Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Default Hiking trails with fishing oppertunities

Hi all my boys from the coast and I from alberta are planning a meet in the middle kind of 4 day hiking trip we were hoping to find a loop that has fly fishing oppertunities. We have been looking at jasper but there does not seem to be too many oppertunities as it is all alpine. Thinking anywhere in the middle tumbler ridge chetwind maybe near prince george I dunno we are easy on location as long as it is somewhere between grande prairie and kelowna
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 PM

There are lots of hiking trails with fly fishing opportunities... are you looking for lakes or rivers to fish?
Old 02-29-2020, 10:14 PM

We are mostly looking for rivers the hike/scenery is the highlight but we would also like to fish some rivers while out mid summer
Old 03-04-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Hikes

It's tricky to give information on spots like these because they are usually spots that people hold closest to their chest. Hiking in and fishing an area (in my mind) is the core of this sport and no one likes fishing beside someone after hiking in three hours to their favorite glorious stream. That said my advice would be to either get a backroad maps book and simply compare hiking trails to their proximity to streams/ rivers. Or if you're feeling more adventurous, drop in where the black lines cross blue lines as there are often bank trails along the streams. As for a dead giveaway, Chester Lake is a great lake to fish with lots of fish in it (just be careful of the local grizzly that lives there).