Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Thompson center venture action screws torque?

Got my venture and the action screws I could turn with my thumbnail, called TC and they say they don't have any specs for that, my savage manual says torque to 40in/lbs and my ruger American says 60-80in/lbs so I'm thourly lost at what I should torque it to without damaging anything
Hope someone can help me out
Old 01-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Banned

Hopefully my input will be of help to you. If find that there are a variety of suggestions as to how much torqued should be imparted upon the action screws due to the fact that the stock is made of wood. Some woods are harder than others and this is confirmed when you look at the Janka scale. Thus a harder wood can be submitted to higher torque values. However, no matter what the hardness is, all wood will compress to some extent. And they will change, swell and shrink depending on temperature and humidity. One could set the action screws to say 40 in/lbs, come back a day later and find that the torque wrench won't click at 40, but may gain another 5 llbs. The wood has "yielded" under pressure.

The answer to this is pillars. Be it steel, brass or even aluminum which is what I make most of my pillars from. If properly set, the top of the pillar will provide a firm base for the bottom of the action. The bottom of the pillar should be square to the action screw head. You now have metal to metal contact top to bottom. When you tighten the action screw, you will feel a solid resistance to further torquing. I dab a little bit of my wife's nail polish on the threads. She donates to me when it no longer does a nice job on her finger nails. I don't get too fussy about the colour. One important thing to keep in mind when setting pillars, is that you want the action screw to not contact the pillar bore.