Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Default Still hunting rifle

I'm looking into building a still hunting rifle as a winter project. Here are my parameters
308 or 30-06 caliber. ( mainly because I reload for these already and my budget will be kinda tight so I'm not likely going to have much extra $$ to set up feeding this gun)
Light weight, streamlined, with short ish barrel, blind mag, low power scope in low rings.
Likely I'll be looking at a used rifle and modifying it to suit my needs.

Rifles I currently have

Parker hale 308 w 6-18x44 was my first rifle and don't want to mess with it at all

Semi custom 308 built on a mauser action. 20" barrel mounted w 6-18x44 w 20 moa rail. This rifle was originally going to be my tight brush gun but it shot so well I use it more for LR than anything else. It's really heavy in its current set up

Semi custom 300 wm built on a mauser action. 25" barrel and 6-16x44 scope+20 moa rail. Rifle is about 8lbs but is long for this application and 300wm is overkill for a bush gun

Customized Lee Enfield 303 Brit, barrel cut to 19" peep sights regulated to 100&200yds. I mounted a short rail on the barrel just in front of the action for a reddot ( Bushnell t25) and I designed and made a removable scope mount similar to the old original mounts that holds a 3x9 Bushnell as well. Down sides to this rifle is weight/ ergonomics. For such a short gun it's quite heavy and the large 10 r mag makes carrying awkward.

1985 45-70 stock except for front blade sight and Skinner peeps

336 stock except for Williams foresight front sight and Skinner peeps

My though are an older ruger( I've always wanted one) Refinishing the stock to remove weight and trimming the barrel back then mounting something like a 1-5 or 2-7 low.

Or an older rem 700 and doing the same or looking for a mod 7.

Other rifles that have caught my eye are Winchester ranger or husky/ Parker hale...

On my current bolt actions I have needed stock bags to allow proper cheek weld which add Wight and affect balance for my prefered stile of hunting. I love carrying my levers but often find myself wishing for some magnification. ( I do not like scopes on my levers....been there tried that...)

If I was going to go new the ruger American compact seems to fit the bill. But I kinda like the idea of wood..

Not opposed to a single shot either...

My biggest goal is for streamlined carriability, light and short ish.....a perfect walking/ stalking still hunting rifle that points fast and is a joy to carry

My budget will be quite low ( less than 1000 all in) and I'd love to do this for half than that...possible if I get something used....

I have tones of experience with building/ accurizing/ modifying rifles so I'm not scared off by a bit of a project rifle.

By stepping outside of the calibers I currently load for will just add cost and unfortunately
budget is pretty tight...

Last edited by obsessed1; 12-01-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:14 AM

You need a Mennonite Machine Gun, with a 18-1/2” to 20” barrel.
Throw a 1.5-6 scope on it and be done with it.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Used to have one years ago in 300 savage. decent gun but I ended trading it. Mine had quite the rattle...was the loudest carrying rifle I think I have ever seen and was quite heavy ( I think mid 80s gun??)it had the round for grip with vertical grooves...it was all around clunky, Might be a newer edition is better . the concept is similar to what I'm after.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:22 PM

If the semi is close to what you wanted but not quite, have you thought about a rem 7600 pump?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:07 PM

I have one of these in a 30 odd 6 great caliber great still hunting nice small and Light

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Winchester featherlight 30-06 would be my choice. I found the older Ruger’s kind of heavy. IMO
Old 12-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Winchester featherlight 30-06 would be my choice. I found the older Ruger’s kind of heavy. IMO
A featherweight would be nice... As for the older rugers my plan was to take lots off the stock as they are quite thick in attempt to lighten it up a bit. I'm not set on anything in particular just looking for ideas...with my tighter budget it will probably have to be used and most likely be older and in need of work. So my options will be somewhat limited
Old 12-01-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
If the semi is close to what you wanted but not quite, have you thought about a rem 7600 pump?
Edit...Mine was the 760. Sorry when I saw the pic I mistook it for the 7600... The semi might be just about right.......now I have too many options to choose......
Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM

the 760/7600s are extremely cold on the hands when stalking. My hand seemed to be always on bare metal and I hate still hunting with gloves on unless absolutely necessary. Harvested some nice deer with those rifles but they were eventually moved along.

Recently picked up a used X-Bolt Stainless/Walnut Hunter in 308. It is nearly as light as my Finnlight and handles very nicely. I refinished the stock, added a light weight nylon sling and new hardware, put a Leupold 1-4 x 20 on top of Talley light weights and ended up with a very nice little rifle. All in just slightly over your budget.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:06 PM

Default Husqvarna 1600

Trade Ex has a number of these rifles. That's where I would start. "Oh darn" I already have one.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 PM

I know it is slightly over budget but how about a Kimber Montana? They are light, have a blind magazine and are around 41" in length. They handle great and point well and are an absolute joy to carry. They can be found used for around $1500.
With a small scope you should have no problem getting a good cheek weld.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I know it is slightly over budget but how about a Kimber Montana? They are light, have a blind magazine and are around 41" in length. They handle great and point well and are an absolute joy to carry. They can be found used for around $1500.
With a small scope you should have no problem getting a good cheek weld.
By the time I add a scope/rings I'm almost double my max budget... I think my wife would rather I end up half my budget than double it but I like the idea
Old 12-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

