Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Lightbulb New Hunter Kit

Did a bit of a search on the forums and couldn't find much so here goes...

I am just starting out hunting edible game (been shooting gophers since I was 12, and I am now over 40 ;-), and I was wondering a good place to start for a kit / get ready for first season hunting deer, elk, and moose. I took the hunter training program, and they have items but it seemed to be a bit dated. Not planning on going too far back country (truck a mile or so away), being new to the activity. What do you guys suggest?

Here's what I was thinking - 6 months to go! (pick it apart - I am here to learn!):

-WIN Number
-PAL
-30-06 rifle with scope - approximately $1200 in total for both - no need to go crazy until I know how to take care of it / determine if hunting is for me
-Truck
-Lots of practice with gun prior to heading out
-Emergency kit
-4" knife
-warm jacket / pants / hat / gloves that don't swish in cold (is camo required?)
-Good boots
-rope
-binoculars
-lots of reading on this forum!
-Watch videos
-place to go with plenty of sign
-put in for draws / get tags
-Line up someone to go with

I go into any outdoors store, and I see so much! Blinds and tree stands and scents and antlers and camo and cameras, etc. What does a guy need really, in order to have some early success, which will in turn build that hunting addiction you all have ;-) that will then justify the other stuff?

Cheers

Cheeks
Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Default New Hunter Kit

Personal preference- camo isn't required. Comfort and mobility is key; wind direction and minimizing movement are more important than the color of your clothes.

Get good boots.

Tree stands help, but aren't necessary. You'll be amazed at what you see when you still hunt off the beaten path.

First aid kit, reliable flashlight, fire starter, compass, binoculars and knife/sharpener are musts. I carry backups of some stuff.

I print off the regs for my area, and keep a copy of the booklet in my vehicle. (iHunter/iHunt apps are great too)

I also keep glow sticks and flagging tape to mark my kill if I need to leave it.

Game bags and/or clean poly to lay the carcass on.

Game calls are great. Learn how use them effectively (lots of great help on this forum as well as YouTube etc.)

That should get you started! happy hunting!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 PM

Default Best of luck.

Looks like you got a good starting point. You left out regulations, try to get last years and start reading it/learning it. That is vital! Also id suggest a package gun savage make a few good starters http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...TROPHYHUNTERXP or buy a used set up.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Personal preference- camo isn't required. Comfort and mobility is key; wind direction and minimizing movement are more important than the color of your clothes.

Get good boots.

Tree stands help, but aren't necessary. You'll be amazed at what you see when you still hunt off the beaten path.

First aid kit, reliable flashlight, fire starter, compass, binoculars and knife/sharpener are musts. I carry backups of some stuff.

I print off the regs for my area, and keep a copy of the booklet in my vehicle. (iHunter/iHunt apps are great too)

I also keep glow sticks and flagging tape to mark my kill if I need to leave it.

Game bags and/or clean poly to lay the carcass on.

Game calls are great. Learn how use them effectively (lots of great help on this forum as well as YouTube etc.)

That should get you started! happy hunting!
Yup,keep it simple.I got a 30.06,a small pack with a couple good knives and a wetstone and a small first aid kit.A plastic bag for the heart and liver and at least 4 Bic lighters scattered between your pack,truck and pockets.Chuck in a couple chocolate bars and I also carry a small shaker of salt and pepper mix.Meat on a stick for if you score but have to spend a while out there..Space blanket just in case.Binos.That`s about it.I don`t get all camo`d up.Quiet clothes,worn jeans and a warm lined jean jacket,maybe a vest under.Decent boots.Don`t waste a bunch of money on crap every hunter "NEEDS" to have.Spend it on a good rifle and scope and LEARN HOW TO SHOOT.That`s the biggest thing.You will be fine.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:30 PM

I started rifle hunting 2 years ago with the help of acouple friends.
In the pass two years I have come up with new ideas of what is needed other then the supplies my friends always brought.
Learn what you can from others and expand your abilities.
Scents were a big one for me
Old 03-03-2015, 02:41 PM

So glad to see you put binos on your list. No scoping people!

