Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A six pound gun is comfortable for shooting lighter loads for a box or so,but I wouldn't want to deal with the recoil for a day of shooting skeet or trap,unless of course the gun has a system like the Beretta kick off.As well,with a skeet gun or a sporting clays gun,heavier guns that reduce muzzle lift are a benefit.Muzzle lift makes it more difficult to recover and get back on target for shooting doubles.
I donno.... some of these new autoloaders are pretty amazing.
Take a look at the 6 pound Browning Maxius. You can take 3-1/2" BBBs and fire them one handed. The technology in the new lightweight autoloaders sure has come a long ways in the past 18-24 months.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

I finally got to take a look at a 930 and 935 today,the guns seem to be a little hard to find,they actually seem like a decent gun,they have some cheaper parts like a plastic trigger guard and stuff,but the guy swore by them,says he has a friend with a 930 and has had it for years and never brought it back ,he says most of the 930/935's he sells he never sees again,and other place said they have one as their range gun for everybody to shoot,it has shot thousands upon thousands of rounds and never had a mis fire or any problems,so i may be leaning toward the mossberg now,it's relatively cheap and supposedly incredibly reliable,either than or the 1187,but i don't like the 1187 loading mecahnism under the gun that you have to press as you load every shell,and i like the mossberg's saftey on the top of the gun more than on the trigger,personal preference i guess,when i was a kid i had a bb gun with the safety there and i like it there.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Take a look at the 6 pound Browning Maxius.
Looking at the Browning site,the Maxus with a 28" barrel weighs 6lbs 15 oz,which is almost 7lbs.When dealing with recoil over a hundred rounds or more,a 15% difference in weight is noticeable.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

If you are going to shoot a semi-auto and a fair amount of ammo, you will eventually end up with a Beretta or a Benelli. Just my observation.
I have heard good reports about the X1.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
If you are going to shoot a semi-auto and a fair amount of ammo, you will eventually end up with a Beretta or a Benelli. Just my observation.
I have heard good reports about the X1.
yeah i haven't had a gun for a while,back when i did i started like every other kid on the east coast with an old crack barrell 410,then i moved right to a 12 gauge single shot,then i got a old pump passed down from my brother it was as heavy as an anchor but worked great,then i went and bought my own a browning can't remember the model exactly but it was a nice gun,I personally would rather have a pump but I hear a pump isn't very good for skeet so i decided to get a semi,I have been out of hunting for a while and am just getting back in,maybe i will end up with a different gun that i originally but maybe not,I just want to get a good one for now and go from there.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Default Benelli

x2 on the Benelli Montefeltro, awesome semi that shoots well for me, nice fit and good for trap/skeet. I have a Benelli Nova Pump for the big loads.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM

ive got a browning silver hunter and love it. the silver hunter is good for both trap and hunting. bought it before the maxus came out though. reviews for the maxus look goood and i know that i cant wait to give a try
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 AM

I definantly would not look at a 20ga. if your looking to get into hunting, because you'll find the ammo for 20 ga. more expensive, harder to find and with way less choices for loads. As for 12ga. for the target games I'm pretty sure you could shoot target loads all day and not have it bother you, I've shot 300 rounds in a day with my browning gold and didn't have the slightest bruise. With a 20 your shooting basicly the same weight load at the same velocity with a lighter gun so it's going to kick more.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I definantly would not look at a 20ga. if your looking to get into hunting, because you'll find the ammo for 20 ga. more expensive, harder to find and with way less choices for loads. As for 12ga. for the target games I'm pretty sure you could shoot target loads all day and not have it bother you, I've shot 300 rounds in a day with my browning gold and didn't have the slightest bruise. With a 20 your shooting basicly the same weight load at the same velocity with a lighter gun so it's going to kick more.
Actually ,with a 20gauge,you normally shoot less shot than with a 12 gauge.The most common 12 gauge target loads are 1-1/8 ounce,and the most common 20 gauge target loads are 7/8 ounce.As a result,even with a slightly lighter gun,the recoil is the same or less with the 20 gauge.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A six pound gun is comfortable for shooting lighter loads for a box or so,but I wouldn't want to deal with the recoil for a day of shooting skeet or trap,unless of course the gun has a system like the Beretta kick off.As well,with a skeet gun or a sporting clays gun,heavier guns that reduce muzzle lift are a benefit.Muzzle lift makes it more difficult to recover and get back on target for shooting doubles.
If we are shooting target ammo, muzzle lift is pretty minimal with 1oz loads. Some shooters have shotguns that are ported which will reduce this phenomenon to some degree, but makes their guns very loud if you happen to be beside them in a 5 stand. FS
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Some shooters have shotguns that are ported which will reduce this phenomenon to some degree, but makes their guns very loud if you happen to be beside them in a 5 stand. FS
I use the same gun for skeet and for hunting,so porting is not an option for me.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Check out Fabarm's website,they have italian made semi shotguns that are the fastest cycleing semi auto shotguns the world.
Junkie,

