Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Default ATV Tub Trailers

Our usual hunting camp has been becoming more and more difficult to get into with our trucks with the wet weather for the last couple years. We are considering alternatives for access without tearing up the trails. One thought is tub trailers. We only have smaller 500 quads. The tow weight is not a big issue, but the tongue weight is. With a walking beam setup, how much tongue weight do you actually have to deal with? It seems maybe not a lot, but with a single axle/pivot, maybe more than I think. Anyone have some experience they can share? We saw about 10 rigs with them heading out on the weekend, so they seem to be the answer.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM

4 wheels is always the best, for a ATV trailer
Old 09-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Tongue weight is strictly a function of how you load the trailer, whether it has 2 or 4 wheels. Four wheel will make it easier to keep a lighter tongue though but they also pull harder in soft going or over logs. I try to never have more than 150 lbs on the tongue, 100 is better for most quads. Less than 50 lbs is not good unless you have very little total weight in it. Load your heavy stuff at the axle or back from there. Put the lighter stuff ahead of the axle. You can feel the tongue weight pretty easy. Lift the tongue with one hand, if you can't, reduce the load or re-distribute the weight.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM

You don't need a lot of tongue weight but if you end up hauling a big animal in it you will get fairly heavy weight wether you like it or not. Advice from one who has been around these for more years than I can count. Get a 6 foot with a walking beam axle. With a single axle expect roll overs with all of your supplies in it. They work but not nearly as well.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
You don't need a lot of tongue weight but if you end up hauling a big animal in it you will get fairly heavy weight wether you like it or not. Advice from one who has been around these for more years than I can count. Get a 6 foot with a walking beam axle. With a single axle expect roll overs with all of your supplies in it. They work but not nearly as well.
The walking beam 4 wheeled trailers are WAY better than the 4 wheel solid axles, which is what I was referencing when I talked about 4 wheel ones pulling tougher. If that was an option, like you I too would take one of those over a two wheel trailer.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:38 PM

I just took a quick peek at a Marlon. I think it would work, but a bit small. I would have to rework our camping gear to make it all fit and forgo a few comfort items. Might have to go to the drawing board again.
Anyone know a manufacturer that sells direct?
Old 09-30-2019, 03:09 PM

where you located Nast 70 I have a tandem axle bergen in very good shape by Lloydminster if your interested.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I just took a quick peek at a Marlon. I think it would work, but a bit small. I would have to rework our camping gear to make it all fit and forgo a few comfort items. Might have to go to the drawing board again.
Anyone know a manufacturer that sells direct?
Depending on how rough the terrain is going in, you are better off with two trailers than one that is too large. Quads will pull a lot of weight but if it is muddy, swampy, lots of blow down then you start to run into issues pulling too big a trailer. If the going isn't all that bad and your highway trailer isn't too big/heavy you can just tow it as the second trailer.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Our usual hunting camp has been becoming more and more difficult to get into with our trucks with the wet weather for the last couple years. We are considering alternatives for access without tearing up the trails. One thought is tub trailers. We only have smaller 500 quads. The tow weight is not a big issue, but the tongue weight is. With a walking beam setup, how much tongue weight do you actually have to deal with? It seems maybe not a lot, but with a single axle/pivot, maybe more than I think. Anyone have some experience they can share? We saw about 10 rigs with them heading out on the weekend, so they seem to be the answer.
What type of hitch setup do you have on the atv’s ? If you can show a picture . Tongue weight won’t be an issue with proper weight distribution like people mentioned but my older grizzly came with pretty crappy hitch design that was really weak. The dealer was upfront about it right away and told me how to fix it at the time. I believe the newer ones now come with a nice receiver. Your quad will pull one just fine though so it shouldn’t be an issue. There is a Facebook group I’m on and it’s pretty well known that the marathon trailers are pretty weak and have many axle problems for going up north of fort McMurray but my guess is that people are just going to fast with them. Here’s a picture of the one my dad built for me with the help of are neighbor years back. They made about 4 I think at the time all at once and it’s been going strong since 2005.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM

Both our quads have 2" receivers. Can't imagine one without one now!
I'm planning a trip in later this month and fill my cow tag (first cow draw! Don't want to waste it!). I think i'll just be transferring my gear into the quad trailer and haul that in. At least the quad has a winch if needed. I will miss the safe, dry, secure place for my food the truck canopy offers. I will figure something out for that.

My dad has a couple Honda quads he's thinking of selling. We will try to convince him to flip them into a pair of tub trailers.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Both our quads have 2" receivers. Can't imagine one without one now!
I'm planning a trip in later this month and fill my cow tag (first cow draw! Don't want to waste it!). I think i'll just be transferring my gear into the quad trailer and haul that in. At least the quad has a winch if needed. I will miss the safe, dry, secure place for my food the truck canopy offers. I will figure something out for that.

My dad has a couple Honda quads he's thinking of selling. We will try to convince him to flip them into a pair of tub trailers.
You might not have to unpack. We hunted near Slave lake. Everyday we saw many different Cows (4-6) no calves. Few bulls. After glassing the cows. The ticks were present in a few cows.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Default ATV Tub Trailers

I really like the 2 wheel Bosski ATV wagon. Torsion axles, gas shock on the cover, grease fittings on the wheel bearings, etc. Aluminum tub and cover with steel frame. Just used it in some real rocky and muddy terrain in BC without issues at all. Gear dry, no tipping issues, etc. Bought mine on a pallet in Winnipeg and had it shipped to BC as it was cheapest there.

Last year I pulled walking beam tandem axle plastic trailer with a lid on the same trail. It pulled a whole lot harder on the hills, in the mud and swamps. Winched way more than with the Bosski which I greatly prefer for towing behind the Grizzly.

As per the hitch, the stock Grizzly hitch is attached by two bolts...mine about caused me a failure that I understand is can be common towing heavy loads in rough terrain. I bought the Yamaha 2" receiver that utilizes the factory hitch on the older bikes, plus the two frame tubes in the area. Much sturdier.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:26 PM

Look up trail mark Atv tubs they are called the rhino. All aluminum many different types from dumping to standard .
Old 10-21-2019, 07:15 PM

I love that rear quad box... what is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
What type of hitch setup do you have on the atv’s ? If you can show a picture . Tongue weight won’t be an issue with proper weight distribution like people mentioned but my older grizzly came with pretty crappy hitch design that was really weak. The dealer was upfront about it right away and told me how to fix it at the time. I believe the newer ones now come with a nice receiver. Your quad will pull one just fine though so it shouldn’t be an issue. There is a Facebook group I’m on and it’s pretty well known that the marathon trailers are pretty weak and have many axle problems for going up north of fort McMurray but my guess is that people are just going to fast with them. Here’s a picture of the one my dad built for me with the help of are neighbor years back. They made about 4 I think at the time all at once and it’s been going strong since 2005.