Couple other things that are not essential, but sure nice to have...
-toilet paper. You're going to be out there a while!
-a small folding saw. Good for survival/comfort and also for taking apart an animal.
-County landowner maps to aid in your asking for access.

This is definitely in the "nice to have' category, but should be a possible future purchase... a range finder. You don't need one if you are going to keep your shots under 200 or 250 yards, and can always tell what 200 or 250 yards is, but if you plan to ever shoot further, good thing to have.

Also, before you shoo anything, be sure you have watched a ton of field dressing videos online. I did my first alone, and did fine, but I'd watched it being done a fair bit.

And read the regs... and then re-read them.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:41 PM

One this that is great is a bit of rope.
When I get an animal I drag it to the nearest tree and tie the legs from one side of the animal to it so keep them spread nice and wide, makes it way easier to field dress the animal.

Also some straps/rope you can use to help you drag the animal out is nice to have too.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post

Also some straps/rope you can use to help you drag the animal out is nice to have too.
Dragging? Nawwwww I remember seeing a video in my Hunters Ed course of a guy packing a whole deer out on his back, one front leg over each shoulder. I think that is the best way.

Note to new hunter: I'm joking!

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-03-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Dragging? Nawwwww I remember seeing a video in my Hunters Ed course of a guy packing a whole deer out on his back, one front leg over each shoulder. I think that is the best way.
Doing this with a pack on one handed makes you a true hunter.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Be sure to wear deer-toned clothing. Nice and safe!

Again, joking!!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Can get a real good starter gun for a lot less than $1200 ,and spend the extra on binos. Welcome to the club ,
Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 PM

Default Savage Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Looks like you got a good starting point. You left out regulations, try to get last years and start reading it/learning it. That is vital! Also id suggest a package gun savage make a few good starters http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...TROPHYHUNTERXP or buy a used set up.
Hah - I was looking at them. I have heard that the tikkas and other light weight guns 'hit hard' compared to a 700 or a 70 - how are the savages?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Savages are accurate and cheap, I would consider the Winchester model 70
Old 03-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Default re: practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Yup,keep it simple.I got a 30.06,a small pack with a couple good knives and a wetstone and a small first aid kit.A plastic bag for the heart and liver and at least 4 Bic lighters scattered between your pack,truck and pockets.Chuck in a couple chocolate bars and I also carry a small shaker of salt and pepper mix.Meat on a stick for if you score but have to spend a while out there..Space blanket just in case.Binos.That`s about it.I don`t get all camo`d up.Quiet clothes,worn jeans and a warm lined jean jacket,maybe a vest under.Decent boots.Don`t waste a bunch of money on crap every hunter "NEEDS" to have.Spend it on a good rifle and scope and LEARN HOW TO SHOOT.That`s the biggest thing.You will be fine.
Yeah, that will be the big thing for me. Used to shooting my ruger 10/22 - I think the kick on the 30-06 will be a bit more;-) I have a large acreage so I plan to setup a bit of a range this year to practice the different distances. I would like to get comfortable to 300 yards. Gives me 6 months! Feel sorry for the few gophers I have left, but they won't feel a thing ;-)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Savages are accurate and cheap, I would consider the Winchester model 70
Gunslinger said the same thing. I am a lefty, though, and they are rather spendy as they are so rare...

That may be my second gun
Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM

All good info, think about another knife, something with a 6 inch blade, can't go wrong with a "buck". There also reasonablely priced.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
All good info, think about another knife, something with a 6 inch blade, can't go wrong with a "buck". There also reasonablely priced.

Yup, I have the Vanguard. Works very well. Just the belt loop on the sheath is junk. Almost lost it because of that!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM

