Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Not sure where your stats come from. Pro Plan is decently rated although a quick search through a few reviews mentions all bags should be checked first as there have been reports of insect larvae and mealworms in some bags. No recalls in the last two years since March 2015 which was a voluntary recall, so not never. It does rate highly in many reviews but is not number one for any I can see. Seems as good as many other high quality foods, but there are plenty of good alternatives.
I don't believe anyone suggested there are no other alternatives.

Purina is pro hunting and supports training and handling of the sporting breeds. They have a very good product and are a very good choice, not the only choice.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 PM

If it was an issue they would have recalled it. Most likely a localized case and probably happened at a wholesaler or retail branch.

If you can find a recall on the kibble Id want to see it as it has never been recalled to my knowledge. Purina does a crazy amount of quality checks from start to finish with the Pro Plan kibble line.

When talking about the individual dog there probably is a better kibble. Like people some dogs do better on a different diet. However as a whole there isnt another pet food out there that can show results of Pro Plan. There is a reason more of the top dogs in the world are fed the product, and its not marketing.

I am not sure about the prize at West Minster but at The National Championship (American Field) one of the prizes is $25,000. Thats alot of money, if it paid to feed another brand of food the pros would feed it. I would bet West Minster is even more money for winning.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I don't believe anyone suggested there are no other alternatives.

Purina is pro hunting and supports training and handling of the sporting breeds. They have a very good product and are a very good choice, not the only choice.
Maybe not suggested but implied. Obviously Versatile is a strong proponent which is fine as it's good food. Statements like "no other dog food company has the same results" is a pretty strong implied suggestion. I prefer to feed raw myself as just as in humans, the closer to the natural state, the better. I do realize that the cost of raw and natural state food can be considerably more as well as preparing, storage, handling, transporting etc. I certainly appreciate Purina's support for hunting etc. It's an effective marketing tool as well. Anyway, lots of good suggestions for the OP.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 PM

The proof is in the pudding.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
look into that kirkland food further. Lots of people loosing their animals due to salmonella in the kibble and costco refusing to aknowledge it. A friend of mine lost his dog and I nearly lost mine. We were feeding their back to nature line.
Looks like the Back to Nature line is the Costco "grain-free" equivalent. We have used the Chicken and Rice or Lamb and Rice foods (started on the chicken, but our dog was quite gassy so we switched to lamb and haven't looked back)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Banned

If you're going to a raw fed diet, look into the whole prey model (google it). Whole prey means meat, tendons, bone, organs, etc. Just muscle meat or lean chicken etc. can lead to deficiencies in a complete diet.

These folks also have a grain free, whole prey kibble:
https://acana.com/usa/our-foods/dog-...ls/grasslands/

This is an american link but they use local/regional kitchens. One just outside of Edmonton somewhere I think.