Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Our snowmobile club uses a Swisher roughcut mower from Peavy Mart. We removed the wheels and put on some used skis from a snowmobile to make it skid across the snow. As long as the willows are not to large it works good to clear up the little trees growing in along the trail. It can tow behind you or off to one side.

Don't want to hijack the thread just adding some info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trail work November 10 2012 005.jpg (89.7 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg trail work November 10 2012 006.jpg (102.0 KB, 342 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Smile

Haven't been up posting lately. Skinned my first Coyote on Monday! Can't wait to get out for Weasel season and have some Muskrat trapping lined up for February! Happy Trapping, and good luck!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Default triple digit

Well hit the 100 th rat today,also had yote's all over one of my mink boxes had a circle arround it,pulled grass off it,and you can see where they were scratching up snow with their feet,trap stiil set never sprung it,got plans for them guys,large bunch of cattails i plan to set up for them guys,with a little surprise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 174.JPG (63.0 KB, 284 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Well I put out a dozen Marten boxes on Saturday. Hopefully find time to check them on Friday. Will post some pics if I get something. Gotta get my bait pile out, get me some yote pelts!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Well I put out a dozen Marten boxes on Saturday. Hopefully find time to check them on Friday. Will post some pics if I get something. Gotta get my bait pile out, get me some yote pelts!
You wait 6 days between checks? Is there no regulations on check times where you are?

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Banned

only on legholds, Mark.. If you leave other sets longer, you stand a good chance of feeding the dogs, your loss. This is why its a catch 22 for weekend trappers..
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 PM

A killing device has no time limit. Only foothold traps do, every 48hr on a RFMA and 24hr for resident licence.
Oops, you caught that already.

Plan to head out in a couple days, see how our marten poplation is doing.
Almost time to set lynx snares as well....
Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
A killing device has no time limit. Only foothold traps do, every 48hr on a RFMA and 24hr for resident licence.
Oops, you caught that already.

Plan to head out in a couple days, see how our marten poplation is doing.
Almost time to set lynx snares as well....
Good to see you guys getting out! Good luck out there and stay safe!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Default first check

I could not wait anymore for the hunters to leave, I had to get some sets out. So on sunday I put out 17 marten boxes in a little less travelled area. Checked today and picked up 8 marten. One has a good hole on his shoulders from a coyote and will have to sew him up best I can. Wish every check produced like this!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Great first run Bullgetter. I am just headed out right now to check my rat traps. Got to check them in the dark cause I worked today. Got 16 yesterday and hope to do that again tonight. If I do I should be right around 3 digits on rats and 49 yokes. It sure is addicting this trapping
Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Nube that's great your putting up big numbers. Downside is all the skinning you have to do. Took me 2.5 hours to skin 3 marten last night. A coyote takes me 3 hours start to finish. I can not even think of doing 49 of them!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
Nube that's great your putting up big numbers. Downside is all the skinning you have to do. Took me 2.5 hours to skin 3 marten last night. A coyote takes me 3 hours start to finish. I can not even think of doing 49 of them!
The more you do the faster and better you get! I remember my first yote - took a while to do and there were so many holes it looked like swiss cheese!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Once you do some more it wont take long. I havent skinned a whole lot of marten yet but it takes me about 4 minutes to skin one and a couple to put it on the strecher and flesh it.

Mark, once a week is what I have always done for Marten checks. The majority of trappers I know do the same. If you set the trap so that when its caught, it will hang high and away from the tree, you wont have problems with other animals eating them.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Was going to post last night but I got back from checking traps late last night. Got 1 yote 1 huge weasel that kept escaping me and 20 rats.
Skinning at first takes time till you learn little tricks. A warm yote takes me 15 min to skin now and 5 min for a muskrat. I could do the rats quicker but I would start putting holes in them if I did. My problem is finishing the fur. I don't have time to flesh and put up on the boards. I skin and put it in the freezer but I got to get to it here soon and get some done.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post

Mark, once a week is what I have always done for Marten checks. The majority of trappers I know do the same. If you set the trap so that when its caught, it will hang high and away from the tree, you wont have problems with other animals eating them.

