Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Blinds for Elk

Hi

Has anyone had any success using a ground blind to hunt for elk? Would it be too late to put one in the woods? For deer they recommend a few weeks before the season but deer tend to be in the same area all the time whereas the elk where I'm hunting tend to move around from area to area. Any thoughts/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:52 AM

If possible I would use a tree stand over a blind, but that's just me.

I have used both and with the blind they can pick you out...and usually they are right on top of you before you see them.

LC
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks Lefty - judging by that amazing beast you slayed this fall in your pic I would say you know a thing or two about elk hunting.

I prefer treestands I have a blind i'll likely put up in my least desirable elk area - will use mostly for when I take my 8 year old with me probably focus on deer instead of elk.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTL View Post
Thanks Lefty - judging by that amazing beast you slayed this fall in your pic I would say you know a thing or two about elk hunting.

I prefer treestands I have a blind i'll likely put up in my least desirable elk area - will use mostly for when I take my 8 year old with me probably focus on deer instead of elk.
That's what I do with my twins when I take them too is focus on deer and we sit in a blind so they can read or whatever to keep them busy cause usually within an hour they are over it haha
Old 09-25-2017, 04:52 PM

Tree stands suck for me. Angle I dont like. Blind real or bush made and play wind works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 PM

I've been using these that I've been making for a few years when I need a blind. Between the burlap and the wood stakes (Ive used aluminum too) they weigh a few pounds and can be set up in minutes. Add a stool or a turkey chair and you're in cheap, lightweight business that can be moved at any time very easily. (I hate tree stands)

Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM

BUT that being said both will work and both have their pros and cons. I hunt elk a variety of ways and if I am on the ground I prefer the mobility of not being in a blind. A brushed in blind would be a good idea if given the choice of that or store bought IMHO.

LC
Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 PM

I've heard there's nothing like a setting up in a brush pile - especially a really dirt filled one. Dig into it a bit and it covers your scent really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 PM

IMO its kinda like tying your hands behind your back trying to hunt elk from a blind. Takes all the fun outta it too. Learn to call and the different strategies behind it and things will heat up real quick. There are times when a blind can work well but thats aug 25- sept 5 if your setup over a waterhole or wallow that is littered with sign. Right now is still the rut and a great time to be chasing elk. Yes literally chasing them, it can work really well on the big old bulls to **** them off enough to get them to turn around for a fight. Just dont get caught in the open.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM

thanks for the great tips all. Those are cool blinds madball - great idea.