Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default GMOs (genetically modified organisms)

For those of you out there like myself who stay as far away from consuming these processed poisons as i do (GMOs genetically modified organisms), i have a question for you;

Do you eat stocked tripod trout?, which have been genetically modified?

Personally i do not anymore, now I'm not saying that if i was starving that i would hesitate to sustain myself on stocked trout, it's just that even the thought of knowingly ingesting GMOs makes me queasy.

This subject brings up a topic for discussion that may bring up some insightful responses, i would like to here how others feel about this subject.

Do you have a problem with ingesting GMOs (genetically modified organisms)?

If so do you make an exception for GMF (genetically modified FISH)?, after all a FISH does count as an organism does it not?

Speckle55 says it best "food for thought".

Last edited by ReconWilly; 08-27-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Do you eat bananas? They are GMO
Old 08-27-2016, 04:15 PM

You would be surprised to know most of produce you see in the grocery store is GMO.

GMO is a pretty wide spectrum - and not all of it may be detrimental for your health.

The way I look at it .....

When they make tomatoes ripen slower and remain firm longer so they can be transported and marketed longer.

Cultivars have been "bred and engineered" for these (or other) characteristics that make produce last longer, fruits that are "redder", sweeter, larger, etc....

Of course there are other traits growers and producers of meat look for - larger, whiter breasts for chickens, faster growing beef, farm salmon that grow quickly with firm, bright flesh.

It's such a wide spectrum of GMO.

In the long run it's a consideration but not a major concern in most cases.

I think steroids in meat, or pesticides in produce are a bigger concern for me.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM

What is it that leads you to believe that GMO's are poisonous? Do you understand what GMO's are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I think steroids in meat, or pesticides in produce are a bigger concern for me.
Steroids in meat? Meh....minimal, doesn't cause much concern for me, particularly beef.

Pesticides though, I fully agree, would rather none personally, but unfortunately with the volumes of food needed to feed an ever expanding population, they are a necessary evil
Old 08-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Gone Hunting

GMO is not only a product of 'interference' from science. Genetic modification has been going on in nature forever.

I'm more concerned about pesticides or supplements added.

I also think people really need to take some responsibility for what they put in their mouth. If you let the gubmint decide............ well ////you know.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Do you eat bananas? They are GMO

Absolutely NOT!!

I couldn't eat a banana to save my life hahaha , GMOS or not ,i have never been able to eat a banana from birth, if i was on a deserted island with only bananas to eat i would slowly starve to death hahaha.

I'm well aware of what is and what are NOT GMOS and fully understand how hard they are to avoid, and that's why i make as much effort as i can to steer clear of them, it hasn't always been this way for me and i can assure you they have had a very negative effect on me that I've largely corrected by staying away from them as much as possible, for me that includes un-natural fish stocks as a personal choice.

#justsaynotomonsanto
Old 08-27-2016, 06:45 PM

I don't like seeds in my watermelon
Old 08-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I don't like seeds in my watermelon

Haha that's a good one!! Watermelon seeds suck.

Even with full time effort to avoid it I'm sure more than half of what we eat has been altered in some way, blame corporate America/Monsanto having patents on the seed industry, talk about a crime against humanity, add to that in certain US states they've drafted laws that make growing your own garden illegal and even collecting rain water Is considered a crime in some places...what a joke.

A guy's got to get out and fish just to get away from all the nonsense...that's what i tell myself anyways.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:05 PM

I would love to see a link stating where growing your own garden is illegal. What GMO trait causes you problems? Its impossible that it is all GMOs because there are thousands of traits in thousands of crops to do thousands of different things so to say all make you sick is not easy to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Haha that's a good one!! Watermelon seeds suck.

Even with full time effort to avoid it I'm sure more than half of what we eat has been altered in some way, blame corporate America/Monsanto having patents on the seed industry, talk about a crime against humanity, add to that in certain US states they've drafted laws that make growing your own garden illegal and even collecting rain water Is considered a crime in some places...what a joke.

A guy's got to get out and fish just to get away from all the nonsense...that's what i tell myself anyways.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Thing is, basically everything is GMO now. If you want non GMO better grow it yourself, my family grows our own vegetables. Thing is I don't like super market fish as you know I don't know why due it being GMO, but as I said everything is GMO. Also, ever since the ice age and all that we genetically modified our own crops. Without GMO we wouldn't get the food we want today, and also its useful as it makes crops strong and prevents disease's and all that. I think there is more positives than negatives, its just that since it has "GENETIC", I guess people are freaked out due to genetic mutations and all that you know heh.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:42 PM

Tin foil hats give really bad hat hair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 08-27-2016, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanr View Post
I would love to see a link stating where growing your own garden is illegal. What GMO trait causes you, problems? Its impossible that it is all GMOs because there are thousands of traits in thousands of crops to do thousands of different things so to say all make you sick is not easy to believe.

