Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Default steel shot, upland hunting and dogs

Was wondering about using steel shot for upland? Would this work or is the range too limited? How about shooting steel shot over dogs? Are there any concerns with shooting steel in the company of dogs that one would not have with lead shot (ie riccochets etc.)?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Was wondering about using steel shot for upland? Would this work or is the range too limited? How about shooting steel shot over dogs? Are there any concerns with shooting steel in the company of dogs that one would not have with lead shot (ie riccochets etc.)?
Steel shot is Junk and is twice the price of Lead shot.Use the Lead for upland,it kills way better than steel.only advantage of steel is that its fast.I shoot cases of steel every fall duck hunting,Oh how I miss my waterfowling with lead shot.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM

Why?
Lead shot is legal in most places, Upland can be prety tough hunting at times, pitty to mess up the only shot off the day and cripple a bird because of less that the best type of shot. One would hope that you arn't shooting low enough to get the Dog. Yes you can use steel but there are better choices.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 AM

I shouldn't think that I would be shooting low near the dogs. I was more worried that if it hit a tree or something behind the shot that the extra velocity of the steel cartriges might cause it to ricochet. I guess my concern would not only be limited to the dog, but myself too. Doesn't the steel shot come out of the barrel with much more velocity?

Do they still make any of that bismuth shot? Was that any good?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I shouldn't think that I would be shooting low near the dogs. I was more worried that if it hit a tree or something behind the shot that the extra velocity of the steel cartriges might cause it to ricochet. I guess my concern would not only be limited to the dog, but myself too. Doesn't the steel shot come out of the barrel with much more velocity?

Do they still make any of that bismuth shot? Was that any good?
Bismuth was a good non-tox alternative to steel, but expensive.
Nice shot is now on the market, as well as ITX, but these are not cheap either, and are usually reserved for waterfowling.

I have seen a dog shot by an experienced hunter BTW, it can happen if you are not SUPER careful when working with a dog.
As far as steel goes, it is fast but has less energy than lead.
I cannot see a problem with using it for upland, but you won't catch me shooting it out of my guns for the reasons given - cost being a big one.
I use a standard skeet load for ruffed grouse, that is about as cheap as you can get, the 9's range far enough and do not mess up the bird too much if there are some pellets hit the breast.
Cat
Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Go with the lead, steel shot has come along way however still not as effective on the birds. All the other stuff such as tungsten,bismuth etc way to expensive. I have never heard of steel shot ricocheting off trees. Buildings, rocks and such maybe, but if that is happening one is not being safe in the feild and when it comes to dogs the bird should be way up in the air before shooting anyway.