Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Default Truck Went in at Crawling Valley

We went out to CVR this morning (at the end of red rock road) a truck tried to cross a huge pressure crack. we were fishing about 30 yards away from it when it opened a few weeks ago, scary stuff. the crack goes E - W from one shore to another. there was lots of open water just before the cold snap

Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 PM

welcome to the forum, helluva first picture! dont understand why people try to cross those, bet this guy wont do it again! glad it wasnt more serious

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM

Default tad bit icy but not too cool

saw it this morning as well. Completely unsettling to say the least. Drove on not far from that location and got the heck off asap. Heard things that ones ears should never hear when driving on the ice.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 PM

I would say south ice is not good at all for driving
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
I would say south ice is not good at all for driving
drove on Newell today, close to 20 inches of decent ice where we were. and Im a chicken driving on ice

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachman View Post
Heard things that ones ears should never hear when driving on the ice.
Jay was creaming like a little girl again when it cracked?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Has anyone been to badger?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Default skunked and stinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Jay was creaming like a little girl again when it cracked?
Oh J was not the only one to be dirty!!! I think we both soiled ourselves. Not a good feeling in the least!!! But you just had to put the icing on the cake about your fantastic day on the ice now didn't ya! Rubbed our faces in our own dirty drawers!!! We will get you back for that you know!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Wow. That's scary. I drove on ice today at Newell but wasn't confortable. Never trust the ice
Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Oh J was not the only one to be dirty!!! I think we both soiled ourselves. Not a good feeling in the least!!! But you just had to put the icing on the cake about your fantastic day on the ice now didn't ya! Rubbed our faces in our own dirty drawers!!! We will get you back for that you know!!!
told ya to come with me ! I found the most curious thing in the ice, too tired to remember pictures, it looked like a big round hole all the way through, frozen again, like a meteor had punched a hole. kinda crazy

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwili View Post
Wow. That's scary. I drove on ice today at Newell but wasn't confortable. Never trust the ice
you notice how I walked all the way out, and waited for someone even crazier than me to drive out first, Oh that would be you! but at least you caught the big fish today. a couple of times I said some bad words when the ice cracked! wait til next saturday when you hear flygirrl on the ice, you will laugh like crazy!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I did mean to type SCREAMING!!!!!! and only 2 beers down the hatch, been a long long week!!!! LMAO

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
told ya to come with me ! I found the most curious thing in the ice, too tired to remember pictures, it looked like a big round hole all the way through, frozen again, like a meteor had punched a hole. kinda crazy
we have a local lake that has lots of perfect circular holes in the ice no mater how thick when its really cold they freeze up again but soon open up again when the weather warms we call them man holes that's what they look like. we will not drive very far on that lake.if at all.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Wayne, I didn't buy the derby ticket yet. Do you think they will have some available next week end? Hope my luck won't vanish soon
Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwili View Post
Wayne, I didn't buy the derby ticket yet. Do you think they will have some available next week end? Hope my luck won't vanish soon
Im sure they will have some left, if you call them and they are almost sold out let me know . just because Im nice doesnt mean I will let you win though

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Sorry OP

First post and hopelessly hijacked. some of just dont know when to shut up. me especially

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM

i always park close to the ice but never on it, however i do bring a sled to put all my gear in it when i go walk on the ice to the spot, good exercise
Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 PM

Oops. I'm sorry for hijacking the post.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I did mean to type SCREAMING!!!!!! and only 2 beers down the hatch, been a long long week!!!! LMAO
lol He doesn't cream or SCREAM!! He turns white and ashen and then speaks words that for most are quite difficult to understand! I have seen white Jamaican's before, but it's beyond humorous when the one your with is like a chameleon. Dark but speaks like an english scholar and then on the ice.. turns white and speaks Jamaican like it's no body's business!! You would have enjoyed yourself today that is for sure! Pure entertainment!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM

i was at travers saturday. Only 10 inches of ice but on the other side of the narrow section by the swim beach I saw a small car drive on the ice. I was on the other side of the lake and i heard the ice cracking and popping more than the fireworks at a chinese new year party. Guy was driving fast and like an idiot. caught a little bit of air off a snow bank while he was on the ice. The quality of the ice was ok but very inconsistent. I was waiting for him to go through. It's like seeing a car crash unfold at an intersection..... you dont want to see it happen to anyone but you just cant pull your eyes away from it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM

we were out at CV yesterday drove out no problems south west end. 18 inchs of ice.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM

Wayne so that is why you waited for me to drive out first Saturday, wanted to see how crazy I really was, had my window open all the way out there. Remember big bait doesn't alway mean big fish. Doesn't a vehicle go through crawling every year
Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM

I am not sure there is good ice anywhere
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Default Good ice

Lots of good ice out there. Remember to check the area first or take your chances. If you read the fine print he tried to take on a pressure ridge and lost. Watch for open water, gas pockets, and springs are probably one of the more common issues when the ice is good and someone falls through.There is never a guarantee.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
We were with Orv and company when you were texting - don't know if you got my message, but if that spidey sense kicks in and you just don't feel good about where you are .... get going until you're gone. I'm a firm believer in intuition when on the ice.

Got nervous when I saw the truck in heading - sorry it had to happen, but glad it wasn't you.

Deb

Last edited by Deb; 01-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
Has anyone been to badger?
I can't wait to see what happens at Badger this year. With all the warm weather we've had I think it would be nuts to drive on any lake in southern Alberta. I can just imagine when all the big motorhomes and trucks loaded with gear park side by side out there. Might be a year to park on shore and walk on. Or avoid the derby all together.

Rob
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I can't wait to see what happens at Badger this year. With all the warm weather we've had I think it would be nuts to drive on any lake in southern Alberta. I can just imagine when all the big motorhomes and trucks loaded with gear park side by side out there. Might be a year to park on shore and walk on. Or avoid the derby all together.

Rob
With all the warm weather on the way I could see the ice being very crappy or maybe even having to cancel the badger derby. I am sure the ice is decent right now but by the end of this week with the wind and pretty warm temps I don't think it will take long for that ice to start rotting.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post

Rob
I was out there saturday and there were lots that drove on with about 13-15" of ice, we definetly werent the first ones on there, as we didnt want to be the guinea pigs. Would there enough spots on shore to park the campers with the amount of people that go?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM

welcome to the board buddy , good thing you knew about that pressure ridge . CVR may be a no go for me this year but who knows ..... may still chance it next month
Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Smart Guy

Ben, you should ask him if he drove beside the truck or if he parked and walked on to the ice?