 PM

make sure that yo freeze them real good then pack them in ice and put in a cooler.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
stubblejumper

Damn,I am off to the Queen Charlottes in July and was hoping to bring home as much halibut as possible.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
Damn,I am off to the Queen Charlottes in July and was hoping to bring home as much halibut as possible.
You still can bring as many as possible 2,, just try and make sure you keep 2 nice fish.. If you keep 2 Halis in the 40# range trust me you will have lots of fish and chips its like any fish it is best eaten as fresh as possible I have found this especially so with Halibut..

They have to make sacrifices out on the west coast just like we do here,, the resource is getting poor in some areas and something has to be done to preserve the stocks.. Its just to bad that the sport fisherman has to make up for the most part of it and in particular the Canadian sportfisher..
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM

If you can get the fish to be salt frozen (I think that is what they call it) then it tastes good even after being in the freezer a few months.

Nothing is better then Halibut on a tin foil sheet over the BBQ, a little bit of Lemon and or Basil sauce, cut into cubes served with your choice of beverage.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Might have to put the roof rack on if I get lucky and haul in a big one
Old 02-21-2008, 09:20 PM

Don't forget Mish...if you cut em up you have to number the bags for each halibut...for example Halibut #1-Part 1...in case you get stopped by fisheries...also have to have the skin left on them. There are huge fines if you don't. To make it easier I'd just leave em in 2 filets per hali, for a total of 4 filets for one person...way easier to do it that way and just cut em up once you get home.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM

I find if you clean and rinse the fish well you can pack it in ice it will keep nice for the duration it takes to transport from the coast. It's important to keep the cooler drained so the fish doesn't sit in bloody water. There are ways to ice it so that it keeps longer, i.e. ice and rock salt too but I've never tried it. I'm not a big fan of freezing fish so if I don't think I can eat it soon, I'll release the fish. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with freezing fish as I do appreciate those times when you crave fish and you can pull something out of the freezer.