Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 PM

Default Hanging Euro mounts, 2 questions

First off I hope everyone had a safe and happy hunting season. Question #1 what product are you using to hang your euro mounts for deer and bear any pics would be great and positive/negative feedback also would be great. Question# 2 for a bear euro you have upper jaw/skull and lower jaw how are they being fused together when you are putting them up on wall to display them. If anyone has pics would love to see them and I will show mine when completed. Thanks in advance for any advice and info.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 AM

I just use skull hooker , believe it was $40 from Cabela's

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 07:50 AM

I also use skull hookers, but I’ve seen a couple of do it yourself hangers online that are quite good.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 AM

I use both Skull Hookers and Euro Mounters and like them both. The Euro Mounter has a longer arm which keeps the antlers further from the wall and does help in certain situations.

http://www.euromounter.com/
Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 AM

Bears I put on a shelf.
Deer and moose I use a wire loop. (Although I did make some walnut mounts when I first started going to euro mounts)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:12 PM

I used a 200lb No stud drywall hangar and wire looped behind the bulls brain stem..

Image-1.jpg
Old 12-04-2018, 01:31 PM

What if the brain stem hole isn't there and due to shot placement?

I also have a skull I'd like to hang, but i lost the jaw, and the lower half of the skull where the skull meets the neck bones.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Maybe a skull hooker?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Make your own.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

Nice!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:47 PM

That's a pretty awesome idea, dmcbride! Well done. I would find a way to hide the mounting screw/bolt, but well done nonetheless.

I agree, do your own.

I made this one last year (from this thread):

I found a piece of rough cut lumber by the river. It was not what I was looking for at all, but it gave me another idea.

The piece still had some bark on it. I carefully separated the remaining bark and pressure washed both, the wood and the bark and let it dry. Since the shape of the bark looked good to my eye, I traced it on the lumber and cut out the shape with a jig saw.

I then, using the wood glue, slapped the bark back to the lumber (I tied them together pretty tightly with some wire and let the glue dry). This was the result:

I also sanded all the rough and sharp edges on the lumber before gluing the bark back to it.

Since the lumber is quite thick, it took me some time to find a screw of the right diameter long enough to attach the skull. I put two of these to the back of the plaque and that is what it is hanging on:

There are better options to actually make the hangers flat with the back of the plaque but I did not really care enough and did not want to spend more time on it.

It did not take much time to make the plaque at all. It took a while to place the head on it just right (well, what looked right to me, lol); especially because the lumber was not all nice and even, as you can imagine. And the idea was to keep it rough and "crooked", as you can probably see from the photos, which apparently is not as easy to do "nicely". Anyway, I think it worked out alright.

I am now working on another one. Actually, I have been working on another one for quite a bit now; just no time to get her done. This time, the plaque will be shaped "correctly" - that is, it will be a nice and even shape. It will be covered with some birch bark and moth (three different kinds of it), which I collected two summers ago now and it has been waiting for me since, lol. I did find some right lumber and did some cutting, but it has been on a stall since summer, I believe. Maybe one day, lol.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM

The home made ones look awesome fellows! Nice work!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Hanging Euro mounts, 2 questions

I’ve found a very simple nearly invisible way to hang deer euros and I love it, looks like it’s floating on the wall, just make darn sure you hit a stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM

Great to see the homemade hangers. VERY Nice!

SO much better than those ugly and ridiculously expensive Skull hookers.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-06-2018, 04:53 PM

I agree that the homemade hangers are the nicest. Not so generic.

I have seen a euro moose skull with antlers suspended from a 12 foot ceiling by a 1/8th inch clear cord. The cord has a inline bearing swivel close to the ceiling where it is anchored by an eye screw. The skull was hung in the corner and when he had the ceiling fan on the skull would rotate really slowly. It showed off the skull and antlers really nice. The cord is attached through a small hole in the skull for the cord and the cord is tied to a flat bar inside the skull. The skull was nicely balanced. With a deer euro a person could use 25 or 30 lb. clear fishing line to hang the skull. The moose euro I saw really used the corner space nicely.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-06-2018 at 05:00 PM.