Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Never have, never will unless I feel the need to commit a crime and get away with it.
Talk like this might hurt a member's precious feelings, and cause you and your thoughtful contributions to be censored, and unavailable to those of us who appreciate them.

May also be the cause of reduced participation here.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Talk like this might hurt a member's precious feelings, and cause you and your thoughtful contributions to be censored, and unavailable to those of us who appreciate them.

May also be the cause of reduced participation here.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Great advice, because will all know that RCMP Members are not really people, they are just RCMP Members. So fire at will, it's not like you are insulting an individual.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Great advice, because will all know that RCMP Members are not really people, they are just RCMP Members. So fire at will, it's not like you are insulting an individual.
Capitalization matters.
I made no reference to 'RCMP Members',
but, 'if the shoe fits'.........

I am more concerned with the loss of good 'members', and their contributions here.
edit: (including you, and your)

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 08-17-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Capitalization matters.
I made no reference to 'RCMP Members',
but, 'if the shoe fits'.........

I am more concerned with the loss of good 'members' and their contributions here.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Confusing?????

You directly quoted and then responding to Ghost who was most definitely talking about RCMP Members. But ok, carry on.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:48 AM

The firearm has been recovered

After weeks of searching, a stolen police-issued gun has been turned in to Saskatoon Police.
The gun and ammunition was stolen Aug. 9 from an unmarked RCMP vehicle sitting in a downtown hotel parkade.
On Tuesday, an anonymous person turned the gun in to city police at their headquarters. Police said charges will not be laid against the person who turned in the weapon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-gun-1.4794367
Old 08-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The firearm has been recovered

After weeks of searching, a stolen police-issued gun has been turned in to Saskatoon Police.
The gun and ammunition was stolen Aug. 9 from an unmarked RCMP vehicle sitting in a downtown hotel parkade.
On Tuesday, an anonymous person turned the gun in to city police at their headquarters. Police said charges will not be laid against the person who turned in the weapon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-gun-1.4794367
I can only imagine how much it cost the taxpayers to have those resources involved in the search?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 AM

It gets stolen, you complain. Then it gets recovered, you complain. I think you just like complaining.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
It gets stolen, you complain. Then it gets recovered, you complain. I think you just like complaining.
You think there's a small chance that Elk enjoys being miserable?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
You think there's a small chance that Elk enjoys being miserable?
I think he may be suffering from Pheasant Fever! Or maybe Sharp-tail Fever, or the dreaded Hungarian Flu!

BW
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Or just maybe some people want equal treatment under the laws of Canada?

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 08-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Or just maybe some people want equal treatment under the laws of Canada?
Exactly! I doubt that the police commit the same resources every time firearms are stolen from a civilian.

Quote:
Saskatoon police's guns and gangs unit, the general investigations section, the tactical support and patrol units were all involved in the search.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly! I doubt that the police commit the same resources every time firearms are stolen from a civilian.
Nice cherry picking of the article... You forgot to include the sentence prior...

After the arrest, police searched two homes on Avenue F S. and Avenue T S. but did not find the gun.

Guns and Gangs, GIS, and Tactical were not out actively "searching" for the gun like it was a lost child. An investigator was assigned the file and once the they made an arrested they used additional resources to search residences that the suspect was attached to. This is no different than any other searched warrant of a residence where stolen firearms are expected to be found.

Did you want them to put in less effort than a "normal" investigation?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Nice cherry picking of the article... You forgot to include the sentence prior...

After the arrest, police searched two homes on Avenue F S. and Avenue T S. but did not find the gun.

Guns and Gangs, GIS, and Tactical were not out actively "searching" for the gun like it was a lost child. An investigator was assigned the file and once the they made an arrested they used additional resources to search residences that the suspect was attached to. This is no different than any other searched warrant of a residence where stolen firearms are expected to be found.

