Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Default Long Gun Registration and Useless Tools

I have a useless tool in my toolbox but I don't throw it out. Why? Because it is paid for and I just might need it some day. Now then, if I had to pay the government each month to keep this tool I would toss it before the first payment had to be made.

We are paying over and over for Long gun registry. It is paid for out of our taxes, it costs us each frivolous time the RCMP access it for whatever reason. As with all good tools, we will pay for what is of great importance to us.

I propose that the RCMP pay for every Long Gun Registry access they make. You can bet that access use will drop substantially. The registry will then become an item to be dropped as the Chiefs of Police will no longer be able to brag about how many times they supposedly access the system if at all.

If the Registry is that valuable to them, the RCMP will pay for using it. If it is just a free tool it will get tossed.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Got a call yesterday from the Conservative Party asking for a donation to be used for advertising (air and tv) on the long gun registry.The lady that called me said that the information the police are giving is false and misleading. She stated that even tickets issued (ex: speeding,running a red light) go through the registry data base.She also said they were going to hit hard on the ridings that changed their minds.As hunters and shooters we have remained quiet too long time for some noise and make it miserable for the political parties in favor of the registry.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM

At 66 million dollars a year it is a dam waste of money!!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Got a call yesterday from the Conservative Party asking for a donation to be used for advertising (air and tv) on the long gun registry.The lady that called me said that the information the police are giving is false and misleading. She stated that even tickets issued (ex: speeding,running a red light) go through the registry data base.She also said they were going to hit hard on the ridings that changed their minds.As hunters and shooters we have remained quiet too long time for some noise and make it miserable for the political parties in favor of the registry.
I don't usually fiscally support political parties. But I have made an exception over the gun registry. If enough of us do support it with donations tied to the destruction of the registry our issue will jump to the top of the list.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I don't usually fiscally support political parties. But I have made an exception over the gun registry. If enough of us do support it with donations tied to the destruction of the registry our issue will jump to the top of the list.
Count me in on this one
Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Besides the waste of money to operate and maintain this blunder, take a look at all the screwups it has caused.

The Police chiefs yammer about the 11,000 a day it is accessed by LEO, and yet we still after all these years here of cops and other 'officials' who do not have a clue about the regs contained in the registry. They seize guns without proper authority and the gin owner is the one inconvenienced , jumping through hoops to get his property back, hopefully in decent condition.

It is not enough to say I'll step and vote next time. I did last time and the registry is still here. OUR VOTES won't make a difference. We need to target those ridings where they voted NDP or LIberal, especially the ones who flip flopped on the vote and those ridings where the election was close. Those are the ones we can win.

If they are too far away for you to actively shut of the TV and knock on doors or pound the pavement, then send money.

Simply voting as you did last time will not change anything. Campaigning about the registry in safe conservative ridings is just preaching to the choir.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 AM

If I were a Liberal voter I would be very concerned about this even if I did support keeping the gun registry.

Having a party leader tell my MP how he/she has to vote on issues which may not be in line with her constituents wishes is not democratic.

I imagine that this will be brought up in the next series of Conservative ads.

/not liberal
//scrap the registry
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 AM

i guess the way the liberals say how good the gun registry is working we can get rid of a hole bunch of police officers .
Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Join the NFA.

Send your money directly to a firearms lobby group. If you can afford both the party AND the NFA well power to you.
If you just send money to the PC's then you're not fueling the right fire. We read these threads about how we have to get those ridings who voted against the dismantling. Absolutely correct. But We already have the PC's on our side. We have to get everyone else. How? Show some teeth with a lobby group. It's working in the states. Then NRA is strong, wealthy and powerful. Because it has a lot of members.

Heck even gun and gun accessory stores have a set up where you can donate a dollar every time you make a purchase. The NRA has lobbyests (sorry, can't spell), & lawyers. This is where the real power is, not coffee drinkers and grumblers.

All political parties in the US realize stepping on the toes of gun owners is a career altering choice.
We need that clout. If we don't get that clout, we're going to lose. Banning together is our best weapon.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Default my vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Besides the waste of money to operate and maintain this blunder, take a look at all the screwups it has caused.

