Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Dewie

Default 300 ultra mag

looking at a 300 ultra mag. for the 2nd time now, sold the first one because it was a little hard on the sholder. just wanted to know if muzzle braeks make a differance?

and if anyone has any loads worked out and the balisticks on the load?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Dick284

The muzzle brakes do make a difference. They do lessen recoil but they increase the muzzle blast to the point where only a couple of shots out in the field will induce irreversable hearing damage.

If the gun is too much for you to handle, why not go to something that does'nt beat the living tar out of you.
Just how much energy do you think is actually required to kill a deer, or a moose, or even an elk.
I'll let you in: no less than 1100ftlbs for deer, 1400ftlbs for moose, and 1700ftlbs for elk. Those are practicale low averages, maybe add a hundered ftlbs to make the calibre optimum.
So what a cartridge that delivers 1800ftlbs, of energy to what 400yds?
300Win mag with 180's will do that.
As does the 7mm Rem Mag with 160's
But lets talk all reality here. 400yds is a heck of a long ways to shoot, and even though I've done it more times than I care to remember, lets face it most (90%) of the hunters have no business taking those kind of shots in the first place.
If we claw the maximum practical distance to 300yds, it opens up the seletion catigory to a host of cartridges, many of which leave your shoulder a lot less tender, and your wallet a whole lot heavier when it comes time to buy ammo.
30'06 and 270 Win. come to mind.

It's times like this that I begin to wonder how our Grand Daddies, and their fathers put any meat on the table, with such maligned cartridges like 300Savages, 30/30's, and 303's.
Learn to shoot, learn to hunt, and the rest will work it's self out.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Dewie

To be honest with you I love shooting guns and when I buy a new one I shoot the S@#t out of it at all kind of yardages.
so I know pretty well were it hits. My opinion is that there is no better caliber than this, lots that are comparable but no better.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Suka

Default grandad

Pretty safe to say grandad didn't have the hunting pressure we hunt with.
Mine would hunt antelope with a .22; put a 2'stick in the ground, tie a red hankey to the top, walk about 30 steps, sit down, shoot the first one that comes to check it out.
He claims he never waited more than 15 or 20 minutes, but then he also had a hooey stick.(am I dating myself?)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Dick284

Default Re: grandad

Dewie:
I cant dispute your opinion, it just wont work.
But I'm gonna throw a few questions at you, and then I'll reply.
What's the furthest you've ever shot and killed a big game animal? (species, and caliber, and kill critique)
What is the average distance you kill your game at?
Can you stand on your hind legs, and hit a 9" pie plate?
And at what distance do you start to miss the pie plate 80% of the time?
Why do you think the 300RUM is the ulimate hunting caliber?
Do you own a laser rangefinder?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Dewie

Default Shooting

I have no problems shooting 500 yards.

548 bull elk 2 shots.
average 350Yards
don't shoot unless bypod out laying down.
leica 1200 rangemaster

I did lots of research on the big calibers and what I found out is that your short mags are just like normal mags which is fine but not flat. But I did fined 3 really close calibers.
7mm Ultra mag
7mm STW
300 ultra mag

P.S other then the 338-378 or 30-378
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
jrs