What I would like to see, is exactly the same storage requirements either in an unoccupied home or vehicle, whether the firearm is owned by a civilian, or by the police, the exact same treatment towards the person, whether police or civilian, and the same effort made to recover the firearm. After all, this is supposed to be all about protecting the public, and the threat to the public doesn't change with the owner.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
What I would like to see, is exactly the same storage requirements either in an unoccupied home or vehicle, whether the firearm is owned by a civilian, or by the police, the exact same treatment towards the person, whether police or civilian, and the same effort made to recover the firearm. After all, this is supposed to be all about protecting the public, and the threat to the public doesn't change with the owner.
Police are exempt from the firearms regulations for the purpose of their duties. That why they can possess without a PAL, transport without an ATT, open or conceal carry at their discretion, leave loaded firearms in vehicle unattended in plain site, possessed prohibited firearms and even full auto's. Unmarked police vehicle at a hotel overnite? fairly certain that would be work related. Maybe there was no safe in the hotel room and nothing secure enough to handcuff a pistol case to. Maybe the officer used his discretion, which he is allowed to, and opted that the locked vehicle was more secured then an unoccupied hotel room if he goes out to grab dinner.

I guess you will say he shouldn't go out for dinner, why the heck would he need to eat.

Do you believe if a person reports a stolen firearm and then police identify a suspect, they will not follow-up with an arrest and search of the suspect's residence for gun? What is so different in this case? The only difference is because of the media and people like you that love running the police through the mud, the media and people like you are causing the difference, not the police.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Incorrect. I had a rifle stolen, a neighbor's truck was stolen same night. Her truck was recovered next day, at a residence, I told the cops to walk in & pick up my gun, binos, spotter, etc. They didn't, but a different police force got my gun back in a traffic stop 9 months later. Minus binos, spotter, gun case, etc.

Yes, there are two completely different applications of the same law. Period.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-22-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Incorrect. I had a rifle stolen, a neighbor's truck was stolen same night. Her truck was recovered next day, at a residence, I told the cops to walk in & pick up my gun, binos, spotter, etc. They didn't, but a different police force got my gun back in a traffic stop 9 months later. Minus binos, spotter, gun case, etc.

Yes, there are two completely different applications of the same law. Period.
So you want Police to be able to just "walk in" to any residence they feel like? They would need to write a warrant and in that warrant they would need to have evidence that the items were inside residence. Just because a stolen vehicle from the same area is found in a particular yard is circumstantial, there is no evidence to support your items were in the house. Is there a likelihood that they are? probably, but warrant aren't issued on likelihood or probably's.

It is funny when on 1 hand people want police to beat criminal, kick in doors without warrants, and leap buildings in a single bound when it serves their own personal interest. But then on the other hand they are the first people to condemn police when they step over the line. A whole lot of people wanting to have their cake and eat it too.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Worst part is it's not just the gun laws. Seems to many of us our laws are broken daily as we bow down to specific groups.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Police are exempt from the firearms regulations for the purpose of their duties. That why they can possess without a PAL, transport without an ATT, open or conceal carry at their discretion, leave loaded firearms in vehicle unattended in plain site, possessed prohibited firearms and even full auto's. Unmarked police vehicle at a hotel overnite? fairly certain that would be work related. Maybe there was no safe in the hotel room and nothing secure enough to handcuff a pistol case to. Maybe the officer used his discretion, which he is allowed to, and opted that the locked vehicle was more secured then an unoccupied hotel room if he goes out to grab dinner.

I guess you will say he shouldn't go out for dinner, why the heck would he need to eat.

Do you believe if a person reports a stolen firearm and then police identify a suspect, they will not follow-up with an arrest and search of the suspect's residence for gun? What is so different in this case? The only difference is because of the media and people like you that love running the police through the mud, the media and people like you are causing the difference, not the police.
If the vehicle is left unattended with a firearm in it, as the officer goes to dinner or whatever, the officer obviously doesn't need the firearm handy, so why not secure it as a civilian would be required to secure it? Why should it be easier to steal a restricted/prohibited firearm from a police officer, than from a civilian?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
If the vehicle is left unattended with a firearm in it, as the officer goes to dinner or whatever, the officer obviously doesn't need the firearm handy, so why not secure it as a civilian would be required to secure it? Why should it be easier to steal a restricted/prohibited firearm from a police officer, than from a civilian?
The Shotgun and Carbine are loaded and locked in a rack between the 2 front seats. You want them to unload them, cable lock them, lock them in a case, and then put them in the trunk if they go in for a coffee break?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
any chance the RCMP officer will be charged with unsafe firearm
handling /storage
Are you PAL or RPAL holder?
Would be surprised if you are- then I look at your rating...
So you would prefer to change rules of transportation of firearms? If they can open your vehicle, they will get your gun even with 3 locks on it.
Just don’t give anties another reason to change it.Or you will have to carry safe soon in your car.
you know criminals can enter your home and you being law abiding sitizen wouldn’t be allowed to stop them making any harm to crooks from getting poses of firearms other then calling police aftermath if they won’t shoot you
Old 08-22-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Are you PAL or RPAL holder?
Would be surprised if you are- then I look at your rating...
So you would prefer to change rules of transportation of firearms?
Just don’t give anties another reason to change it.
you know criminals can enter your home and you being law abiding sitizen wouldn’t be allowed to stop them making any harm to crooks from getting poses of firearms other then calling police aftermath if they won’t shoot you
I've had 2 rye and 7 so far this evening, how about you?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
x2
Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I've had 2 rye and 7 so far this evening, how about you?
Lucky you. I went work out in gym , don’t like rye but like transportation rules and don’t see reason to change them
Ok. I didn’t read your post on the second page.
Didn’t know police has different rules of firearm transportation.
Guess I should go and have some drink and leave leave talks for experts