The Police chiefs yammer about the 11,000 a day it is accessed by LEO, and yet we still after all these years here of cops and other 'officials' who do not have a clue about the regs contained in the registry. They seize guns without proper authority and the gin owner is the one inconvenienced , jumping through hoops to get his property back, hopefully in decent condition.

It is not enough to say I'll step and vote next time. I did last time and the registry is still here. OUR VOTES won't make a difference. We need to target those ridings where they voted NDP or LIberal, especially the ones who flip flopped on the vote and those ridings where the election was close. Those are the ones we can win.

If they are too far away for you to actively shut of the TV and knock on doors or pound the pavement, then send money.

Simply voting as you did last time will not change anything. Campaigning about the registry in safe conservative ridings is just preaching to the choir.
My PM – Mr. Peter Stoffer was one of the turn coats, this after he personal assured me that he had heard the message loud and clear. I am an absentee voter and my riding is the Easter Shore. I intend to exercise my right to vote in this riding in the next election, and you can rest assured he will not be getting my vote. I have contacted family members who live in the riding and they are not happy with his about face. Before he changed his vote he or his staff were answering e-mail / fax correspondence,,, now silence.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldan43 View Post
Join the NFA.

Send your money directly to a firearms lobby group. If you can afford both the party AND the NFA well power to you.
If you just send money to the PC's then you're not fueling the right fire. We read these threads about how we have to get those ridings who voted against the dismantling. Absolutely correct. But We already have the PC's on our side. We have to get everyone else. How? Show some teeth with a lobby group. It's working in the states. Then NRA is strong, wealthy and powerful. Because it has a lot of members.

Heck even gun and gun accessory stores have a set up where you can donate a dollar every time you make a purchase. The NRA has lobbyests (sorry, can't spell), & lawyers. This is where the real power is, not coffee drinkers and grumblers.

All political parties in the US realize stepping on the toes of gun owners is a career altering choice.
We need that clout. If we don't get that clout, we're going to lose. Banning together is our best weapon.
I agree. A larger,stronger, more active membership in the NFA, CSSA, even our own hometown gun clubs is needed. The CTF has been raising a big stink on our behalf, as always, kudos to them, and some loot when I can spare it.The anti gun crowd is VERY organized,well funded, with many different groups, all pulling together to deprive other citizens of their liberties, but for the public good, of course.

These organizations attempt to balance the craziness and lies spewing forth from the anti gun lobby with facts, real stats, and by gettng the message through on levels unaccessible to the average guy. Sending messages to the top.

To the anti gun crowd, facts are subject to interpretation and spin, facts aren't really needed in the argument, only emotional reaction, baloney stats, fudged numbers and blaming inanimate objects for human flaws and misdeeds. We need to fund the fight to counter these lobby groups.

And annual memberships are less dough than 1 box of premium centerfire ammo, pretty cheap I'd say.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Default Done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldan43 View Post
Join the NFA.

Just Joined...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
Just Joined...
Dear Sir,
You have just made my day.
Thank you.
My goal was to pass the torch to everyone, and if one would take it, I will have done my part to bring an end to this monumental waste of our limited tax dollars.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' View Post
I agree. A larger,stronger, more active membership in the NFA, CSSA, even our own hometown gun clubs is needed. The CTF has been raising a big stink on our behalf, as always, kudos to them, and some loot when I can spare it.The anti gun crowd is VERY organized,well funded, with many different groups, all pulling together to deprive other citizens of their liberties, but for the public good, of course.

These organizations attempt to balance the craziness and lies spewing forth from the anti gun lobby with facts, real stats, and by gettng the message through on levels unaccessible to the average guy. Sending messages to the top.

To the anti gun crowd, facts are subject to interpretation and spin, facts aren't really needed in the argument, only emotional reaction, baloney stats, fudged numbers and blaming inanimate objects for human flaws and misdeeds. We need to fund the fight to counter these lobby groups.

And annual memberships are less dough than 1 box of premium centerfire ammo, pretty cheap I'd say.
Right around the day of the vote I stumbled across the Globe & Mail's article on this subject.
Big picture to catch your eye.
The picture? A loose pile of blank machine gun belted ammuntion. For those not informed, the issue at stake would not be my old gopher gun, but the type of gun we see on TV and movies that fires that belted ammo.

A perfect example, I think, of your statement how the anti-gun lobby is organized.