I think you have never really done a lot of serious upland hunting behind a dog
Cat
You are correct, I havent
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I think y'all are just getting old.
^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a reality for me. When I was younger all my guns were big. Now I look at guns that I carry a little and shoot a lot and to my mind they are only suitable for targets. For hours in the field I enjoy ease of carry and less shooting. I very seldom get into a situation where I want more gun, and often I am glad for less but enough gun.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:42 PM

I disagree about the lighter gun swinging better and faster. in sporting clays the trend is for longer heavier barrels for a smoother swing and better follow through. A lighter gun will have more felt recoil, the only advantage is less carrying weight.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STY181 View Post
I disagree about the lighter gun swinging better and faster. in sporting clays the trend is for longer heavier barrels for a smoother swing and better follow through. A lighter gun will have more felt recoil, the only advantage is less carrying weight.
For those that do not hunt over dogs , shots on birds are very unexpected, fast and very close most of the time .
Skeet shooters are using longer guns as well, doesn't mean that style transfers over to the field well.
I'll stick with the lighter, shorter guns , everybody else can carry and shoot what they want to
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-24-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
and I disagree with you. Those long heavy sporting guns are usually only carried from the cart to the stand. By the time you get into the stand you probably have seen at least one pair of targets. You get to plant your feet just so and plan the exact break point of your targets. Many even pre mount their big guns on the line of flight that the target will take. Under those conditions those big sporting guns are an advantage.

Birds in the field do not let you plan your shot. If you have time you may get to place your feet under you so that you can optimize your shot. Just me, but I think in the field less is often more.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Im a bigger guy-6’2”—250 lbs. Just bought an A400 over a SBE3 because the SBE3 felt too light and like a toy. I like a heavier gun, feels more solid, swings better for me. I think we will just chalk this up to personal preference.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I shoot sporting clays and skeet, and I shoot a heavier gun with longer barrels for this. The longer barrels do smooth out the swing, but they certainly don't swing faster, physics tell us that it isn't possible to accelerate heavier barrels as fast. And in Sporting clays and skeet, you know exactly where the target is coming from, and where it is supposed to go. When shooting upland birds over my dog, I have a good idea where the bird is, but the flight path is a total guess, and I might be in tight cover , trying to get on the bird before it is in the trees. Accordingly, I prefer a light SxS with 28" barrels, as compared to my much heavier O/U clays guns with 30-32" barrels.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:26 PM

I have used my sporting clays Browning 725 the last two year hunting pheasant over dogs in North Dakota and have yet missed a bird because I could not swing fast enough .I use it because it fits me,I shoot it well and I am totally familiar with it as I shoot thousands of rounds each summer with it. My advise too harv3589 shoulder (and shoot if possible) as many different guns as possible and pick the one that fits you the best. If a 12 ga. fits you better then a 20 ga. buy the 12 ga . In my opinion fit is way more important then the gauge and weight.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM

I bought a beautiful .28 gauge CZ Bobwhite double barrel from Prophet river.
What a light super quick little jewel of a gun!!
I absolutely love it and the .28 ga.shot
Old 01-28-2018, 08:39 AM

a sxs 410 is the only way to go
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-28-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
a sxs 410 is the only way to go
Definitely a challenge for pheasant.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Definitely a challenge for pheasant.
haha I cant hit them any ways so might as well educate them lmao (just joking)
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Its not that much of a challenge

If I can hit them with a .410 anyone can. Elk could hit them with a BB gun.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Not everyone has a pointing dog that provides shots of 20 yards or less.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not everyone has a pointing dog that provides shots of 20 yards or less.
Dang, I badly want to take you up on hunting over a good dog like Butch some day. Bucket list buddy.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I recently sold an Iver Johnson .410 SxS not that long ago. Are you saying that I should have kept it? Heck, I usually do OK'ish on clays, live birds not so good. And I don't want to wound birds and have them get away as such.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Dang, I badly want to take you up on hunting over a good dog like Butch some day. Bucket list buddy.
Make some time next year, we will come down for Huns.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Default If you like dogs?

Gitrdun, you can come with me too, I'm old and fat so it is more leisurely with me than with Elk.

I'll have 5 dogs next year so you can do the shooting. We never lose any cripples, for obvious reasons. You can shoot my .410 if you like.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 PM

I have two decent 12ga SxS's now, both the same brand, one with 30" barrels, one with 28", there is a difference between them in handling, if I take a 12ga out walking duck ponds, the 28" gets the nod. I love the 30", but, from a blind or somewhere that isn't a long walk. The 20 ga is better yet, and I can carry that all day. For upland hunting the 20ga will get the nod every time, not even a question. Just the difference in carrying the ammo is noticeable. 28ga would likely be nicer yet in both departments, just that I'd have to shoot more, to shoot better, to be comfortable with it. Fella on FB just posted shooting snows over field dekes with a 28, he waits til they are in where he wants them, otherwise, he takes pictures. Exceptionally good ones.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I have two decent 12ga SxS's now, both the same brand, one with 30" barrels, one with 28", there is a difference between them in handling, if I take a 12ga out walking duck ponds, the 28" gets the nod. I love the 30", but, from a blind or somewhere that isn't a long walk. The 20 ga is better yet, and I can carry that all day. For upland hunting the 20ga will get the nod every time, not even a question. Just the difference in carrying the ammo is noticeable. 28ga would likely be nicer yet in both departments, just that I'd have to shoot more, to shoot better, to be comfortable with it. Fella on FB just posted shooting snows over field dekes with a 28, he waits til they are in where he wants them, otherwise, he takes pictures. Exceptionally good ones.
I know a fellow from Hanna who now uses a 410 for field shoots for geese. He is a superior clay and game shot. He knows when to shoot and more important he knows when not to shoot. I asked him once if he kills lots and he replied that he usually kills all that he shoots at but is no longer concerned with bagging lots.

I think that for mere mortals the big 12 is best for those big birds.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think you have never really done a lot of serious upland hunting behind a dog
Cat
It's funny, I have the same opinion in regards to some of the self proclaimed experts in this thread...

To the OP, I think the 20ga is a great choice for Alberta upland hunting.