Last edited by sailor; 08-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
x2
So, RCMP pulls up to Timmie's, takes the carbine out of the rack, unloads in the parking lot, opens the trunk, opens a pelican case, cable locks the carbine, and then locks the case and closes the trunk. Oh he also needs to take the shotgun out and unload and throw that in the trunk, but no case needed as it is non restricted. That makes a whole heap of sense. I guess when they stop at the office for 15 minutes and park on the street they will need to do the same. When that bank robbery or active shooter call comes in their is always time to retrieve the firearm from the case in the trunk, right? Maybe they should just walk around with the Carbine and shotgun slung at all times. I mean all Canadian love Mexico. It would be a lot easier and they wouldn't get stolen for sure. Just make sure they get a corner table so they can lean their firearms against the wall while they are eating. This thread is getting stupid.

I'm out.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 PM

Last edited by lannie; 08-22-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
So, RCMP pulls up to Timmie's, takes the carbine out of the rack, unloads in the parking lot, opens the trunk, opens a pelican case, cable locks the carbine, and then locks the case and closes the trunk. Oh he also needs to take the shotgun out and unload and throw that in the trunk, but no case needed as it is non restricted. That makes a whole heap of sense. I guess when they stop at the office for 15 minutes and park on the street they will need to do the same. When that bank robbery or active shooter call comes in their is always time to retrieve the firearm from the case in the trunk, right? Maybe they should just walk around with the Carbine and shotgun slung at all times. I mean all Canadian love Mexico. It would be a lot easier and they wouldn't get stolen for sure. Just make sure they get a corner table so they can lean their firearms against the wall while they are eating. This thread is getting stupid.

I'm out.
So how long do you have to leave a vehicle unattended for a firearm to be stolen? If it's safe for police vehicles to be unattended for 15 minutes for coffee, or 30 minutes for lunch, with loaded firearms in plain view, then why isn't it safe for civilians to leave a vehicle unattended with firearms in plain sight for the same time period? If I am out hunting with my firearm laying on the seat, and I stop and run into a service station for five minutes to use the washroom, I have put it out of sight, because it might be stolen if someone sees it.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Let's try this again. Your bolded sentence is exactly what I expected from the cops. Get the house searched, obviously a stolen pickup pulled up to his front door(rural), would indicate a thief was there. They got a warrant in your example!!

More info for your CSI analysis. When the original theft took place, cops were uninterested in lifting prints off my truck. Slick job on my truck & the neighbors might indicate lots of familiarity with such things, prints on file maybe??

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-24-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Let's try this again. Your bolded sentence is exactly what I expected from the cops. Get the house searched, obviously a stolen pickup pulled up to his front door(rural), would indicate a thief was there. They got a warrant in your example!!

More info for your CSI analysis. When the original theft took place, cops were uninterested in lifting prints off my truck. Slick job on my truck & the neighbors might indicate lots of familiarity with such things, prints on file maybe??
You're ignorant of how the law works and what a justice will sign a warrant for. Not an accusation but you don't know to what level the investigation went to in either.

Having a stolen pickup in the driveway will not be enough to get a search warrant for a residence period. Get over it.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine