Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Trolling for Kokanee/Rainbow

Every summer my family heads to Vernon BC for two weeks, her uncle has a cabin on Okanagan lake.

I was bored tonight so I pulled out and organized some of my trolling gear/lures I use to target the Kokanee and rainbows in the lake.

With this long winter we've had here in Alberta it can't come soon enough!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.3 KB, 191 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Willow leafs, Ford fenders, three feet of line, hook and gob of worm

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2018, 07:49 AM

1 or 2 ounce in line weights (if needed), Willow leafs or single flasher (not too big), rubber snubber, leader length anywhere from 1ft. to 2ft.(experiment on length) wedding ring (different colors), both kokanee and bows will hit same setup. Lots of "S" turns and slow 1.4 to 1.9 mph. Check your regs for use of bait and barbless or not. We use pink maggots or shoe peg corn in Revelstoke.
They will both take a worm for sure . What you have there is a good start. and enjoy those tasty land locked salmon.
P.S. check out YouTube great info there on how to
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

And make sure you post some pics please.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2018, 08:22 AM

All great info thanks guys!!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 PM

Default Jet diver

I see you have a jet diver.
What is the shortest length of line from the jet diver to the dodger that won't affect the dodgers action?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Back in the 70's I spend a few months on okanagan lake. I just had my prairie fishing tackle with me and no boat. Along the Westside road I went shore fishing regularly and caught nice sized trout on the trusty old red devil spoon. Beside the Kelowna bridge I would wade out to my waist to cast and catch fish all day long. Don't be afraid to try trolling a red devil spoon a couple feet behind a willow leaf for the trout.
A baited wedding ring like mentioned or a silver flatfish behind a willow leaf for the kokanee.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Back in the 70's I spend a few months on okanagan lake. I just had my prairie fishing tackle with me and no boat. Along the Westside road I went shore fishing regularly and caught nice sized trout on the trusty old red devil spoon. Beside the Kelowna bridge I would wade out to my waist to cast and catch fish all day long. Don't be afraid to try trolling a red devil spoon a couple feet behind a willow leaf for the trout.
A baited wedding ring like mentioned or a silver flatfish behind a willow leaf for the kokanee.
His cabin is on Westside road ! Red Devils will be in my box for sure !!!
Old 04-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS View Post
I see you have a jet diver.
What is the shortest length of line from the jet diver to the dodger that won't affect the dodgers action?

I usually go minimum 24" from diver to dodger , don't use it a whole lot since he has down riggers
Old 04-22-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
I usually go minimum 24" from diver to dodger , don't use it a whole lot since he has down riggers
Thanks I'll just tie some 2-3' Flouro leaders
I got a little lake troll rigger but I was wondering if jet diver would keep them from thrashing on the surface.
Before I figured out mono and rubber snubbers I lost some good fish on the first jump.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:21 PM

We were trolling for landlocked Chinook in Idaho using herring plugs similar to what you'd run in saltwater. I caught a Kokanee that was about 8" long. Not much bigger than the herring. Obviously didn't swallow the plug. Pretty damn optimistic.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I got a little lake troll rigger but I was wondering if jet diver would keep them from thrashing on the surface.
Before I figured out mono and rubber snubbers I lost some good fish on the first jump.
I use an 8' light eagle claw Kokanee rod which has a ton of forgiveness , still lost a few fish for sure though
Old 04-22-2018, 05:35 PM

Dweb that 8' rod is and can be an asset for their soft mouths and help to land them. Not the easiest fish to net for sure. Can be to say the least frustrating We always blame the guy with the net lol. You can get 20 bites, 15 that start coming in, 10 close to the boat, 5 at the boat and 3 in the net. Try to keep them in the water as much as possible. Down rigger a bonus with the right set up. I use mine lots
Old 04-22-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Dweb that 8' rod is and can be an asset for their soft mouths and help to land them. Not the easiest fish to net for sure. Can be to say the least frustrating We always blame the guy with the net lol. You can get 20 bites, 15 that start coming in, 10 close to the boat, 5 at the boat and 3 in the net. Try to keep them in the water as much as possible. Down rigger a bonus with the right set up. I use mine lots
Lots of guys on the lake use braided main line and just throw a snubber into your rig works just as good.

It's always the net mans fault hahaha
Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
GWS we have to go bang sand in Vernon.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Last summer we where really successful with fly rods trolling pink Hoochies with snubbers behind small Dick Nite dodgers On Okanagan lake. Also picked up quite a few nice Rainbows fly casting red and white Streamers. Grew up in Kelowna and Dad and I always used fly rods either with fly line or reels loaded with mono.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations