Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Home Security Cameras

Hey everyone!! I'm in need of some guidance. As more and more properties around me are turning into rentals, I'm seeing a steady influx of undesireables in my neighborhood. over the past couple of years, a lot of weird, sketchy stuff has been happening to the point where I'm considering installing a security camera system. Any advice, recommendations, or tips would be greatly appreciated!! I don't really want to pay monitoring fees, I would prefer a stand-alone, motion activated type of system.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Just bought this kit from Costco.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-HD-1080p...100386268.html

I wanted the wireless and stand alone no cloud fees or other fees.

Pretty easy to set up. Picture is pretty good. Controls and set up can be a bit of a pain but got it set up.

Walked past the camera and had an alert on my phone with motion detected within a second of walking past.

I was told they don't work very well in the cold and start cutting out at -15C and I figured so do most of the criminals.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM

You will need to do some research on what will work for you. You can go with wired cams or wireless. Wireless is a little confusing because even thou they do send the picture back to the DVR by wireless you still need to run a power cord to each of them to have them work. I bought a wired NVR from Amazon.Ca and then added the cameras to it. You also will need to buy the power cord, and power/transmission cable of the right length, plus most NVR don't come with a hard drive which you also need to store the pictures on. (most companies make a specialized drive just for cam systems) Only advice I will offer is to make sure your system is at a minimum 1080p or higher resolution.
720p and 960p get very grainy.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 08-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Check out the Arlo pro 2 system. I bout a 4 camera system for $1000 it took minutes to set up and works awesome! No wires to the cameras at all.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
Check out the Arlo pro 2 system. I bout a 4 camera system for $1000 it took minutes to set up and works awesome! No wires to the cameras at all.
I just checked it out online...Looks very enticing!! How's the night vision?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Arlo

I have Arlo as well in 1080 they are fantastic even in night vision I get mobile alerts it has an alarm I can sound it has two way speaker completely wireless, I bought mine at Best Buy you only get one outdoor mount and 3 magnetic ones so I bought 3 more outdoor ones you can get better angles with them over the magnetic ones highly recommend it they are all wifi as well