Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Default Tobin Lake

Hey Folks, i am heading up to Tobin lake next weekend, We are renting a boat and winging it. Any tips for this time of year?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 PM

Where are you staying resort at the lake or park at river
Old 08-18-2016, 02:52 PM

We are staying at the Tobin Lake Resort
Old 08-18-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve51 View Post
We are staying at the Tobin Lake Resort
You can fish right outside the marina to the left past the beach area , massive break you will many boats in area called Pemican Point. Prudens point will be on opposite side of the river and same thing you will see a lot of boats fishing the point also... Make sure you check out Wells Flats it always produces in the Fall...

There is a store for bait and such right at the marina at the Resort, two older cats will share any and all info on what has been good and not. They will also give you a map of river and lake that has spots highlighted for you

Good luck and have fun
Old 08-26-2016, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the info man. Cant wait to get up there tomorrow
Old 08-26-2016, 02:01 PM

Keep in mind this info is based on Spring. Some things will change, others will still hold fish.

Fishing is good in early June, you just need to work a little harder. We go the first week all the time.

I fish further down river in the spring (as far as and into the actual lake) we run lindy rigs with a leech or just spinners or crawler harness with worms. Jigging works great too! Get a map from one of the local stores and these spots will make a lot more sense.

Fish the very inside of Eagles nest, as soon as the point go's into the small kind of bay on the river. 18ft is usually our target depth. Out front of Tobin lake resort and just around the corner where the cabins are. Fish out from the nice brown cabin.... It's like 3rd last along the beach.

If the weather permits go to the lake, when you go from the river and enter the lake there is a large shelf along the river and lake (as if you were to turn right into the lake from the river). This shelf runs all the way to "Elk island in the middle of the lake" if you head into the "ditches" or "flats" troll across the old road with big wobblers in 7-9 ft of water. No word of a lie, you can catch 5-8 lbs walleye non stop!!! Also the odd big one and lots of big pike.

The area on the maps called the "walls" is great from trolling cranks over the 6-15 ft shelf, lots of good walleye and pike action if you focus on zig zagging over the shelf.

Straight across the river from the walls is a bay that goes from about 14 ft of water to 4 feet fairly quick (50 yards) cast from the shallow side out to deep water... Some real good pike on the shelf. 2 years ago they were still in the shallows all around us.

We find white and pink to work well on the walleye and orange for pike.

Good luck! Let me know how it go's. If you get ****ed up on directions let me know... I'll try and name some landmarks.

Play safe, watch for dead heads and weather... If you don't have a big boat it can get crazy out there fast!

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi3006 View Post
Get a map from one of the local stores and these spots will make a lot more sense.

Cheers!
The map you were speaking of I presume.

http://www.nipawin.com/documents/fis...binlakemap.pdf
Old 08-26-2016, 04:17 PM

^^^^ That's the one!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:00 PM

Thanks for all the info. We had a pretty slow weekend. Sunday we hardly could get out as it was super windy. Landed 5 fish over the two days. One 8 pound walleye and the rest were pike. Lost a **** ton of lures snagging them on what i assume is trees under the water. A lot of the people there said we did pretty good compared to everyone else. the locals were saying it was unusually slow out there. I will give it another shot next year maybe.