Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Default 4 VS 3 VS 2 VS 1 piece rods

Guys/Gals,

There are varying opinions of how many sections a rod should have. Each of them has advantages.

One piece rods are the best of the lot. They don't have any flat spots that change the rod action but they are tough to carry around

Two piece rods are a slight compromise. There is some lose of action but the rods it a whole lot easier to pack around.

Three piece rods are again a compromise with the only real advantage are length of rod case.

Four>5>6 piece rods are by in large specialty rods where rod action is compromised for other considerations - flying the rod or backpacking. Multiple piece rods use ferrule systems that set up "dead spots" along the rod shaft. The designer, in as much as possible, changes the taper to alleviate the problem. However, no matter his skill, the dead spots remain.

By the way - generally the cheapest and most expensive rods are 2 piece.

The choice is yours.

catch ya'

Don
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM

I take it you fish mostly 2 piece and 1 piece bamboo? What lengths and what are your go to rods? Lakes? Small streams? etc
Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 PM

I find it amusing the manufactures push one piece as the got to have rod for sensitivity etc. yet when it comes to fly rods they claim nothing is lost going to a four piece. I do believe the four piece are way cheaper to produce as it's far easier to make a nice straight two and a half foot section than a five foot section. Having said that, fly rods are a casting tool first and sensitivity doesn't really factor into it, but I still would prefer a two piece over a four piece.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Banned

Cool

I dont have a ton of time with one piece or many piece rods, hiking with a one piece rod is a pain, setting up the multiple section rods can be time consuming . imo two piece are the best compromise, sensitivity and mobility. ime set is not a pain and 4'sections dont get too annoying when traveling thru dense brush. just my thoughts.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM

BBT,

Of the <>40 fly rods hanging around here, I have 2 that are multipiece. A 8'6" 6 wt. 5 pc that back packed when my knees still allowed that and a 4 pc. 2 tip 7'6" 4 wt. bamboo rod that was built from off-cuts just to see if I could do it. The bamboo rod went to Great Slave Lake last year for the grayling. It was used to landed a 25" fish.
I have no 1 piece rods. Built one once - broke it and that ended that silliness.
The rest are mostly 2 pc. rods.
The bamboo rods are fished when the lure weight allows it. A 6 wt. rod is the heaviest I build. When fishing bass poppers/sliders/Clousers for either bass or pike I use graphite rods in 8 wt. or greater. For trout sized flies, bamboo works just fine. The rods I regularly use vary from a 6'0" 2 wt to 8'0" 6 wts.

And pikergolf,

It take a lot more effort to make 3 or 4 piece rods. Effort translates to labour costs and $'s. Plus in the case of bamboo- extra ferrules @ $50 a set.

catch ya'

Don
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
BBT,

Of the <>40 fly rods hanging around here, I have 2 that are multipiece. A 8'6" 6 wt. 5 pc that back packed when my knees still allowed that and a 4 pc. 2 tip 7'6" 4 wt. bamboo rod that was built from off-cuts just to see if I could do it. The bamboo rod went to Great Slave Lake last year for the grayling. It was used to landed a 25" fish.
I have no 1 piece rods. Built one once - broke it and that ended that silliness.
The rest are mostly 2 pc. rods.
The bamboo rods are fished when the lure weight allows it. A 6 wt. rod is the heaviest I build. When fishing bass poppers/sliders/Clousers for either bass or pike I use graphite rods in 8 wt. or greater. For trout sized flies, bamboo works just fine. The rods I regularly use vary from a 6'0" 2 wt to 8'0" 6 wts.

And pikergolf,

It take a lot more effort to make 3 or 4 piece rods. Effort translates to labour costs and $'s. Plus in the case of bamboo- extra ferrules @ $50 a set.

catch ya'

Don
I don't buy that, how does it take more effort? I'm not talking bamboo, only graphite. Has to be a reason manufacturers are pushing four piece fly rods.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM

I personally find that 4 piece are excellent fly rods. I even fish a 7 piece orvis when hiking into more remote lakes. I do own 2 piece rods, and they are just annoying to carry around

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks Don
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Default Hope im not stealing the thread,its sorta on topic.

While we are on the topic of 4 pce rods. Is there anywhere a guy can get a nice rod sock for one with out having to order off the net? My new rod only came with a tube with reel holder included. To clumsy to pack with. Maybe someone custom makes them around Alberta. Stores dont seem to have much.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Have a few dozen rods, Bamboo and none. I have a 6ft one piece Lee Wulff bamboo that will lay down a dry fly light as a feather. An 8 foot red wing and 7 foot south bend (3 piece) that will handle bass bugs and poppers on some of my small mouth jaunts with no problem. I unfortunately havn't had a chance to cast with one of Dons fine creations. My 4 piece sticks are plastic rods (Loop Opti Stream etc) that I can put into an overnight bag. They all are different and all cast great. I think I prefer a two piece if given the choice but they are all sticks for different purposes.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM

I have one you can have. It's a sage 4 piece. It's yours with a $10 food donation to your local food bank!! Let me know...

