Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Default best back pack

hi guys,
looking (and hoping) to be succesful sheep hunting this year. What would you guys reccomend for the best back pack. i am looking for something with a frame that will carry either a bow or a rifle on the way in, and hopefully an animal out. Let me know what you think,
Mike
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Mystery Ranch all the way......

www.mysteryranch.com
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Default pack

My 2 cents is http://www.kifaru.net/
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 PM

I have the Badlands 4500
after one year,http://www.badlandspacks.com/ so far so good
Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 PM

thanks guys, both those packs look good. I have an old military "alice pack" right now that serves the purpose. Can't decide if i should buy a new one or just order new padding and straps from cpgear. The pack design on the alice is ok, recently saw a "gunslinger" that looked really neat too.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM

Arc' Teryx is a good internal frame pack, very comfortable. But not designed with anywhere to put a bow/rifle. Not hard to make it fit one.

I wouldn't expect to be successful on a ram your first year. Just get out there and enjoy it you will be hooked forever.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 PM

this would be our 4th year, but we plan on putting in a lot more time this year, hopefully it will pay off.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 PM

I expect to kill a ram every time I go out......

If I didnt I wouldnt push it as hard as I do, wake up as early, hike so far, check every little spot, spend that extra hour glassing, etc, etc.....

I'm on my 8th year of chasing rams and have yet to connect....but I would never go out if I didnt think I was going to do it each and every time...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 PM

I packed my Ram out last year with the badlands pack, they are really comfy!!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

If I didnt I wouldnt push it as hard as I do, wake up as early, hike so far, check every little spot, spend that extra hour glassing, etc, etc.....

I'm on my 8th year of chasing rams and have yet to connect....but I would never go out if I didnt think I was going to do it each and every time...
5% of sheep hunters harvest 95% of the rams... I dont expect to be in that 5% for a long time. I hunt as hard as I can every time I step outta the truck.

I've seen lots of guys using those Cabelas Alaskan frame packs, and the price is right.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Banned

I have owned/used 30+ packs in my years of alpine backpacking and this includes most of the highend ones from Europe, the US and so forth. The Mystery Ranch packs, especially the NICE series are the best I have EVER used and they are holding a sale right now; check out www.mysteryranch.com.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:

X2
Old 06-13-2009, 10:01 AM

Gotta love your confidence! I'm usually just glad when I make it to where I intended to go.

F.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:16 AM

I have two packs. One I picked up five or six years ago at WSS, just your basic pack fame with bag attached to it. The cloth of the bag is noisy, they pin/ring system that holds the bag to the frame is noisy, but it holds quite a bit, it's easy to strap a sleeping bag to the bottom. I wouldn't buy it again though. Later I bought the Eberlestock Gunslinger. LOVE the built in scabbard, it fits great, however it's too small. After I put in raingear, camera gear, day food and water it's pretty much full. You can strap a sleeping bag to it, but it's awkward (especially the bulky bag that I have).

So I still need a bag that I'd happily take on multi-day trips, and I could use a much lighter sleeping bag too. Guess I made some poor gear choices in the past. :-(

Frans

Last edited by Frans; 06-13-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:20 PM
sheephunter

This brings up an interesting question....what does everyone think the minimum size for a sheep pack is? I just ordered a 7,000 cubic inch pack and figure the minimum is around 6,000, at least for multi-day trips where you could be packing sheep out. Anyone use smaller? It's not so much the weight but the bulk that I find I need such a big pack for.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 PM

I am looking very hard at the Osprey series. I think that an 8000 cu/in setup is about right, but will likely go for the Argon 110, just incase I decide to go for a long trip. These packs collapse quite well, and have a wicked lifetime warranty (similar to Leupold). They also fit guys like me with 24" plus torsos, and this is hard to find (my daypack looks like a fannypack on backwards when I wear it).
These packs are a fit modular system that feels great. The prices don't kill you either.http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/ArgonSeriesMens/

I also like the Eberlestock and Mysteryrich, I mean ranch stuff too.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Hey, sheep', what did you order? I'm looking at a few regular mountaineering/hiking packs, they seem a bit lighter, and some are pleasantly priced. Some even come with side straps for "skis"... bet they would hold a rifle! :-). As for size, bigger is better I think. If you don't fill it, tighten all the straps.

May need to look at a model that allows things to be strapped to it, like say, a set of horns, a quarter, etc....

Frans
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
sheephunter

I ordered a Mystery Ranch Kodiak. Should be here in late July.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Holy cr.... that one weighs 9 pounds empty!

F.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
Holy cr.... that one weighs 9 pounds empty!

