Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Pretty straight forward you type a lot without saying anything.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Pretty straight forward you type a lot without saying anything.
I guess i'm not a writer, and never tried to be. But then again everyone on here only see's there side, and never really reads every post.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I guess i'm not a writer, and never tried to be. But then again everyone on here only see's there side, and never really reads every post.
Yeah, I've been waiting a long time for this and I've heard all the arguments over and over for many years.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Shes a tough old row to hoe. Why 209?? Is it anger that archers can hunt a mule deer every year close to home on years they are not drawn for a rifle tag. Sure, afew guys kill a mule deer every year. That is an option available to everyone, even disabled folk. Heck, I broke my back riding bucking horses in my youth. You wanna know what it takes for me to be able to bow hunt? Lets just say I am working all year... A crossbow has never even came into the picture for me, though its a wonderful option to have if needed. Once again, archery is available to everyone. I dont understand what the problem is?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM

I don't understand what the problem is either or why this has gone on for eleven pages of the same ****ing and moaning. Times are achangin and the crossbow is on the way in,probably sooner than later by the sounds of it. About 90 % of the posts in this thread are from 4 or 5 people going round and round with the same tired arguments. I beleive most people are in favor of crossbows,but most people also don't want to carry on this same argument that has been done to death in the sticky.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 PM

Quick question about the 1st topic. Does the sept 1 start date guarantee a 2 week bow season, or how would the dates work for the bow season?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM

As far as I know, It would just standardize a starting date, to stop the wednesday after labour day confusion.While increasing bow season yearly by a couple or so days.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 AM

Pack we have covered this over and over ad nauseum. My opinion isn't changing and neither is yours. But the rules are, yeehaw!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
I don't understand what the problem is either or why this has gone on for eleven pages of the same ****ing and moaning. Times are achangin and the crossbow is on the way in,probably sooner than later by the sounds of it. About 90 % of the posts in this thread are from 4 or 5 people going round and round with the same tired arguments. I beleive most people are in favor of crossbows,but most people also don't want to carry on this same argument that has been done to death in the sticky.
I'm curious if the trend in other places where crossbows are allowed continues here. That is where almost 50% of the crossbow shooters come from current vertical bow shooters.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Well we all know that most people are lazy. But theres no way that has anything to do with anything on this one....

Edit,,, this comment is referring to the stats comment rich. Weve all heard about your injury. I still cannot believe your attitude towards bowhunting though. If Id had to bet before knowing, Id have lost a big bunch.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 04-13-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 AM

Hey Pack by your post I can tell you you are still are clueless about my attitude...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 AM

Default Maybe

Quote:
Pack we have covered this over and over ad nauseum. My opinion isn't changing and neither is yours. But the rules are, yeehaw!
I wouldn't get too excited just yet! The end result might not please anyone! We should wait and see.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
When your standing at the door with your smoke pole in hand I think they get the picture. But then again you don't hunt with archery equipement, or in area's strongly influenced by bowhunting so how would you know!!!

Plus riding people coat tails , usually gets you what you want!
Well for starters I never approach a landowners residence with a gun or crossbow, or any weapon in my hand....that may be part of your problem..........
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Well we all know that most people are lazy. But theres no way that has anything to do with anything on this one....

Edit,,, this comment is referring to the stats comment rich. Weve all heard about your injury. I still cannot believe your attitude towards bowhunting though. If Id had to bet before knowing, Id have lost a big bunch.
I've been forwarding this thread to someone, and while I realize you and the others think you are being passionate, the feedback I've been getting reads "elitist, arrogant and selfish".
This same person just replied to this post of yours and said, "so is this guy (you pack) too lazy to hunt with a long bow?" and my favorite, " so when he shot that deer with the rifle did he do it from the road out the truck window as all the elitists on here typify rifle and crossbow hunters?" A final quote, "I don't know if they actually read or believe in what they type but the couldn't do a much better job furthering their opposing camps agenda than what they have done hear. The average Albertan would be appalled to read what is written in these pages."
This person isn't the average Albertan either.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What area do you hunt.?
I usually hunt 1/2 hour north of Edm, or 45 min east, as well as about 45 min straight south, and I also have a fair bit of permission as well as lots of crown land I know fairly well in the Slave lake area. Never have I been asked what tools I am using to hunt, and yes I usually reaffirm permission well before either the archery or the gun season open. Personally I usually get a yes/no answer, but have never been specified as to what weapon to use. Must be a southern thing.......
Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM

From SRD presentation, these are the proposed changes on the table.

Quote:
Consultation on Wildlife regulation Issues for 2011

2. Standardize start dates for Archery Hunting to Sept. 1 in WMU’s with rotating start date.
- affect seasons that start first Wednesday after labour day.

