Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
By the time I add a scope/rings I'm almost double my max budget... I think my wife would rather I end up half my budget than double it but I like the idea
It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!!
Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Banned

I’d have to agree with the suggestion of selling off a few of your other rifles and picking up a Kimber Montana or a Barrett Fieldcraft. After you pick up one of those you won’t be using your other rifles very often I’m sure. I haven’t handled a Fieldcraft but they say it’s similar to a Nula. My Kimber was one of my favorite rifles, I still regret selling it. It would be well worth your while imo provided the stock fits you.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’d have to agree with the suggestion of selling off a few of your other rifles and picking up a Kimber Montana or a Barrett Fieldcraft. After you pick up one of those you won’t be using your other rifles very often I’m sure. I haven’t handled a Fieldcraft but they say it’s similar to a Nula. My Kimber was one of my favorite rifles, I still regret selling it. It would be well worth your while imo provided the stock fits you.
Picked up a Kimber from another member here and really love it. Sold my Husqvarna but would also recommend a Husky as well. Some of the higher grade Husky’s can be found for 1/2 the price of a new rifle.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Lol yah to each his own. I'm just picky about leaves guns. I prefer they have tubular mag.
There's a winchester ranger in 3006 just popped up on CGN. That might fit your bill.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
There's a winchester ranger in 3006 just popped up on CGN. That might fit your bill.
Oh thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at it
Old 12-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Im not interested in selling anything at this point as all my current rifles get used and serve a purpose within my arsenal....as soon as a rifle goes out the door I'd have sellers remorse.

In just looking to add to fill a niche that I seem to be lacking.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Trade Ex has a number of these rifles. That's where I would start. "Oh darn" I already have one.
Yep, I have a Husky 1600 lightweight carbine in 30-06 with a 1-4x scope on it. A very nice rifle for stillhunting and tracking, I sold my 760 carbine after I bought it. Mine is quite accurate but punishes the shoulder at the range. IIRC theres a decent one for sale in the buy and sell right now, if not its on CGN.... I would give that guy a shout.

My second favorite is a chopped down Lee Enfield with a Williams sight on it... love that gun too.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
This is my present timber rifle. Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate Stainless in 7mm-08.

I had the Leupold kicking around when I bought the rifle so I put it on just to get the gun out to the range with the idea I’d put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 on it at a later date. While the scope is too large for a 16 1/4 inch barrelled rifle and kind of looks silly on it, I shoot it so well freehand that I don’t think I’m going to mess with it. With the 50mm bell on 4.5 power the field of view is great and it lets lots of light in for those days when the rains coming down sideways and it’s dark in the second growth.

Two deer and a bull moose fell this year all with one shot to the side of the head. Sometimes having a lot of confidence in what you’re packin’ makes up for having a short barrel...

That's what I use but in .260 Rem. It's perfect.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!!
Not with my wife.......she would probably shoot me with it LOL
Unfortunately I can't spend money I don't have.....
Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yep, I have a Husky 1600 lightweight carbine in 30-06 with a 1-4x scope on it. A very nice rifle for stillhunting and tracking, I sold my 760 carbine after I bought it. Mine is quite accurate but punishes the shoulder at the range. IIRC theres a decent one for sale in the buy and sell right now, if not its on CGN.... I would give that guy a shout.

My second favorite is a chopped down Lee Enfield with a Williams sight on it... love that gun too.
My enfield is a sweet rifle...used it to harvest my cow.elk this year in the thick stuff but it's quite heavy for its size and the 10 round mag makes carrying it in hand awkward..love the rifle but it can be improved on for still hunting.

I'll take a look on cgn at that rifle
Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
This is my present timber rifle. Ruger Hawkeye Compact Laminate Stainless in 7mm-08.

I had the Leupold kicking around when I bought the rifle so I put it on just to get the gun out to the range with the idea I’d put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 on it at a later date. While the scope is too large for a 16 1/4 inch barrelled rifle and kind of looks silly on it, I shoot it so well freehand that I don’t think I’m going to mess with it. With the 50mm bell on 4.5 power the field of view is great and it lets lots of light in for those days when the rains coming down sideways and it’s dark in the second growth.

Two deer and a bull moose fell this year all with one shot to the side of the head. Sometimes having a lot of confidence in what you’re packin’ makes up for having a short barrel...

This rifle with a 1-6 or so would be the ideal I think. How heavy is it?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
My enfield is a sweet rifle...used it to harvest my cow.elk this year in the thick stuff but it's quite heavy for its size and the 10 round mag makes carrying it in hand awkward..love the rifle but it can be improved on for still hunting.

Pretty sure that gun is in this buy/sell. My Husky, with a 1-4 vxII weighs 7lbs loaded. Honestly though, I think you already own some good stillhunting rifles, got too much glass on a few of them though IMO.

I have a Ruger, it supplied my family with meat for over a decade and I will probably never get rid of it... but its heavy, I don't consider it to be an ideal still hunting rifle. Possibly a Lightweight or an RSI model if you could find one, but I think you would have trouble staying within your budget.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-03-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

How are you allowed to use that rifle to hunt with. I thought you were only allowed a 5 round capacity legally.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
This rifle with a 1-6 or so would be the ideal I think. How heavy is it?
They are horribly ill balanced. For a rifle that’s supposed to be in the hands all day I wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
How are you allowed to use that rifle to hunt with. I thought you were only allowed a 5 round capacity legally.
The 5 round rule only applies to semi autos not bolt actions.
Cat
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
5 rounds is limited to semi autos....bolt action is good to go
Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=Bushleague;3884250]Pretty sure that gun is in this buy/sell. My Husky, with a 1-4 vxII weighs 7lbs loaded. Honestly though, I think you already own some good stillhunting rifles, got too much glass on a few of them though IMO.