Thats true but not all guys shoot off there hindfeet at long distances. I limit myself to 100 yards (i've done the pieplate) off my feet but i can shoot 3-4'' groups all day long off a backpack or shooting aid at 400-500 yards. I shoot a smaller caliber still (270WSM) but must admit the average distance i personally drop critters at is probably 250-275 Yards. I have never lost a critter or had a long tracking kind of experience (i've seen others not capable of long range shooting hit and lose animals however). It is nice to have the power but maybe a guy doesn't need to use it much. Of the last two deer i shot, one was harvested with a 270 at 250 yards and the other was harvested with a 303 british at 80yrds. My short mag was out of bullets (and sight) due to some dumb attempts at shooting coyotes and a little more target practice than i needed (i swore i had another box of bullets in the safe at home). Must admit though, if i needed to i could have filled all my tags with the 303 by the end of the season. Would have ment a extra drag and a extra afternoon out perhaps but i still would have the same amount of meat. I always enjoy this discussion. The pie plate test always makes me want more and more practice, even with the 22 or 223 during summer. My first pie plate test with my 270WSM i think i hit 3 out of 5 at 75yrds. I have killed a deer at laser confirmed distance of over 500yrds (she appeared to be limping and i thought another hunter may have lamed her, i had tag so it was worth it) She dropped and rolled about 75 meters down a coulee. I probably wouldn't attempt it now as my seasons go by quicker every year but at least its possible if a follow up is ever needed. Everyone should try the pie plate test however.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Dick284

The reason for the pie plate from your hind legs, is that I find it is a good guage of your ability if your huffing and puffing, and have adreniline going through your system.
I use it as a tool, to say woa that's beyond what I can do even if I have a rest, which I highly recommend you always use.
As for your choice Dewie, well it looks like you've got decent enough founding for your reasoning and opinion, as for the recoil issue and hearing loss, try a heavier rig, and a good recoil pad, and when you practice the Lead Sled from Caldwell is made to order for your perdicament.

As for the hunting pressure issue there Suka, I find that mostly exists betwix a fellers ears.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Jamie Hunt

Dewie.
Get yourself a SIMS butt pad. Worked like a charm for me.
3 hours 60 shells.. No problems.
AND (remember its not bragging if you did it:b ) I was free handing a Steel plate at 300 yards!!! WO HOOOOO
After that session I was more than confident in my setup for the whole season.
- 1 wolverine (50 yards from a boat)
- 1 Whitetail (Rattled in to 100 yards)
- 1 Whitetail (Spot and stalk, shoot at 310 yards) (Camp wain)
- A few yotes at 200-300 yards

All of these I knew I could make the shot, because I was comfortable with my gun and wasn’t afraid of it anymore.
SIMS RULE!

Sure we could all go back to shooting 30-30's but then I wouldn’t have the excuse to buy more guns.

Jamie
Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default Re: Shooting

Hey
Are you a big guy? Im in great shape standing at 6.1 and just under 260lbs. I shoot the 340 Weatherby, nothing walks away once you bring down the hammer. The nice thing is you don't need that screaming mussle break. I'm from the old school shoot as much gun as you can handle.
Happy Hunting
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
walleyes

To answer you're first question dewie,, yes a muzzle brake does tame them down quite a bit,, but like stated they are loud,, not so bad for the shooter but anyone beside you,,, ouch,,, Two of us in our hunting party shoot 300rum's my partner has the muzzle brake I don't and his is definitely easier on the shoulder,,but you can be 3 miles away from him when he shoots you know who it was,, and if you're beside him when he shoots it hurts...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
jrs

congrats. Always nice to welcome a new gun into the family :lol
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
prairieboy

I currently own two 7mm stws,a 7mm ultramag and two 300 ultramags.To be totally honest my favorite of the three is the 7mmstw.I have killed elk ,moose,deer,pronghorn and bighorn with the 7mmstw with great results.I have also killed elk,moose and deer with the 300 ultramag with great results.Using handloads,the 7mmstw actually shoots flatter than the 300 ultramag,and the 7mm ultramag shoots very slightly flatter yet,but at the cost of an even shorter barrel life.In all three cases,factory loads are pathetically mild and can easily be improved upon with handloads.Recoil can be stiff with the 300 ultramags,so I had mine built with heavier contour barrels,decellerator recoil pads and mcmillan stocks,the result being rifles that are much more pleasant to shoot.None of my current rifles have muzzle brakes,and I will never again own any rifle with a muzzle brake as even a single shot without hearing protection can cause measureable hearing loss for both the shooter and any bystanders.The recoil from the 7mmstw is much milder especially when using lighter bullets.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Dewie

Well I just walked in the door with the new gun. remington model 700 xcr "VERY NICE".