Quote:
6. Muzzleloader seasons (pre-rifle season) over a broad geographic area.
-the season would run during the last two weeks of archery season, just before the rifle season started.
-muzzleloader hunters would need to hold a valid rifle season permit for the species and zone.
-would apply for moose, deer and elk.
Looks like general tag holders in open season WMU's and LEH WMU Rifle tag holders can participate in Muzzleloader hunt. Hunt would run concurrent with last two weeks of archery season.

Quote:
7. Inclusion of crossbows in the archery only seasons.
-crossbows would be considered archery equipment.
-Compound and Crossbow harvest success is similar.
-this would likely not increase success but would likely lead to increased participation in archery only seasons, leading to increased harvest levels during these seasons.
-the anticipated increased harvest during archery only seasons would likely result in moose and mule deer archery only seasons being put on draw.
SRD is ready to put ALL moose and mule deer on LEH with the proposed inclusion of crossbows to archery season.

Make all the suggestions you want. It won't mean a thing if you don't contact Minister of Environment, SRD, HFTF, AFGA, ACA, ABA..... with your opinion to these proposals.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

Here's the comparison in my mind:

You guys want to distroy what tiny little bit of archery only land we as bowhunter enjoy by jamming as many guys as possible into these zones with the addition of XGuns. You want all of the archery zones to go to draw. You want to shoot XGuns (even better would be if they would allow 300. win mags.) However, you claim we are greedy for protecting what small piece's of the Alberta we get to ourselves. We are greedy? Who are the guys that want EVEN more land to hunt? Not us? You already get the rest of the provence to yourselfs? Who's greedy?

Can you imagine if the table where turned? What if they jammed all you guys into 3 or 4 tiny zones and said "HAVE AT ER!" While the rest of us got the rest of Alberta! How pi$$ed would you be if while this was happening we decided that we wanted even more! Now everything you shoot is going to a draw because there are to many of you all of a sudden so now you need to wait 5-15 years for a tag. This is what XGuns will do.

QUIT LIVING IN THE MOMENT! LOOK AT THE FUTURE! IF YOU WANNA KEEP BLASTING THE NUMBER OF ANIMALS YOU GET TO BLAST NOW THEN ITS TIME TO FOCUS ON THE FUTURE! That or wait 5 years between tags. I'm sure that would make you happy!

WAKE UP!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've been forwarding this thread to someone, and while I realize you and the others think you are being passionate, the feedback I've been getting reads "elitist, arrogant and selfish".
This same person just replied to this post of yours and said, "so is this guy (you pack) too lazy to hunt with a long bow?" and my favorite, " so when he shot that deer with the rifle did he do it from the road out the truck window as all the elitists on here typify rifle and crossbow hunters?" A final quote, "I don't know if they actually read or believe in what they type but the couldn't do a much better job furthering their opposing camps agenda than what they have done hear. The average Albertan would be appalled to read what is written in these pages."
Are you f'n kidding me? It is being passionate and caring about the environment. We would like to continue to have animals to hunt in Alberta. We look ahead to the future. We don't opperate on greed! We don't want to kill everything in we can and live in the moment! Do you wanna wait 5-15 years for a tag? Your not loosing anything if this happens! WE ALL ARE! Then again if you can shoot a few more animals a year then good for you, eh?

So forward your little messages back and forth and try to make us look like bad guys. Do you think we care?

We care about the sport of hunting not just about the killing!
I know the kind of guys i'm dealing with and i know you would never understand. So, enjoy playing on the internet all day long complaining about everything that everyone in this world is doing wrong! In your eye anyways.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Maybe you don't realize that there is archery season all through Alberta,not just YOUR bowzones. When the crossbow is in with the archery season,I don't see myself packing up and heading to Calgary to hunt,same as I don't do it now with my compound. Most people are still going to hunt local, same as now.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post

You guys want to distroy what tiny little bit of archery only land we as bowhunter enjoy by jamming as many guys as possible into these zones with the addition of XGuns. You want all of the archery zones to go to draw. You want to shoot XGuns (even better would be if they would allow 300. win mags.) However, you claim we are greedy for protecting what small piece's of the Alberta we get to ourselves. We are greedy? Who are the guys that want EVEN more land to hunt? Not us? You already get the rest of the provence to yourselfs? Who's greedy?

Can you imagine if the table where turned? What if they jammed all you guys into 3 or 4 tiny zones and said "HAVE AT ER!" While the rest of us got the rest of Alberta! How pi$$ed would you be if while this was happening we decided that we wanted even more! Now everything you shoot is going to a draw because there are to many of you all of a sudden so now you need to wait 5-15 years for a tag. This is what XGuns will do.