F.
Ya, that was a concern for sure but it's one of those packs that just fits like a glove and feels like half the weight. I loaded one up with 120 pounds to try it out and was amazed. Best feeling/fitting pack that I've tried. Wish it was lighter but it doesn't seem that heavy. Seems like most backpack guides that use the Mystery Ranch are using the Kodiak or the 6500. Both right around 9 pounds.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It's not so much the weight but the bulk that I find I need such a big pack for.
I agree.
I just cannot get what i need out of an internal pack. Just too limiting in space and to double the weight of the pack to carry more defeats the purpose i think.
I backpack more than I hunt out of a pack but the principals are the same.
I devised a system that i am looking forward to trying out this year.
I took a tatonka frame

And bought waterproof compression sacks.
then i will stack the compression sack like logs on the frame and lash to the frame with metal cam buckles.

this pack will then be light as it can be, as secure as an internal, extra room all over with the pack frame, and the ease to remove sacks as needed. (ie dropping off tent/pad at base camp)

I have broken too many lashes on internal packs to now despise plastic on backpacks. So, this all metal frame with all metal buckles should solve that problem.
The only bad thing about this external pack is that it rides back so when you go up steep sections you got to pull yourself forward. But hopefully for sheep hunting, that the heavy time will be going down. In going down, the pack is nicer because it will pull me more erect.

Just another option for you.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM

Default Kifaru

I ordered the Kifaru G2 Longhunter Guide, 7.5lbs and 7200 cubic inches. Pricey, but I can't find anyone that says anything bad about these packs...other than to get one that is at least 7000 cubic inches. The Mystery Ranch is suppose to be excellent also but its 9lbs. I hope I've made the right choice??? It'll be here in late July
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNR View Post
I ordered the Kifaru G2 Longhunter Guide
I truly can not put my jealousy into words

I've got a longhunter that's about 6 or 7 now and it rocks. I sent it to them because it ripped apart when it flew off by tobaggan at a pretty good pace.

They fixed and replaced everything on the pack....it came back brand new and all new trimmings.....no charge

You've made a great decision to deal with these guyz......truly stand behind their products.

How long did it take you to rule out the EMR or MMR??

tm
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Arc' Teryx is a good internal frame pack, very comfortable. But not designed with anywhere to put a bow/rifle. Not hard to make it fit one. I wouldn't expect to be successful on a ram your first year. Just get out there and enjoy it you will be hooked forever.
I use an Arcteryx LEAF Echo which is 62L and similar to the Bora 60. I've done numerous 5-7 day trips with this pack and it works. A Kifaru gunbearer attaches easily (get the universal/long) for this type of pack. There is no better system and I think the packs that have gun/bow restraints built into the front are useless.

As far as minimum size? Most of my gear is confined to pouches on the outside of the pack, so really I have 62L plus a very extendable lid to haul meat, but this pack is not designed for such heavy loads.

I know I could get by with a 60-70L pack on a week trip, but obviously the pack wouldn't be up to the task of hauling 80+ lbs of carcass on my way out.

That said, the next pack I'm buying is a Kifaru ZXR.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
That said, the next pack I'm buying is a Kifaru ZXR.
Ahhhh....now I gotta go to Kifaru and check out what that is

Too many options as it is........ahhhhh the life

tm
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 AM

OK...I got ya.

I like that weight but losing the cargo hauler option kinda sucks....it don't matter if you've always got the pack on it which would be for 95% of anything I'd do with it
Old 06-15-2009, 06:42 AM

I almost picked an EMR used but the guy backed out at the last minute. Couldn't sell it...to big of a loss he said? I think any Kifaru pack military or hunting 7000cubic inches or larger is a wise choice from the info I have found on various forums.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Having bought most of my gear 20 years ago, weight wasn't a concern because I was super human. However nowadys...I'm taking another look at my gear. My wife made my throw out my old trusty 6500 internal frame Coast Mountain pack because I forgot to take out my lunch from last fall. I bought a Cabelas external frame ultralite extreme, (5 lbs/2 ounches). It got a little test last year, but i'll get a work out this summer.

My coast mountain was so big when loaded that it would fold over at the last 2 ft at 45 degrees when loaded. I made a great emergency shelter though, I could crawl in it up to my chest, and I'm 6ft. Going to give the external pack a try for a while.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
OK...I got ya.
I like that weight but losing the cargo hauler option kinda sucks....it don't matter if you've always got the pack on it which would be for 95% of anything I'd do with it
You can use Kifaru's 'cargo chair' with any of their packs. It's a removeable accessory that fits any of their packs, from the Marauder and up.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Mystery Ranch all the way......

www.mysteryranch.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
This brings up an interesting question....what does everyone think the minimum size for a sheep pack is? I just ordered a 7,000 cubic inch pack and figure the minimum is around 6,000, at least for multi-day trips where you could be packing sheep out. Anyone use smaller? It's not so much the weight but the bulk that I find I need such a big pack for.
In search of the ultimate back pack over the last several years, I have tried several internal and external frame packs - both having features I really liked. In anticipation of my upcoming fall sheep hunt, I finally ordered the MR Nice Frame Cerberus this spring but it did not fit like I have hoped - I was dissappointed. Also, I felt the 4500-5000 cu. in. was a little too small for my typical 7-9 day sheep hunts.

After much discussion with the MR boys over what I liked and wanted, I ordered the Orion internal frame pack (6000 cu.in.) and I could not be happier. It fits like a glove and will likely be the last pack I buy for the mountains - the pack looks indestructable, has every detail I look for covered, has a reasonable weight, and frankly is best I have tried or seen. It's 6000 cu. in. is as big as I would go as I have hauled out sheep with two different packs in the 5500 cu. in range and they got it done, if not packed a little too tight on the way out . The few extra cu. in. of the Orion should be just right, and the internal frame makes sense with this design.

Tags
backpack, bow, frame, rifle