Thanks. But most of my boxes are set on the ground. I lost one marten last year to a fox. Haven't gotten any fisher yet. Not sure how to change things up for that!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Well I picked up two Marten. One that will be a Xxl and the other was a small one. Been to busy hunting whitetails but will hopefully get a bunch of sets out next weekend. Just got done setting up my bait pile so hopefully that will pull in some coyotes.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguy View Post
Our snowmobile club uses a Swisher roughcut mower from Peavy Mart. We removed the wheels and put on some used skis from a snowmobile to make it skid across the snow. As long as the willows are not to large it works good to clear up the little trees growing in along the trail. It can tow behind you or off to one side.

Don't want to hijack the thread just adding some info
That looks like a neat idea, always a battle to keep the brush back.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Back from the line, Not much snow yet, about 5". Had a good check, bunch of marten, mink and a fisher. Lots of lynx sign, and had the fisher partly eaten overnight. have some loops hanging for him to check out now. Hoping to post some lynx pics next time round.

We had a late start to the season bacause of little snow, so now it's go time before the season is done. Have approx 110 marten/lynx sets out and be setting more snares next round. Wolves are back now, SRD shot a bunch of Buffalo last winter for testing and the wolves feasted all winter. 357xp is the wolf guy, hope he takes his 30-30 next time..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1608.jpg (108.4 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (104.5 KB, 275 views)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM

I'll send you some snow Jim we got hammered. heading out tomorrow to get another 40 marten sets down, then start digging out the ones already down. Doing my first run on my new 600 E-Tec tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I'll send you some snow Jim we got hammered. heading out tomorrow to get another 40 marten sets down, then start digging out the ones already down. Doing my first run on my new 600 E-Tec tomorrow.
Brian you are going to enjoy the etec, sips fuel and oil after the 2nd tank (break in ) I bought a extreme last year and the power is amazing , I pick up a 14 SWT 600 Etec for my work horse this year.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Default recoil woes

just a word of advice on tundra 300 recoil starters, if the rope rips off out in the sticks, FIX IT RIGHT AWAY! i figured just do the wrap around the clutch and away i go. worked fine until we were almost back to truck, heard some really bad noises under the hood so i let off the throttle right away, and it stalled right away,
i guess the slack rope got caught in the flywheel and ruined everything
had to gut the whole thing, and still there is a strange sound in there new parts on order, gonna take it apart tonite, i have this funny feeling my rope is wound up behind the flywheel.

lesson learned
Old 12-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Default E-Tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Brian you are going to enjoy the etec, sips fuel and oil after the 2nd tank (break in ) I bought a extreme last year and the power is amazing , I pick up a 14 SWT 600 Etec for my work horse this year.
I'll be waiting for your reviews on this sled as well, Brian. I run a '97 AC Bearcat 440, and it just keeps going and going, but one day....
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
just a word of advice on tundra 300 recoil starters, if the rope rips off out in the sticks, FIX IT RIGHT AWAY! i figured just do the wrap around the clutch and away i go. worked fine until we were almost back to truck, heard some really bad noises under the hood so i let off the throttle right away, and it stalled right away,
i guess the slack rope got caught in the flywheel and ruined everything
had to gut the whole thing, and still there is a strange sound in there new parts on order, gonna take it apart tonite, i have this funny feeling my rope is wound up behind the flywheel.

lesson learned
Your oil pump is driven from that end of the crank with a little plastic shaft. The pull start rope could of wiped it out A lot of tundra owners take the pump off and run pre mix
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I'll be waiting for your reviews on this sled as well, Brian. I run a '97 AC Bearcat 440, and it just keeps going and going, but one day....
I'm putting a 1.75 inch track and some truck studs on the new Skandic SWT 24x156x1.75 should work good. The 2.25 inch track on my Tundra Extreme is too tall ,I might trim it to 1.8 and stud it also.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Just wondering why you ( and turbo mulcher ) went with the 2 stroke instead of the ACE ???
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM

I'm a die hard 2stroker I like the power and now these Etec skidoos get 20mpg. Also I like having a pull start where the 4strokes don't have them.I think the 2strokers are a little lighter.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Your oil pump is driven from that end of the crank with a little plastic shaft. The pull start rope could of wiped it out A lot of tundra owners take the pump off and run pre mix
did this a few years ago already, one lose screw cost me a motor job. just recoil parts i need now.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Looks like we may open the line up Saturday. Looking forward to getting the new vk540 out to break trail. Anyone setting beaver ponds in the north? What's the ice thickness

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Beaver ponds

Mark,

You are good for beavers, lots of ice here south of you....well except for that run I fell through You end up finding some for bait yet?

Spruce
Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Spruce, how many rats do you have now? I finally broke 100 but pulled my traps till later in the spring