QUIT LIVING IN THE MOMENT! LOOK AT THE FUTURE! IF YOU WANNA KEEP BLASTING THE NUMBER OF ANIMALS YOU GET TO BLAST NOW THEN ITS TIME TO FOCUS ON THE FUTURE! That or wait 5 years between tags. I'm sure that would make you happy!

WAKE UP!
I'll likely regret this and I promissed myself I'd stay out of this discussion but your facts are so flawed that it's frightening. This post is in no way in regards to the inclusion of x-bows in archery season or a shot against archers as I am one but I'm simply pointing out the folly of your, flawed logic that you seem to be using as factual evidence to support your arguement.

You say there are only three, tiny archery only zones. How many rifle-only zones are there? None that I'm aware of.

There are archery tackle exclusive seasons throughout the province in nearly every WMU for most species save sheep and black bears and in many of the cases they run twice the length of the rifle season. How many seasons do rifle hunters have where archers are prohibited from hunting in? Again, none that I'm aware of. Archers have many seasons in which they exclusively can participate in without drawing a tag. How many seasons are there where rifle hunters can exclusively participate in in without drawing a tag. Again none that aren't also open to archers.

Archers have it darned good in this province and I'm a big supporter of the archery seasons but as much as I'll likely regret this, I couldn't help but posting and pointing out how out of touch with reality you really are. It's guys like you that are becoming the poster child for those pushing for the inclusion of crossbows in archery season. You need look no further than the mirror to see your own worst enemy!

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-13-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'll likely regret this and I promissed myself I'd stay out of this discussion but your facts are so flawed that it's frightening. This post is in no way in regards to the inclusion of x-bows in archery season or a shot against archers as I am one but I'm simply pointing out the folly of your, flawed logic that you seem to be using as factual evidence to support your arguement.

You say there are only three, tiny archery only zones. How many rifle-only zones are there? None that I'm aware of.

There are archery tackle exclusive seasons throughout the province in nearly every WMU for most species save sheep and black bears and in many of the cases they run twice the length of the rifle season. How many seasons do rifle hunters have where archers are prohibited from hunting in? Again, none that I'm aware of. Archers have many seasons in which they exclusively can participate in without drawing a tag. How many seasons are there where rifle hunters can exclusively participate in in without drawing a tag. Again none that aren't also open to archers.

Archers have it darned good in this province and I'm a big supporter of the archery seasons but as much as I'll likely regret this, I couldn't help but posting and pointing out how out of touch with reality you really are. It's guys like you that are becoming the poster child for those pushing for the inclusion of crossbows in archery season. You need look no further than the mirror to see your own worst enemy!
Oh My God....... can it be............ a voice of sensibility and reason in the wilderness.......or perhaps someone that is willing to look at the big picture, and not just sit and whine about how I want it my way and that's it.......It's the not in my back yard mentality that you are promoting that has caused so much of the turmoil surrounding this.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post

WAKE UP!
Maybe you should drive north for a couple of hours and then you would have endless miles of Crown land where you can hunt with your bow undisturbed from Sept 01 until the end of November. Or do you only want to hunt in "your" bowzone??

Last edited by Morbius131; 04-14-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
My opinion isn't changing and neither is yours. But the rules are, yeehaw!
I thought this was only a proposed change? Are you saying this is already set in stone?

Here is a quote directly from the Proposed Regulation Change for 2011 document.

"Significant changes that would be considerd include: putting moose and mule deer hunting under the authority of Special Licenses in many WMUs and reducing rifle (general) allocations where required."

How many rifle only hunters are going to be happy with this?

Last edited by traditional; 04-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Ok 209 and friends. Never have I made mention of any weapon to be of choice by poachers, nor have I condoned such remarks. I desire to see change as well, Id too like to see a muzzleloader hunt solidified in Alberta. No, I dont think Xbows belong in an archery hunt scenario, and yes, Ive stated that, and why I feel that way. No that mule deer in my avatar was not poached, shot out the window, etc etc, nor were any other animals that I have harvested been taken by means of poaching. No, I am not an elitist, I hunt with nearly all weapons so as to enjoy as much time outdoors as possible. Yes, I could learn to use a long bow, just like I could learn to use a recurve, xbow or even a spear. I do shoot archery tackle, does this person?? If not, what is this person's excuse for not enjoying and valueing this tradition? I also absolutely believe your friend surely must not be of the make-up of an average Albertan, I believe this individual to be below what most would call marginal... Its the only explanation available with his/her remarks. Thanks for taking the time to pass this individuals thoughts on 209. Very rewarding situation we all have here isnt it...