Well your right about one thing, GMOs are only one of the many boxes i now conciously check off whenever i can.

As for links, i am barely capable of posting text...one day I'll learn how to post a picture, bill s510 if you're interested, since it passed many front yard gardeners have had issues.

Luckily it's an American problem.

There is a few YouTube videos of people who have been fined for collecting rain water, just do a search.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Tin foil hats give really bad hat hair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaved head...the tinfoil feels amazing on my scalp!
Old 08-27-2016, 11:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I did see where a guy in the states was charged with collecting rainwater.

He had a big man made lake on his property that was filled with rainwater. His downstream neighbours were unhappy for some reason.

I guess "Homeowner charged for collecting rainwater" sells the story if not the whole story.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Public perception has blown this out of porportion. Lack of education is to blame. Should have called it selective breeding. Hate to break it to you, even if you are growing your own veggies you are eating a "GMO". Those varieties of whatever you are growing have been selected for yield,maturity, disease resistance whatever. Like the other guy said, this is nothing new, humans have been doing this forever.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcales View Post
Public perception has blown this out of porportion. Lack of education is to blame. Should have called it selective breeding. Hate to break it to you, even if you are growing your own veggies you are eating a "GMO". Those varieties of whatever you are growing have been selected for yield,maturity, disease resistance whatever. Like the other guy said, this is nothing new, humans have been doing this forever.
Selective breeding I don't have a problem with. When people say "GMOs" I assume they have Monsanto products in mind, where all the food is sprayed with hazardous chemicals. I personally try my absolute best to avoid Monsanto grown products in the grocery store. Eating food from the same company that used their products in chemical warfare doesn't sit right in my stomach.

^ Extremely difficult to avoid, but it is doeable.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Also, keep in mind that many GMOs have very few genes altered compared to the number of genes that will change and mutate simply through natural reproduction within the species.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:57 AM

I don't believe companies can punish farmers whose GMO crops spread. At the same time GMO's help feed billions that would otherwise starve.

Good stuff mostly.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Banned

I think it's fair to say that everything we consume has been affected by GMOs since nature has been doing it since beginning of time. Without GMO there would be a lot less people on the planet today.

As for Monsanto / Bayer / other large chemical companies they all have the same morals. You decide what you are willing to consume.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Selective breeding I don't have a problem with. When people say "GMOs" I assume they have Monsanto products in mind, where all the food is sprayed with hazardous chemicals. I personally try my absolute best to avoid Monsanto grown products in the grocery store. Eating food from the same company that used their products in chemical warfare doesn't sit right in my stomach.

^ Extremely difficult to avoid, but it is doeable.
You do realize all GMO's does not mean Monsanto. Ever hear of BT corn? Saves literally 4-5 applications of insectide broadcast application. So planting BT corn means the farmer will not have to spray the entire field over and over. Next if you think oh BT must be bad! Did you know organic produce is sprayed with BT all the time and is still considered certified organic? There are so many inaccuracies in the whole GMO issue it not even funny. Who is promoting these inaccuracies? Big organics. Have a look at Whole Foods bottom line.

Any diabetics on the board? Ask them what they think of GMO.
I eat GMO all the time and am not scared at all as I believe in the science.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I think it's fair to say that everything we consume has been affected by GMOs since nature has been doing it since beginning of time. Without GMO there would be a lot less people on the planet today.

As for Monsanto / Bayer / other large chemical companies they all have the same morals. You decide what you are willing to consume.
You forgot to mention the founders of all these sky is falling theories. Big organics. Have a look at Whole Foods bottom line. Great example of a company making a killing selling fear and lies in the process.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:54 PM

So I should just blindly believe what you say with no proof, like you have done believing all GMO means crops have been "doused" in dangerous chemicals. Open your eyes and read, don't assume all the bias BS you read on the internet. I certainly don't believe a word of what you posted. Not having a garden in your front yard is more a municipal bylaw issue not agriculture holding back gardening. You would be hard pressed to find a farm without a garden.

Quote:
Well your right about one thing, GMOs are only one of the many boxes i now conciously check off whenever i can.

As for links, i am barely capable of posting text...one day I'll learn how to post a picture, bill s510 if you're interested, since it passed many front yard gardeners have had issues.

Luckily it's an American problem.

There is a few YouTube videos of people who have been fined for collecting rain water, just do a search.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:07 PM

The ultimate reality is simple ......