welcome to the club! I think you will find everything you need to know from others on here.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Can get a real good starter gun for a lot less than $1200 ,and spend the extra on binos. Welcome to the club ,
You can but why would you want to. Life is too short to carry a crappy rifle....just sayin
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
You can but why would you want to. Life is too short to carry a crappy rifle....just sayin
Bah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I got my big-game rifle used for about $300. It has its cosmetic flaws, but wow, does it ever cycle and shoot nice. Kills deer and elk just as dead as a fancier one.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Where you located cheeks? I'm sure you can get in touch with another AO member and look over some different gear before you spend all kinds of dough. I have spent thousands over the years and have extra gear that I have loaned out to guys so they can "try" before they buy. My must have in the Bush is a camel pack with water and first aid kit. My rule is no matter how long you are planning to be out for be prepared to have to spend the night. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. Welcome to the club I hope your first experience is a fantastic one that lead to a new passion
Old 03-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeks View Post
Hah - I was looking at them. I have heard that the tikkas and other light weight guns 'hit hard' compared to a 700 or a 70 - how are the savages?
Good shooting out of the box. I shoot it in a 7mm at the age of 11, a savage was my first gun. Im not big on the 30 06 cal but lotsa guys use it. It shouldnt be a problem as a few of the sav are not to light. But yes the lighter the gun the more they kick.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Where you located cheeks? I'm sure you can get in touch with another AO member and look over some different gear before you spend all kinds of dough. I have spent thousands over the years and have extra gear that I have loaned out to guys so they can "try" before they buy. My must have in the Bush is a camel pack with water and first aid kit. My rule is no matter how long you are planning to be out for be prepared to have to spend the night. Hope for the best prepare for the worst. Welcome to the club I hope your first experience is a fantastic one that lead to a new passion
Just south of Edmonton. Good tip on the water!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Type of hunt, different types of gear

This is my standard kit for a single day deer hunt in not too cold temperatures

.308 sako 85 hunter 10 rounds
Day pack
Jacket
Merino wool under
Tshirt
Base layer
Pants
Merino base layer
Good socks x2
Good boots
Neck gaiter
Beanie
Other hat
Merino gloves
Thicker gloves
10x42 binos
Range finder
1.5 litres water
Bear spray
Compass
Tops map
Tags, I'd, pal, etc
Camera
Cliff bar
Bag of nuts
Dried fruit
Via instant coffee
Jet boil
Fuel
Sugar, creamer
Small light tarp
First aid kit
Knife for belt
Knife for tarsals
Kill bag - light rope, surgical gloves, pepper, whet stone, ziploc bags
Section of rope for hanging/dragging
Lighter
Silky saw for pelvis bones
Toilet paper!!!!
Garbage bag to clean up other people's crap and to sit on while waiting

Don't know if I forgot items from the kit, I keep a list the check it off before I go

Other items:
The ability to shoot
Patience
Being slow and observant

I'm no great hunter but I rarely find myself unprepared if I bring all of the above
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM

^^^^ You bring a JetBoil for a day hunt?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 PM

I know you said you wouldn't drift more than a mile from the truck, but a lot can happen in that mile. I would recommend a GPS unit just in case. Nothing fancy just the basics, it'll get you back home.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 PM

I have a molle vest that I keep loaded with my gear all the time that way I just grab a rifle and go. My best has a compass/backtrack,calls, knives, folding saw, drag, cover scent, extra batteries, head lamp, water, hi vis vest, rangefinder, binos, knife sharpener, fire starter, first aid kit, tags, bipod Or shooting sticks and a few other odds and ends. My vest pack is always ready to go and I don't forget anything this way. Also I have a pack set up for coyote hunting as well...same idea just different items.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 PM

If your starting with a 30-06....start with 165gr bullets. I found the Hornady and Federal Premium bullets to work quite well, the Federal Blue box not so well. But others have different experiences.

Water proof boots...actual water proof not just manufacturer claimed...nothing worse than soaking wet feet when your out hunting. And carry a pair of spare socks.

Flagging tape [ribbon] comes in handy, as does a light rope like para cord you can buy at the sports stores. A good headlamp, with extra batteries, and a good compass [not a cheapo]

Take a look at the knives you can replace the blades in...most new hunters totally suck at sharpening and having a dull knife can be dangerous. Havalon and Outdoor Edge both make them.

Find an experience hunter to go with...if you can...someone willing to show you the ropes and mentor you. That would be invaluable.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Whatever you do, and whatever equipment you buy, make sure to actually practice with it before you need it. There isn't much worse than needed something and finding out that it doesn't work, or you don't know how to use it.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
^^^^ You bring a JetBoil for a day hunt?

Have to have coffee

Tags
early success, getting started, new hunter