Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Default Home owner may go bankrupt

Im not sure how most of it was missed or what but I would be really ticked off in her situation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4786153
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM

She needs to call Mike Holmes.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 PM

Home inspection

Yeah.

Met 2 of them in my life.

One inspected the house across the street. He got there at 1:15.

He was done and chatting with me on the street at 1:56. Told me it was his 3rd house today. Short, fat, with no ladder.

Made me go “hmmmmm”
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Home inspections aren't worth the paper they're written on and they sidestep liability. Roof inspection with binoculars ? Son's furnace died a week after the house passed inspections by Pillar to Post in Red Deer. Multitude of issues including poor construction.

Grizz
Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Home inspectors are a joke.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
Home inspectors are a joke.
My experience has been the opposite of yours. I've had all my homes inspected prior to purchase and they found defects that I never would have. He went around with a lamp and checked every plug in, filled the tubs/sinks with water and let them sit for an hour, climbed up in the attic and found a broken truss, some damaged shingles, etc.

It sucks for her, but I don't think its the home inspectors fault in this situation. He does an inspection in September, 2016 and the first issued arose in June, 2018.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 PM

I've had a couple of really good and thorough ones and a couple of mediocre ones. I always accompany the inspector.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 PM

I'd sooner get a home inspection than a realtor and ALWAYS a lawyer.

Maybe she did everything right and everyone did their jobs, but I'd really be looking at the previous owner.

When I make an offer on a house the offer has two clauses:
The house will have a "satisfactory home inspection" (if you just say an inspection you are still on the hook to buy it).
And approval of my lawyer, she should ask for the property disclose statement, if there's funky wording she catches it.

My guess it the vender has hidden the damage and did it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Honestly talk about a completely nightmare situation. She mentions in her gofundme that she did do everything by the book and by majority of people's standards, the right way. Had a realtor, RE lawyer, had the home inspection done, etc. Still got screwed bad.

That said, I do wonder if the PO would have known. The few contractors said it looks like it's been going on for years and getting water in like that is pretty substantial that you would think they would have noticed something.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 PM

I sure feel bad for this Lady, but I don't think that a "GoFundMe" page for unexpected home repairs is the intent behind the program. If I buy a 2nd hand car and the engines blows the next week, should I start a "GoFundMe" page????

Sometimes it is just life and sometimes life sucks!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Banned

The last home I bought was a private sale. I asked the couple selling it if I could have an entire day to inspect the home. I spent the better portion of a day in the home myself and had an inspector also do his thing. If I am to buy another home before I kick off I will be asking the owner to allow me to have a day to inspect it and also request that I can be in the home overnight. That way I'll have an idea of any external noise issues that may not be noticeable during the day.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The seller paints and covers things up cosmetically, denies anything ever indicated an issue and moves on....buyer beware....sucks but it happens.

Wanted to punch out a wall under the stairs in a house we bought many years ago only to find everything from wire clippings to meal wrappers all stuffed in that area as if they cleaned up the basement and then slapped up the dry wall....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledin View Post
I'd sooner get a home inspection than a realtor and ALWAYS a lawyer.

Maybe she did everything right and everyone did their jobs, but I'd really be looking at the previous owner.

When I make an offer on a house the offer has two clauses:
The house will have a "satisfactory home inspection" (if you just say an inspection you are still on the hook to buy it).
And approval of my lawyer, she should ask for the property disclose statement, if there's funky wording she catches it.

My guess it the vender has hidden the damage and did it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, a lot of times the realtor is in bed with the home inspector, kind of takes the impartiality out.

Grizz
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of times the realtor is in bed with the home inspector, kind of takes the impartiality out.

Grizz
Had this happen once. I wanted a home inspection, realtor said he knew a really good inspector..... I will always hire my own inspector from now on.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 PM

Have yet to see a home inspector worth the money. Your better to hire a reputable general contractor. If they follow the “rules” as My last ones sheet said they wont pop open a roof tile and look in, crawl spaces etc.. say your house has 20 windows they check like three.. dont do appliances, sewers and chimneys are extra if they even have the tools or a “certified” to do it. Spent 50, 000 in my current place to bring it back up to safe after he was done.