I have a model 100 Winchester carbine in 284, with a VX3 1.5-6 that works well. Super little rifle. Put it together for less than your budget. Not your caliber however.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I have a model 100 Winchester carbine in 284, with a VX3 1.5-6 that works well. Super little rifle. Put it together for less than your budget. Not your caliber however.
I have a friend with 2 winchester 100 s both in 308.... Might be worth looking into
Old 12-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I have a friend with 2 winchester 100 s both in 308.... Might be worth looking into
The 308 in the 100, are plentiful to be sure. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:16 PM

I (my wife) have a sporterized 303 British that weighs in the low 6lb category, has a 5-shot mag and is plenty accurate with lots of hitting power. Something like that would be cheap and fit your bill. It's not for sale btw.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 PM

I second the 760/7600, I have two, a .243 and a 30-06. Sold a 300 savage and I shouldn’t have. When my .243 goes I’ll barrel it to a 7mm-08. I’m tossing around the idea of a 338 federal too.

Good luck on your search, as fond as I am with the pumps, I still enjoy a good bolt gun. Wouldn’t be bad to cut a barrel down to 18” and re crown the barrel if you buy a used gun.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Light weight. Short barrel. Blind mag.

Sounds like a 99 savage in 308 to me. You wont be disappointed.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Light weight. Short barrel. Blind mag.

Sounds like a 99 savage in 308 to me. You wont be disappointed.
Never LOL . IMO the 99 is the ugliest rifle made...
Old 12-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Sell a couple of rifles and pick up a Kimber Montana 84M in 308. You could even knock an inch off the barrel. Throw a low power scope on it and you are set.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Never LOL . IMO the 99 is the ugliest rifle made...
Hah! The collection you described would win no beauty contests lol. Nothing there I would own.......IMO
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Sell a couple of rifles and pick up a Kimber Montana 84M in 308. You could even knock an inch off the barrel. Throw a low power scope on it and you are set.
Who bubba's a Kimber lol?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Who bubba's a Kimber lol?
Making a 21” barrel is hardly bubba’d.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-01-2018, 10:47 PM

This is my present timber rifle. Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate Stainless in 7mm-08.

I had the Leupold kicking around when I bought the rifle so I put it on just to get the gun out to the range with the idea I’d put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 on it at a later date. While the scope is too large for a 16 1/4 inch barrelled rifle and kind of looks silly on it, I shoot it so well freehand that I don’t think I’m going to mess with it. With the 50mm bell on 4.5 power the field of view is great and it lets lots of light in for those days when the rains coming down sideways and it’s dark in the second growth.

Two deer and a bull moose fell this year all with one shot to the side of the head. Sometimes having a lot of confidence in what you’re packin’ makes up for having a short barrel...

Old 12-02-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I've had several of these. 20" is the best length overall topped with a 1.5-5x20 in the lowest rings you can find. Mine currently is equiped with a Williams FP.

Quote:
Mine had quite the rattle...was the loudest carrying rifle I think I have ever seen and was quite heavy ( I think mid 80s gun??)it had the round for grip with vertical grooves...it was all around clunky, Might be a newer edition is better . the concept is similar to what I'm after.
That rattle is a very easy fix with the proper sized O-ring on the forend hanger. What scope did you have on yours?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
I've had several of these. 20" is the best length overall topped with a 1.5-5x20 in the lowest rings you can find. Mine currently is equiped with a Williams FP.

That rattle is a very easy fix with the proper sized O-ring on the forend hanger. What scope did you have on yours?

A foggy old fixed 4x. It was so long ago I don't even remember the brand but instead of cross hairs it ad a single thick tapered bottom post.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Hah! The collection you described would win no beauty contests lol. Nothing there I would own.......IMO
Lol yah to each his own. I'm just picky about leaves guns. I prefer they have tubular mag.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

image.jpg

Seems to do the trick...oldy but a gooder....don't look to far for a old carry rifle...can pick them up cheap too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
This is my present timber rifle. Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate Stainless in 7mm-08.
I will second this suggestion. I put one together in .308win this year, but too late in the season to get out hunting with it (have not done any load development for it).

It is lightweight, short, balances nicely, and I topped my with a Leopold VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm and it "looks right" on that rifle. I thought I may have to put a slip on recoil pad on it just to lengthen the stock a bit, but once I got the scope mounted I found it not necessary. It's compact and holds differently than my other Ruger rifles, but my cheek finds the stock and my eye finds the scope effortlessly when I throw the rifle up to my shoulder.

I'm looking forward to time in the bush with this rifle.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancheroMan View Post
I will second this suggestion. I put one together in .308win this year, but too late in the season to get out hunting with it (have not done any load development for it).

It is lightweight, short, balances nicely, and I topped my with a Leopold VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm and it "looks right" on that rifle. I thought I may have to put a slip on recoil pad on it just to lengthen the stock a bit, but once I got the scope mounted I found it not necessary. It's compact and holds differently than my other Ruger rifles, but my cheek finds the stock and my eye finds the scope effortlessly when I throw the rifle up to my shoulder.

I'm looking forward to time in the bush with this rifle.
My fullsize ruger hawkeye is my favorite bolt action rifle ive ever owned.