Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 03:15 PM

well, how did it go??

waiting for them to update. but it appears the estimate was low. on the heavies any way. didn't pay close attention to the semis.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:22 PM

My ones that were estimated at 110 went for 104 then some of my worst ones that were estimated at 16 went for 40 so in the end had 49 there and Ave 70 us so not horrible I guess.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:52 PM

Waiting for them to update my account. Worked it out myself. Came within 50 cents. Amazing!!

ok, so its updated. the presale estimate is actually 5 cents low. thats incredible!!! some where low,some where high. but the over all average was within 5 cents.

my wife figures the whole thing is a show.

Last edited by braggadoe; 01-30-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:00 PM

Jeez I thought i rocked it! Then i noticed after an hr or so that it was in canadian funds not U.S lol Still happy though. Got a $70 average. Had 3 Damaged not sell which is understandable. If we get somewhere around the posted exchange rate of 1.40 then I think i can live with that and feel it is worth it. Not too happy seeing that 1.24 on there right now and i hope that changes. I felt i was given a break on my grades this time and overal i am happy. Down $10 bucks or so from last year is all. I have a new guy putting up my fur as well and most of these were with a guy that was not doing a good job so I feel next sale will be better for me.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:04 PM

I was rooting for ya bud when your top semi lot came up, 6o bucks was crappy cause despite being a semi that's still a beauty yote but with the way every thing else is selling I think we cant complain.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I was rooting for ya bud when your top semi lot came up, 6o bucks was crappy cause despite being a semi that's still a beauty yote but with the way every thing else is selling I think we cant complain.
For sure!! I wish I knew how to grade my own fur a bit better. I would tan and sell ones like you mentioned instead. They are real nice dogs! For the effort i put into it i can't complain with the prices. It makes some good extra spending money
Old 01-30-2016, 08:22 PM

After todays sale I am convinced I did the right thing by not starting early . A friend I sent furs in for started early, end of October and he ave$69US. Mine form same area , same colors and sizes from late november on ave $114 US. We had same skinner and he noticed it while doing put up . Lets hope this low exchange rate is a mistake , cause that wouldnt be fair to get hosed about 16% on it.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
After todays sale I am convinced I did the right thing by not starting early . A friend I sent furs in for started early, end of October and he ave$69US. Mine form same area , same colors and sizes from late november on ave $114 US. We had same skinner and he noticed it while doing put up . Lets hope this low exchange rate is a mistake , cause that wouldnt be fair to get hosed about 16% on it.
Well done h380! That's a good dime!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 PM

Default prime fur

Quote:
Congratulations on recieving your excellent prices and thank-you for summarizing your thoughts on harvesting prime fur.
My season started Nov 20 without regret.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Jeez I thought i rocked it! Then i noticed after an hr or so that it was in canadian funds not U.S lol Still happy though. Got a $70 average. Had 3 Damaged not sell which is understandable. If we get somewhere around the posted exchange rate of 1.40 then I think i can live with that and feel it is worth it. Not too happy seeing that 1.24 on there right now and i hope that changes. I felt i was given a break on my grades this time and overal i am happy. Down $10 bucks or so from last year is all. I have a new guy putting up my fur as well and most of these were with a guy that was not doing a good job so I feel next sale will be better for me.
The 1.24 is old and will be updated in a couple weeks after auction from what I understand! I see muskrats didn't fare well... $6.50 top lot and most bought back!!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
For a non high numbers guy ya it might be the best thing for sure. You did great. To me i want to get as many as I can and getting $70 US a dog is good pay for early dogs. Well done on your average
Old 01-30-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Agreed...catch half the Yotes for the same money...on a year with chitty prices that difference would be huge
Old 01-30-2016, 10:22 PM

I got 105 cdn avg on 3, happy with that, one was quite early.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Cam, just when I thought that I had everything figured out!

I had average grades/low prices (based on the posted exchange rate) on coyotes and not one muskrat sold. I averaged $72 on coyotes but until I sit down and take out the shot dogs that graded SDA and SDB, my average really doesn't tell me anything. I'm thinking about a $90 average on snared coyotes. I guess that's not so bad if it turns out to be $1.40 on the dollar. Last year I averaged about $140 on the January auction but thanks to the extension to the last receiving date, I had a lot more December coyotes in.

Initially I was shocked at my results but the more that I think about the economy/market conditions, and the exchange rate, the more comfortable I am with it.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 PM

I can't think of any reason to complain if we can keep coyotes at these prices and even a bit lower.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 AM

Well all I can say is 1 coyote could buy you approx 2 barrels maybe 3 bbl of oil. Less input costs to produce that coyote also no carbon tax or royalties (in AB). I still have a great time catching the little fellows
Old 01-31-2016, 04:37 AM

the amount of coyotes that went unsold in this auction. isn't a good sign for the next one, IMO. 100% clearance is what we want.

good coyotes will sell in the next auction. but anything less than great is going to take a severe beating.

why do they use the term "bought back"?? nobody bought them, no money changed hands.

see alot of "bought back" just before prices really go downhill.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 AM

Bought back is the auction room jargon, what it means is that the skin was offered in the live auction room nobody met the auctioneers limit and now it will be in the private treaty catalogue. Sometimes the buyer has to contact his customer before they can try and match the price the auction house was asking for the skin.
Also the following link explains the way the exchange rate is set
http://www.nafa.ca/nafa-exchange-rates/
Old 01-31-2016, 05:55 AM

"brought back" would seem more appropriate. not a show stopper!!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
For a non high numbers guy ya it might be the best thing for sure. You did great. To me i want to get as many as I can and getting $70 US a dog is good pay for early dogs. Well done on your average
Thanx nube , but I'd still rather get a few less with a higher ave. .I could have maybe picked up another 25 or so if I had gone early as there a number of colony kids trapping nearby that cut into my possible catch but will stick with my system . The areas I'm in have deer hunters until end of Nov. and some of them have been known to have cable cutters . On a side note , at the end of last season I had 2 coyotes that were identical , big and pale . I was hesitant to send em to auction late but deided to send one and hold the other til this Jan . The one on last sale { May , I believe} went for $80 US. The coyote I held for this sale graded exactly the same and brought $122 US.. A bonus for sure , but could have gone the other way just as easy I guess .
Old 01-31-2016, 10:49 AM

More than half my coyotes on this sale were caught in the last week of October and the first week of November, and I averaged 95.13 usd.
For me it's well worth catching them in October and getting 76 usd and up.
The catch rates are 2-3 times higher in October than later in the season, so next year I think I will start around the same time again.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 AM

How many did you have in?

Talking avg doesn't mean much if its a tiny amount.

Same with taking the crappy ones out.

Seems like the ranch mink isn't doing well. Might not be very good for the rest of the sale.

Sucks because all of this stuff is select offering.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 AM

Ya I haven't seen ranch mink being bought back like that for years and the ones that are going are like what muskrat prices were a few years ago, not good
Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 AM

I had 17 at the sale. 15 sold one unsold was sda not sure when I caught it and the other one was dmg3 and that one was caught in December with some lice damage
Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM

I'm all for an early start. But if at the end of this auction cycle. Coyotes are way down. Early coyotes, next year, may not be worth very much.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
How many did you have in?

Talking avg doesn't mean much if its a tiny amount.

Same with taking the crappy ones out.

Seems like the ranch mink isn't doing well. Might not be very good for the rest of the sale.

Sucks because all of this stuff is select offering.
Posting averages isn't helpful much I don't find. My coyotes can be different quality from someone an hr away as well and do better or worse. To me now its all about how well the fur is put up and then it is what it is. As long as the quality of the put up is done right then don't worry about what someone else is averaging because you've done all you can. I used to care about it but you get some guys with 10 or 20 coyotes for the year or a couple guys I know that will look at a yote before they skin it and if they figure it is a $50 dog will chuck it. I throw out very few dogs. If I can get $30 for it then might as well use it I think. I don't like wasting fur even if it is not that great.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:59 PM

I agree with you nube. Never waste a pelt that has at least some commercial value. Coyotes that have fur missing to a certain extend I will still put up and hope for the best. Some will pay off and some won't.
Last year I got $1 for a coyote, but oh well someone's making good use of it.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank90 View Post
I agree with you nube. Never waste a pelt that has at least some commercial value. Coyotes that have fur missing to a certain extend I will still put up and hope for the best. Some will pay off and some won't.
Last year I got $1 for a coyote, but oh well someone's making good use of it.
For sure , I also keep anything that is worth skinning and all are included in average , only ones that get pitched are those with mange or eagles have wrecked . So far only one with mange and I got lucky and shot him before he made it to the sets . Anyone seeing signs of rub yet?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Anything with mange or mites I don't put up. Talked with the people from NAFA and FHA at the rendezvous last year and neither wanted them. Take the 15$ bounty burn them
Old 01-31-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Thats a heck of an average, well done!

I rarely start before the end of Nov....Sept, Oct and Nov are months dedicated to hunting, the only time I will start at some point in Nov is if im tagged out which doesnt happen very often. I dont have time to manage any real amount of snares and put the time into hunting that i like to (family gets a small timeslot at some point too). I consistently do better on overall average than a buddy who starts early, but obviously he ends up ahead in total dollars due to numbers. When prices tank though, he will have spent alot of extra hrs than me for not much benefit. Work smarter not harder.