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
While we are on the topic of 4 pce rods. Is there anywhere a guy can get a nice rod sock for one with out having to order off the net? My new rod only came with a tube with reel holder included. To clumsy to pack with. Maybe someone custom makes them around Alberta. Stores dont seem to have much.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM

I myself am partial to 2 piece rods. I don't backpack into remote lakes anymore and if I did, I would figure out a way to pack my 2 piece in. All of my rods have cases, so that isn't the issue there. What I like about 2 piece rods is if I am fishing more than one stream in a day, when I get back to the truck, I just let out some slack line and take the rod apart with my choice of fly still attached instead of taking everything apart for the short drive to the next stream. When I get there, just put the rod back together and I am back fishing a lot sooner than having to rig everything back up again. Works for me anyhow.

Last edited by Flyfisher87; 11-14-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I have one you can have. It's a sage 4 piece. It's yours with a $10 food donation to your local food bank!! Let me know...

Peter
Thanks a bunch Peter. I will definitely be used a lot.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I myself am partial to 2 piece rods. I don't backpack into remote lakes anymore and if I did, I would figure out a way to pack my 2 piece in. All of my rods have cases, so that isn't the issue there. What I like about 2 piece rods is if I am fishing more than one stream in a day, when I get back to the truck, I just let out some slack line and take the rod apart with my choice of fly still attached instead of taking everything apart for the short drive to the next stream. When I get there, just put the rod back together and I am back fishing a lot sooner than having to rig everything back up again. Works for me anyhow
X2

I don't find 2 piece rods a pain to carry when backpacking, I have sturdy rod cases for them and I use the case as a walking stick as I hike. If I take more than 1 rod (which is hardly ever) I simply lash the second one to the pack. The other thing I dislike about multiple section rods is that you have to check more than one connection as your fishing throughout the day to make sure they are not coming loose. I only have one four-piece rod, but this happens regularly and chaps my ass!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

Peter
Seriously Peter? I'll take up that offer
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Sorry Jay,

Too slow!!

P
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Seriously Peter? I'll take up that offer
I've got a four-piece rod sock for you sir. Your's for an equivalent price. No, just kidding, you can have it for free.

HK
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Come on HeavyK, put some incentive for dontaions towards the foodbank (or another charity)!! I think there is a pay it forward thread some on here, ain't there!!

P
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Food bank donation?! Why, that's institutionalized charity! That there sorta thinking is gunna get me lambasted on this kinda forum!

hk
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
I myself am partial to 2 piece rods. I don't backpack into remote lakes anymore and if I did, I would figure out a way to pack my 2 piece in. All of my rods have cases, so that isn't the issue there. What I like about 2 piece rods is if I am fishing more than one stream in a day, when I get back to the truck, I just let out some slack line and take the rod apart with my choice of fly still attached instead of taking everything apart for the short drive to the next stream. When I get there, just put the rod back together and I am back fishing a lot sooner than having to rig everything back up again. Works for me anyhow.
I often wondered about that how you would quickly pack a 4 peice. I do the same with my 2 peice and even do that for the next day or whatever. I was thinking about getting a 4 peice but unless I'm travelling alot why would I then from the reviews so far.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM

That's why I put in the caveat "or another charity"!!

LOL

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy K View Post
Food bank donation?! Why, that's institutionalized charity! That there sorta thinking is gunna get me lambasted on this kinda forum!

hk
Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
I often wondered about that how you would quickly pack a 4 peice. I do the same with my 2 peice and even do that for the next day or whatever. I was thinking about getting a 4 peice but unless I'm travelling alot why would I then from the reviews so far.
You can also just take the 4 piece and split it in half haha dont need to completely disasemble it. Cant fit it back in the case this way but if its only a short drive its fine. I personally love my 4 piece, each has its advantages/disadvantages but i like to ride my bicycle down to and along the river so a big case isnt for me. You should be able to cast a fly with any rod and as long as your out there thats all that counts! Whatever works best for you and keeps ya happy!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedativ3 View Post
You can also just take the 4 piece and split it in half haha dont need to completely disasemble it. Cant fit it back in the case this way but if its only a short drive its fine. I personally love my 4 piece, each has its advantages/disadvantages but i like to ride my bicycle down to and along the river so a big case isnt for me. You should be able to cast a fly with any rod and as long as your out there thats all that counts! Whatever works best for you and keeps ya happy!
I see your point too. My 2 peice comes in a case and I have been pulled over twice thinking from the police or fish and wildlife that I'm carrying a gun - another story. I like the fact that I slide it out and assemble together and I'm ready to go other than tying on my fly. I am usually so impatient by time I get to my fishing spot that I dont want to spend time re threading my rod.