Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 PM

700 ish metres visibly In Red Deer area, it was awful up at Marthrope /White Court today.

+30c tomorrow with more smoke on the way, we heard some folk down in Calgary area were getting it bad down there.

I'm doing the partical filter mask if we're heading out tomorrow.
I find the circulating air flow for the truck works good, Yuppers, not the best with folks that have breathing issues, I'm pretty luck in that category.

If you don't have to be out side, don't. Or try to limit the exposer time if at all possible.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 PM

Sitting n the deck now and can see the stars, so hoping for no wind tomorrow.
She was dark till 11 am.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 AM

Next four years are supposed to be even hotter and drier due to natural earth cycles. Uh, I've had enough already.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

Had a fella say to me the other day the smoke was irritating his throat etc limiting outside work....he smokes two packs a day....yup

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-16-2018, 12:41 PM

I hope it doesn't get as bad as it did in Yellowknife around 3 years ago, the sky was black and the rain looked like used motor oil one day. Was so bad I used an industrial respirator in my office.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Had a fella say to me the other day the smoke was irritating his throat etc limiting outside work....he smokes two packs a day....yup
Yeah, it baffles me to see guys standing outside job site with a dart going and complaining about the smokey air....I quit smoking cigarettes in 1990, but I am remembering the 'smoker's hack' this last week, I sure don't miss it!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Im not a smoker but today I woke up with a sore throat and chest irritation. Its going to be along week at this rate.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Default smoke

Guys just a suggestion, buy some Filtrete "healthy living" electrostatic filters for your furnace and put furnace on circulation. It will remove smoke, pollen, smog etc even gas if you eat to many beans. The 3M purple ones are best, change fairly often in heavy smoke conditions and obviously leave windows closed!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys just a suggestion, buy some Filtrete "healthy living" electrostatic filters for your furnace and put furnace on circulation. It will remove smoke, pollen, smog etc even gas if you eat to many beans. The 3M purple ones are best, change fairly often in heavy smoke conditions and obviously leave windows closed!
Great way to burn out your furnace blower, those filters allow very little air flow and burn out motors. Have been told this by multiple furnace technicians.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Zweks, it is not a filter that is replaced on regular basis, they are the ones forgotten for a few years and plugged. I always switch to the cheap $5 filters in winter as gives much better air circulation/heating, only want to remove the limited dust when snow on ground. You missed the point of change often!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
Great way to burn out your furnace blower, those filters allow very little air flow and burn out motors. Have been told this by multiple furnace technicians.
Interesting, I was told the opposite when my AC was installed last summer. Use the purple 3pack 'filtrete' in the winter and use a cheap basic filter for the summer while using AC. Was told using the better quality ones are hard on the AC motor.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:22 PM

Or just get a really good stand alone, tower type HEPA/UV air purifier. Works great, and I don't have to worry about my furnace motor, or ducts getting fouled with smoke/ash.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 AM

Default smoke removal

Guys, your furnace moves probably 10-50 times the air volume of a little HEPA table filter system. Filtrete have a "activated carbon" filter for furnaces which I ordered from Amazon as hard to find local. If you do not love breathing smoke then highly recommend this filter in every furnace in BC/Alberta and Sask.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:04 AM

And the air index is at 13 again. Hazy sepia morning. Deciding whether or not to go to work.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, at least it's a pretty sunset....kind of hard to see with a splitting headache and coughing up a lung, but pretty...
same here with the head ache and cough, the air quality is probably worst then china ..
Old 08-17-2018, 05:01 PM

I just saw a photo of Main Street in Valleyview, taken at noon today. All of the street lights are on and it looks like the middle of the night. After seeing that, I won't be complaining about the air quality in Central Alberta for a while.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-17-2018, 05:05 PM

My sister just sent pictures from Slave Lake taken in the last 45 minutes, unreal how dark it is there!! It has been horrible here all day too, but not that dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180817_162058_Film1.jpg (8.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20180817_164522_Film1.jpg (16.4 KB, 26 views)