I have a Ruger, it supplied my family with meat for over a decade and I will probably never get rid of it... but its heavy, I don't consider it to be an ideal still hunting rifle. Possibly a Lightweight or an RSI model if you could find one, but I think you would have trouble staying within your budget

I built my short 308 with the intent of it being my main stalking/ still hunting rifle. It was originally put together as a scout rifle with the intent of a forward mounted 1-5 scope.
At the time I did not have a low powered scope available so I had a standard 3-9. I after doing all the work and shooting it I fount it to be exceptionally accurate and use it more for long range work than anything else. I could change the glass out but I feel like Its filling a spot in my safe so I don't really want to mess with it.

My Parker hale is s great rifle but it's a bit long for my preference and it was my first rifle and I don't want to mess with it :-)

My Lee Enfield I built as a truck/ quad rifle and figured the size would be just about right for still hunting as well..also with the different sight set up it's crazy versatile. It's easy minute of deer to 300 yds but it's heavy...and a bit clunky. The ten round mag digs in my back when slung and with leaving the irons intact I had to mount the scope a bit higher than I would like so I added a cheek riser to give a good cheek weld. It works but it's not my holy grail of stalking rifles....

I love putsing around the gun shop during the winter and if I can find something within my budget I'd like to have a project..

A few years ago I bought my wife a Browning a bolt micro Midas 243. Because none of my rifles fit her well.. I was out in the shop the other day and picked it up again and........wow this pkg would make a great stalking rifle.....just might need to beg her to let me use it:-)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 AM

I have the same ruger compact as above, but in a .260 rem and love it! Its got a leupold 2-7x33 which fits the gun well. Contrary to Chucks opinion, I find it balances very well and is very accurate. Only thing I've been wanting to change is increasing the LOP by an inch with a buttpad. I'm 6'2" and it's a touch short. It truly is a joy to carry. I've packed it through some thick nasty bush out here in BC.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 AM

30-30 lever action model 94, worked for 100 years of still hunting for most big game.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
I have the same ruger compact as above, but in a .260 rem and love it! Its got a leupold 2-7x33 which fits the gun well. Contrary to Chucks opinion, I find it balances very well and is very accurate. Only thing I've been wanting to change is increasing the LOP by an inch with a buttpad. I'm 6'2" and it's a touch short. It truly is a joy to carry. I've packed it through some thick nasty bush out here in BC.
I just think with a 16 inch barrel it would be mighty loud isnt it. The fullsize hawkeye has a fullsize stock and 22 inch barrel for about 1 pound more (7 pounds no scope). I can see the compact being very handy to hold. (5.75 to 6 pounds before scope)

Either way, my Hawkeye is a fantastic fit to my shooting style.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Found one

This seems to fit your bill...

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...barrel-30-06-8
Old 12-03-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
30-30 lever action model 94, worked for 100 years of still hunting for most big game.
Agree. I have a 336 and 1895 both get used but both wear peep sights and I don't like having a scope on my levers.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
This rifle looks about perfect for the job
Old 12-03-2018, 12:18 PM

Aaaaand and just like that my funace quit...replaced the igniter and still no go...new board is 500+...looks like my cash stash is getting redirected... Oh well. Maybe after christmas
Old 12-03-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
They are horribly ill balanced. For a rifle that’s supposed to be in the hands all day I wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole.

That’s what I would think too looking at the thing but I shoot it better offhand than anything else in my cabinet and this is the least expensive rifle I own. My wife says I’m a bit off balanced too so maybe the two equal each other out.🤪

Maybe you just need a long barrelled rifle Chuck to make up for something else that’s a bit short...
Old 12-03-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
That’s what I would think too looking at the thing but I shoot it better offhand than anything else in my cabinet and this is the least expensive rifle I own. My wife says I’m a bit off balanced too so maybe the two equal each other out.🤪

Maybe you just need a long barrelled rifle Chuck to make up for something else that’s a bit short...
Just thought I’d save that. Thanks for the concern.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
This rifle looks about perfect for the job
I periodically brows through the Husky's on Tradex, usually they are a bit rough. Not saying they aren't worth the cash but checking the classifieds might turn up a far nicer specimen.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 AM

What about something like a Mossberg MVP patrol in .308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 AM

So my unexpected furnace repair ended up costing me 600 of my cash stash so my budget just got broken but....last night my wife and kids were out visiting friends so I spent the evening in my gun room. I have an old Bushnell fixed 4x 32 that was just mounted on a 22 that I figured I could swap around. I ended up taking the 6-18 off my short mauser build and moved it over to my 243 coyote rifle.....upgrade:-) then I mounted that 4x on my mauser. The bases are quite high so even in low rings the scope sits a bit high( I'll run by my LGS to look for different bases today) but all in the rifle is sub 7lbs and is short and handy. Now that this rifle is no longer set up for long range shooting my plan is to play around with some 105s in the 243 and see if I can hit my 1000yd gong. Maybe i will save up a few dollars and get a 6.5 something or another for a long range plinker:-)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39 PM

You need a creedmore... (just had to say it)

An old dog leg Remington 600 would fit the bill nicely
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.