Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Default Motorcycle Helmet Advice Needed

Well, I just found out that helmets have an expiry date. Mine is way past . A couple questions please regarding dual sport helmets.
1) Where is the best place to buy a helmet?
2) Brand recommendation
3) How much should one spend?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Buy lid at your favourite bike shop (support local business). Get lid that is DOT and Snell 2015 approved (every 5 years). The most expensive likely carbon fibre, with nicest comfy materials > $500.00. Middle line lids $250-$500.00 are excellent, provide excellent protection. Bottom line lids (made in China/Taiwan), make a decent lid at affordable price. Try a few on. Make sure you have the Snell/dot approval.
I crashed many years ago (ugly mx crash)split my $25.00 lid in half (right down middle). The $25.00 lid was only dot approved (Canadian Tire special), it did its job. I survived. However I had 30 minute concussion. Spent two days hospital.
My advice buy the best you can afford. $200, $400+. Make sure fits. Enjoy the ride.

Arai, Shoei, Bell, HJC, Fox, Troy Lee, those all work.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 PM

I bought an HJC modular.

I bought HJC so I could get the pinlock anti fog device which is very effective in colder or wet weather. I like it.

Modular because I wear glasses and can put on and take off the helmet leaving my glasses on.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Lightbulb Reality Check !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well, I just found out that helmets have an expiry date. Mine is way past . A couple questions please regarding dual sport helmets.
1) Where is the best place to buy a helmet?
2) Brand recommendation
3) How much should one spend?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
For the type of riding you're doing, a 'dual sport' helmet would work just fine, but it's Not really necessary ... any 'Good Quality' full-faced helmet that fits properly will do.

For more details, see lmtada's post below (post #2). Take notes, and govern yourself accordingly.

Over & Out,

Selkirk
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Lots of choices and good advice already. One option I like is a sunshade that is integrated into the helmet. Sunny out drop it down , changing conditions use when needed.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:05 PM

Best way to know is try them on. You will know which one you like right then but usually it’s the most expensive so best one in a budget.
I had an HJC for years and my ears were raw for the first two months putting it on and off. Went to Shoei and never had the issue but paid more than triple for it. Give and take.
Like others have said. DOT and SNELL are the ones you want.
Have fun.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys, great advice as usual. I can't believe the price of these helmets! Just reading up on the DOT, SNELL and ECE ratings. Pretty interesting for sure.
I sure do not want to spend a grand for a lid but, will it do better than a $300-400 helmet if I go down? Any way I will spend some time shopping over the next couple days.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 PM

The shape of your head will determine which helmet fits you best. The more expensive helmets are generally lighter. I really enjoy my carbon fiber helmet, because of the lighter weight, but it likely won't protect me better than a quality fiberglass helmet.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Lots of choices and good advice already. One option I like is a sunshade that is integrated into the helmet. Sunny out drop it down , changing conditions use when needed.
I like this too - as I wear glasses its like having built in sunglasses. I forgot to mention this bit in my first reply.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Go on YouTube, find channel "FortNine". Guy does awesome reviews on bike related things, including helmets. Few videos where he puts gear to the test...
Helmet is one of the things you shouldn't cheapen on. I would never wear open face lid, not very hot on modulars either... Full face only.
Drive around dealerships, try them on. When i was looking for mind i tried quite a few. HJC fit well, but heard split options on the integrated sun shade... Decided to check out new Sena helmets, with integrated Bluetooth. Didn't sit well on my face... Ended up buying Shui, marked down to $500 from $800 because last year model.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 AM

Check clearance sales. Lots of good deals at the end of year.
A friend of mine recently scored a carbon fiber that was 66% off at the sled show last year. It for snowmobiling, but the concept is the same. After wearing the new one for one trip the difference between the weight was enormous. No shoulder aches, no neck tightness.
I am just getting into biking, and a new bike helmet will be on my radar as well. Already started trying a few on and will be picking 2 styles. Something for quick around town rides, then a full face with sunshield for longer highway rides.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM
AO Sponsor

Make sure whatever you buy fits right. It is amazing how many guys buy too large a size because it feels better, but in an accident an improperly fitting helmet will kill you. A new helmet should fit tight enough to the point that you will bite your cheeks if you try and clench your teeth. It will break in further as time goes on, but if you buy too loose a helmet up front it will only get worse.

And yes there are definitely big differences between the technology of premium helmets vs cheap helmets. In my mind, it is the last place you want to sacrifice. Could very well be the difference of walking away from a crash or being carried away in a body bag. Even worse in a coma brain dead.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Depends if you have a $500.00 head or a $29.95 head. That is the advice that I got a long time ago when I started racing.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:04 AM

I recently went through the gauntlet of helmet purchasing, the best advice for fit was it should be tight enough on the cheeks that it uncomfortable to chew gum. Also remember that the $200 helmet and the $900 helmet had to pass the same rating. Not all are equal in value but they all meet the same requirement.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Ive only ran Shoei for the last while, but mostly because it fits the shape of my head the best of the premium helmets. Youve heard the snell ratings and such, after those are met, the money is spend mostly for comfort while maintaining that rating. Weight. Insulation. Venting. BluTooth. etc etc. My way of thinking of it is if its comfortable, its not a distraction, and we've enough things trying to run us over without our attention being diverted.

And make sure its snug, like the other have said, should squish the cheeks while not pinching the top of your head. Snug and comfy, nothing worse than a device meant to help you giving you a headache.