Who carries these in Alberta and what kind of price range you talking about?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Has anyone heard of a new company (PrairieShot) out of MB selling a shotgun lineup called SCORE? Apparently they are a Turkish import. Sounds like they are making their own ammo in MB as well. They look like a nice gun but there is very limited info.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 AM

My wife has a Mossberg 930 in walnut and I have one in synthetic. Both have been great guns and I don't believe can be beat for the price. In fact my dad often uses my 930 as I also have a Remington 1187. It has also been a very good gun but requires a little more cleaning than the 930. Yes the 930 has a plastic buffer but neither has broken on our 930's.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by love those guns View Post
My wife has a Mossberg 930 in walnut and I have one in synthetic. Both have been great guns and I don't believe can be beat for the price. In fact my dad often uses my 930 as I also have a Remington 1187. It has also been a very good gun but requires a little more cleaning than the 930. Yes the 930 has a plastic buffer but neither has broken on our 930's.
thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I donno.... some of these new autoloaders are pretty amazing.
Take a look at the 6 pound Browning Maxius. You can take 3-1/2" BBBs and fire them one handed. The technology in the new lightweight autoloaders sure has come a long ways in the past 18-24 months.
Is there any chance that the gas system may affect range though?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Ken do you mean the gas lost used to cycle the system as opposed to pushing the load down the barrel? If so I've often wondered the same thing.
Because shotgun powder burns so fast I assume most of the speed of the load is built fairly quickly but the gas ports are only a third of the way down the barrel, in the new Rem. they are right at the crimp of the cartridge. So you would think there would be some pressure and velocity loss?? Anyone?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Is there any chance that the gas system may affect range though?
I have the Vinci.Recoil is much lower than my 870 and the Vinci is 1 lb lighter.It seems logical to me that if recoil is lighter then muzzle velocity has to be slower. One day I hope to fire both through a chrono.

Absolutely love the Benelli. You would not regret it.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I have the Vinci.Recoil is much lower than my 870 and the Vinci is 1 lb lighter.It seems logical to me that if recoil is lighter then muzzle velocity has to be slower.
Semi autos recoil less due to the action acting as a recoil reducer.The velocities are very similar in shotguns.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughunter View Post
Junkie,

Who carries these in Alberta and what kind of price range you talking about?
The shooting edge in Cal.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM

I have a ITHICA 12 ga semi auto, beautifull gun that I would part with for a
$ 1000 Only about 12 rounds thru it. Have not hunted ducks or geese for years. I think it is probly better than most of the other ones listed here. Located in Edmonton, if your interested PM me.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Hey Eastcoast,

Please checkout my thread regarding looking for a slug barrel with iron sights. After you do ask yourself, do I want a semi-auto Mossberg that I may never be able to find a part for.
My advice after trying to find a slug barrel since buying the gun in 1999; stay away from Mossberg unless you do lots of research about replacement parts in this country. No distributors from South of the border want to ship parts to Canada anymore due to our foolish gun import laws and ample red tape.

Just my 2 cents!

Trev
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieredneck View Post
Hey Eastcoast,

Please checkout my thread regarding looking for a slug barrel with iron sights. After you do ask yourself, do I want a semi-auto Mossberg that I may never be able to find a part for.
My advice after trying to find a slug barrel since buying the gun in 1999; stay away from Mossberg unless you do lots of research about replacement parts in this country. No distributors from South of the border want to ship parts to Canada anymore due to our foolish gun import laws and ample red tape.

Just my 2 cents!

Trev
well I haven't bought anything yet,the p.a.l is in the mail apparently but I haven't recieved anything yet,I hear milarm is a big supplier of mossberg who knows if they stock lots of parts or not,I will check that out if I decide to get the 930/35.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Can't go wrong with Browning or Remington, prices are good and parts are not hard to get if you have problems. Mossbergs are ok, I think their autos are made in Turkey. Big names are fine but why pay the price if you are just an occasional hunter or like saying you own a high end gun.
Browning made the original auto the A 5 and all others followed their lead, so most ejector systems are based on Browning. I have an A5 and if you look after them, they look after you. Sadly, the A5 is no longer made, as it was the first auto I ever used back in the late 60's, early 70's. My current A5 is a 1996 model, one of the last made in Belgium.