Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Roughin It

Default Whitefish...Cross Coulee vs. Ridge vs. Jensen

I would like to catch some whitefish...which of the above would be my best bet? If anyone has had success at any of these reservoirs for whites (or pike, or walleye, or burbot), any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
jrs

Default Good ideas.

I'd reccomend ridge or Jensen. I can't give you much for specifices on the ridge as i spend little time there, but on Jensen set up where the inlets are, pretty much anywhere, tons of whitefish. Set a tip-up in the same area and as it gets dark theres lots of hits. Not sure if its mostly pike or walleye but the action can be good. Good luck on the whites.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 PM
staytuned

Try them all, make a weekend of it. If you can't see any whitefish, then move to another lake. They are all so close that sometimes I go to Ridge in the morning & then drive over to Jensen for the afternoon & dark.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Prdtrgttr

What's the ice like on these areas? About 6 or 7 years ago, when I first moved to the South country, I fished the Ridge a number of times, with great success on Whites. However, in subsequent years, I've had poor success, and last year no success because the ice was so poor on the Ridge. How are things looking out there this year guys?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
staytuned

I haven't been since it got warm out, however a friend of mine says the East end of Ridge has 14" or so. Cross Coulee is open as usual & so is Ridge along the south shore in most places. Jensen is probably scary but, I haven't been there since November when it was about 6".
Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Roughin It

Thanks for the input...I still have a few days off before my next set at work so I'll go fishing Wednesday and Thursday. Looks like I'll be headed to Keho tomorrow for some pike, but forsure Thursday I'll try either Ridge and/or Jensen. I'll post results.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Prdtrgttr

Thanks for the input guys! Let us know how you make out at Keho, good luck there! I've never had good luck there, I know there are big fish there, it's just I've always found the fishing slow, maybe I need to try my luck there again...
Good luck Roughin It!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
fishinguy99

Are you guys talking about milk river "ridge"?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
staytuned

Yes
Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Prdtrgttr

Default Cross Coulee vs. Ridge vs. Jensen vs St. Mary's UPDATE

Anybody been to one of these lately? Just curious what the ice conditions are like, and, of course, what the fishing is like.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Roughin It

Headed to Jensen tomorrow morning bright and early to try for whites. I'll post results and ice conditions. One question I have though....what is a wetaskiwin special lure? Heard about them being used for whites, but I have no idea what they look like. I'll just go with the usual wireworms and maggots.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Prdtrgttr

Never seen the Wetaskiwin Special. Let us know how Jensen's looking, and if I get to the Ridge on Sat. I'll do likewise.
Thanks!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Prdtrgttr

Fished the NW side of the Ridge Reservoir on Sat. Jan 20th from 9-2. We used tip-ups and were trying wire worms for Whites. Not one flag was raised and we saw 4 whites, and caught one. Very slow day. About 15" of ice.
Oh well, it was fun to drill some holes and be ice fishing again.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:50 PM
staytuned

oops, forgot to report last weekend! Jensen at the inlet canal still only about 8" of ice. Fished all afternoon into the dark during the snowstorm & only had one bite on the jiggin' rod. Could see them on the flasher come up off the bottom & inspect my jig but, wouldn't take. The wind tip up had 2 bites, but no walleye on the line when I got there. Ridge on sunday had nice weather, but no action. Ice was about 15" at the old campground. There were 2 of us & we both jigged for walleye but, caught baby pike instead. My last, discontinued, favorite jigging rapala got bit off by a gator. Poo.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Prdtrgttr

Updates? I have next week off. Just curious if I should fish here or perhaps go North to the Little Bow or Travers? What's the word on the street?