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Ok 209 and friends. Never have I made mention of any weapon to be of choice by poachers, nor have I condoned such remarks. I desire to see change as well, Id too like to see a muzzleloader hunt solidified in Alberta. No, I dont think Xbows belong in an archery hunt scenario, and yes, Ive stated that, and why I feel that way. No that mule deer in my avatar was not poached, shot out the window, etc etc, nor were any other animals that I have harvested been taken by means of poaching. No, I am not an elitist, I hunt with nearly all weapons so as to enjoy as much time outdoors as possible. Yes, I could learn to use a long bow, just like I could learn to use a recurve, xbow or even a spear. I do shoot archery tackle, does this person?? If not, what is this person's excuse for not enjoying and valueing this tradition? I also absolutely believe your friend surely must not be of the make-up of an average Albertan, I believe this individual to be below what most would call marginal... Its the only explanation available with his/her remarks. Thanks for taking the time to pass this individuals thoughts on 209. Very rewarding situation we all have here isnt it...
LOL Pack you just made my evening! Cheers.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
LOL Pack you just made my evening! Cheers.

LOL, likewise 209!! Glad my opinion is found to be humerous. Beats the alternative, with you being angry for some silly reason!

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
the feedback I've been getting reads "elitist, arrogant and selfish".
Name calling in the 3rd person, is still name calling.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

There arnt any "exclusive" rifle zones as there are bowzones. The only reason for bow-only zones is safety. Bow hunters pose VERY little (if any) safety hazzards to anybody or anything (people, property, livestock). Rifle hunters on the other hand....well, let's just say bowhunters track record is way better.

I think the idea of barring bowhunters from a rifle season is ridiculous. We pose NO safety risks and take a much smaller portion of the yearly harvest among all hunters. Why keep a bowhunter out? I don't see a legitimate reason, if you see one, educate me, I'm happy to listen.

We do have far, far greater general tag opportunities than rifle hunters. And for good reason. As a whole, bowhunters are more responsible, more serious about what we do, leave a smaller footprint on the environment, take less game out of the zoneand pose WAY fewer safety concerns. They key words there are AS A WHOLE, there are exceptions to every rule.

Archers do have it darned good here. We earned it! That's why you see such a resistance to the inclusion of crossbows. Those of us that take bowhunting seriously know damn well what's gonna happen. The spike in archery season hunters is gonna stun (the already quasi stunned) govt and their first move is gonna be SHUT IT DOWN. They're already bracing us for the blow and it hasn't even started to happen yet! Then all the bandwagon fad chasers will go back to their guns and leave us with barely a hint of what we used to have. We don't deserve that, we've been good boys all the way through!
And to get back to the grass roots of this sideshow of a thread, including xbows in our archery season is ultimatley going to be the indirect/direct (depending on how you look at it) demise of the privilidges I think we've earned.

When was the last time you saw some dork cruisin a cutline with a loaded bow on the seat next to him and a beer in his hand? Lol. Case and point.

Last edited by HerdBull; 04-14-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
LOL, likewise 209!! Glad my opinion is found to be humerous. Beats the alternative, with you being angry for some silly reason!
Jeepers Pack it is the internet, why on earth would I be angry?!?!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
There arnt any "exclusive" rifle zones as there are bowzones. The only reason for bow-only zones is safety. Bow hunters pose VERY little (if any) safety hazzards to anybody or anything (people, property, livestock). Rifle hunters on the other hand....well, let's just say bowhunters track record is way better.

I think the idea of barring bowhunters from a rifle season is ridiculous. We pose NO safety risks and take a much smaller portion of the yearly harvest among all hunters. Why keep a bowhunter out? I don't see a legitimate reason, if you see one, educate me, I'm happy to listen.

We do have far, far greater general tag opportunities than rifle hunters. And for good reason. As a whole, bowhunters are more responsible, more serious about what we do, leave a smaller footprint on the environment, take less game out of the zoneand pose WAY fewer safety concerns. They key words there are AS A WHOLE, there are exceptions to every rule.

Archers do have it darned good here. We earned it! That's why you see such a resistance to the inclusion of crossbows. Those of us that take bowhunting seriously know damn well what's gonna happen. The spike in archery season hunters is gonna stun (the already quasi stunned) govt and their first move is gonna be SHUT IT DOWN. They're already bracing us for the blow and it hasn't even started to happen yet! Then all the bandwagon fad chasers will go back to their guns and leave us with barely a hint of what we used to have. We don't deserve that, we've been good boys all the way through!
And to get back to the grass roots of this sideshow of a thread, including xbows in our archery season is ultimatley going to be the indirect/direct (depending on how you look at it) demise of the privilidges I think we've earned.

When was the last time you saw some dork cruisin a cutline with a loaded bow on the seat next to him and a beer in his hand? Lol. Case and point.
You, Whitetailer, the con artist of great repute that stole, lied and cheated people right here on this board are one to talk. I'm sure the other archery hunters are squirming in their seats with you speaking for them.
Closed Thread