I have had 1 before so I know the punch it packs. To answer
the question 6'1" 160lbs not that big at all.

this gun is just for elk and moose, got 270 & 243 & 7mm for deer

thanks to everyone
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Jamie Hunt

PB. Why do you own a 300 RUM?

jamie
Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM
prairieboy

Jamie-I own my 300ultramags because when I heard about the cartridge being developed,I wanted to test it for myself.Although I prefer the 7mmstw as a single big game cartridge,I do like what the 300 ultramag does when used on larger game such as elk and moose.By building my rifles with the components that I chose,I was also able to make them quite tolerable to shoot although recoil is still more than with many other cartridges.I would not however choose the 300 ultramag if I had to shoot a factory rifle or if I did not handload,or if it was to be my only big game cartridge.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:06 AM
HUNTNUT

I own both the 7mm and the 300 ultra mag while I like both of them I prefer shooting the 7mm. No real reason I just like shooting it more, but you can't beat the 300 for throwing big bullets accurately for long distances.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 PM

Default Hmm

testing testing
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Default ultra mags are for lazy people

I own a .300RUM 700 xcr . The reasearch I did on the 300 and 7mm showed me the 300 had more hitting power than the 7mm but the 7mm was flatter but not by too much . I think i want a 7mmRUM so my question is : is its recoil remarkably better than the 300RUM or not really much better. And has any one tried to reload the .300RUM down to see if you can replicate the .30-06 and the.300wsm performance and how . I guess that is why I bought the .300RUM because remington spoke of the versatility of what you can shoot out of it. If this is true this would be the best gun ever . So if you loaded it for .30-06 performance you have a deer gun and a challange at extreme ranges -If you loaded it for .300wsm you have a bear/moose gun and yer doing good at extreme ranges - Then if you loader right up you got a griz and cape buffalo gun and a decent 800 yard gun.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM

If you can handle the weight put a Murcury rod in the but and put a but pad on the gun, you will go def shooting with a muzzle break... JMO
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Default 300 Rum

I have a Remington 700 BDL that i had a break put on!!!! Love it ....Kicks less then my 30-06 and shoots a 165gr accubond with 96 gr of Reloader 25 at 3460FPS.. And groups well under a inch..
Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Default I can handle the punch

Well for the bullet to do its job on the critter I was thinking the 300rum would be a versitile gun because of what you are suppose to be able to shoot out of it without much scope adjustment ( within 200 yards or so ) . So has no one tried to replicate the performance of the .30-06 or the 300wsm . Thats what that gun is intended for . Haveing a selection of rounds . And im not sure i want to put a break on it now and run the risk of wrecking it .

I shot a dead calf at 175 yards and the entrance was the same size as the exit - 93.5 gr. of h1000 180 gr. hornady bt balistic red tip . Not enough damage .

Has any one loaded the 300rum down and how so i have somewhere to start?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Default 300 RUM reloading

I have a 300 RUM remington 700 CDL, kicks like a mule and I love it.
Best cartridge in my opinionm, accurate and fast with devastating stopping and penetration power. I reload with a 200 grain Nosler Accubond with 93 grains of RL-25 powder, it seems differant for every gun tho play around with it a bit any you wont ever pick up another rifle or cartridge, dont loose much at all going to 200 grain from 180 but you gain a lot, 200 grain better for long range thumper.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM

I have a muzzle brake on my 300 wsm and I will no longer use it. Just too uncomfortable. In fact the rifle will likely be for sale soon as I'm eyeing one just like it without the brake. I can just see the responses that will say use ear protection. Last thing I want to deal with when I may have only seconds to shoot. In addition I found that a limbsaver recoil pad is enough to make me comfortable. I certainly have no problem with the caliber though. Fast cars, fast rifles; gotta love em.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Holy old post Batman!

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building