The consumer determines what they want to buy or consume ........ bigger, redder, brighter fruits that are sweeter and last longer .....

Large white, firm chicken breasts ...... or lean pork

and ..... in extreme cases ......

GMO produce or meat versus not eating at all in climates where growing food is impractical or prohibitively expensive.

GMO's are here to stay.

Like I said - I'm far more concerned about the pesticides, herbicides, steroid, antibiotics and hormones they inject into my meat or spray my produce with.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
This is quite comical. Many of the posts here show a clear misunderstanding of what GMO is. Just sayin. Maybe start off with the definition of GMO first and then decide if you're against it or not rather than applying the GMO moniker to things which clearly aren't.
Agreed - there is a clear distinction between selective breeding and GMO's.

Actual GMO technology is 40 years or so old - not centuries old as some people here have indicated ...... YES there is a big difference many of the contributors don't quite understand.

GMO - in layman's terms is introducing a gene (at the molecular level) into an organism that is foreign to that organism to produce something that never was there or can't be "bred into it". Basically putting genetic material into something from a different species.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
So I should just blindly believe what ythat's all iy with no proof, like you have done believing all GMO means crops have been "doused" in dangerous chemicals. Open your eyes and read, don't assume all the bias BS you read on the internet. I certainly don't believe a word of what you posted. Not having a garden in your front yard is more a municipal bylaw issue not agriculture holding back gardening. You would be hard pressed to find a farm without a garden.

Weewoo Weewoo trigger alert!!

Blindly believe what?

The question was do you consider tripod trout to be GMOS?, thats all i was asking, i have no agenda to push and i completely support everyones right to choose for themselves.

This thread was not an attack on anyone's safe space.

Happy fishing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your opinion on my question interests me, but your opinion of my belief on the matter doesn't matter to me at all.

Last edited by ReconWilly; 08-28-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:56 PM

Lol

Bought a bag of seed potatoes. Starting to harvest now. Just noticed two were tomato/potato hybrids.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Your original post states that you consider GMO poison, that you consider a triploid trout GMO and that you want to know if people are ok ingesting them so you are surprised people comment on that?? You said "they" make you sick because all GMO are doused in Monsanto chemical. I think maybe you are not really interested in anyones opinion but your own.

Triploid trout have not been genetically modified so why do you lump it in the same category?

"A triploid fish is not a genetically modified organism. The genes of the fish have not been manipulated or changed in any way and do not result in the expression of any foreign or novel proteins or tissues. Triploid fish simply have 3 sets of chromosomes instead of 2 and for this reason are not able to reproduce, but are otherwise normal fish."

Quote:
Weewoo Weewoo trigger alert!!

Blindly believe what?

The question was do you consider tripod trout to be GMOS?, thats all i was asking, i have no agenda to push and i completely support everyones right to choose for themselves.

This thread was not an attack on anyone's safe space.

Happy fishing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your opinion on my question interests me, but your opinion of my belief on the matter doesn't matter to me at all.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Your original post states that you consider GMO poison, that you consider a triploid trout GMO and that you want to know if people are ok ingesting them so you are surprised people comment on that?? You said "they" make you sick because all GMO are doused in Monsanto chemical. I think maybe you are not really interested in anyones opinion but your own.

Triploid trout have not been genetically modified so why do you lump it in the same category?

"A triploid fish is not a genetically modified organism. The genes of the fish have not been manipulated or changed in any way and do not result in the expression of any foreign or novel proteins or tissues. Triploid fish simply have 3 sets of chromosomes instead of 2 and for this reason are not able to reproduce, but are otherwise normal fish."
I am curious as to your last paragraph and where that thought came from .......

Are not Tripiloids (3NXX or 3NXY), by definition, are genetically modified?

You can also add AF (all Female Diploids), Tetraploids and Intercross Triploids to my question .....

None of this occurs without genetic manipulation does it? Isn't withholding/manipulating a chromosome a way of genetically engineering an organism?

Certainly doesn't match the definition of how I understand GMO's .... but again, I'm not an expert in this area of genetics.

Just curious really ........
Old 08-28-2016, 05:28 PM

What does this all have to do with fishing??? that's what I'm still wondering.

Triploids just have an extra set of chromosomes usually induced by a heat or electric shock. They are not adding anything that isn't already in a fish.

Seems like you're a GMO activist.

I think you would be better off going to the farming part of the board to discuss Monsanto.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote came from here https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...cumentID=94602.

From what I can understand because they are not altering the genetic material just adding a chromosome which can naturally occur it isn't considered modified. This link goes into lots of detail on how its done.