Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Default First gun

Within two months, I will be purchasing my first gun. I've decided I want a .22 magnum, and I have been looking at different models and reading the reviews.

But, if you could share your experiences, that would be great. I want single shot, bolt action. I will want a scope, but I don't mind buying that separately. I would rather put more money into a better gun, than pay an inflated price for a gun with a crappy scope.

Any suggestions you may have will help me as I research my options. :-)

Thank you!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 AM

I would think about what type of game u will be shooting. If its for varmints and big game you can't go wrong with a 243
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Smile I'm trying to help

My first gun was a Cooey single shot that shot very cheap .22 rim fire ammo. It had no scope and cost $15 new.

If you want a single shot (nothing wrong with that), and a good scope, that is what the old Cooey wears now, I would recommend the noble .22. It has shot and killed everything up to and including Grizzly bear. It is cheap to shoot, easy on you and the gun, you will shoot it lots and get very good at the fundamentals of shooting. You can graduate from it to just about any centre fire.

You can leave this gun to your grandchildren.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Thank you!

I definitely want the magnum though...
Are any of the brands/makes of the 22. WMR that are especially awesome?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 AM

A single shot .22 Mag makes a lot of sense for a first gun.

CZ has a bolt action with a single-shot adapter for the magazine. It's a well-made rife. That way, you could go to a magazine after you have gained some experience and skill.

http://www.buy-cz-firearms.com/item/...SINGLE_SH.aspx

Might be an idea?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
A single shot .22 Mag makes a lot of sense for a first gun.
Thank you! I have thought for months about it. I know some think it's silly because ammunition is more, but I love that it has a little more punch. We live in the middle of nowhere. I love wildlife, especially predators, but I also have a dog, horse and two sons. Where I live, it is possible (but not likely) to find every variety of large predator on my property. I have found wolf scat, and bears and cougars have been seen here as well.
And besides, I've had a rabid raccoon climb my leg before (and a photo to prove it!) so not all threats are large.

Anyway, once I shot the mag, I just loved how it felt in comparison. And I want single shot not only so I can learn, but so that my boys can as well. And with ammo being more, it'll just teach us even more so that every shot counts.

Quote:
CZ has a bolt action with a single-shot adapter for the magazine. It's a well-made rife. That way, you could go to a magazine after you have gained some experience and skill.

http://www.buy-cz-firearms.com/item/...SINGLE_SH.aspx

Might be an idea?
That's definitely an idea! Thank you!

Edit: Sorry mods, just realized this should have gone in the guns and ammo discussion.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca

Last edited by Arachnodisiac; 01-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM

I have a CZ 452 Lux in .22WMR. It's a beautiful, accurate rifle. Very Euro styled. http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-lux/

However, I'd give some thought to the calibre. For small game it's pretty powerful and expensive vs .22lr. It also "blows them up real good". If you wanted to eat the squirrel or rabbit you shot with this, well, you better eat it as stew. You will get much more basic target practice with a .22lr, though, admittedly, at shorter range.

You speak of having horses and other animals and also having coyotes and wolves around, as well as other predators. The .22WMR is not the optimum gun for them. Can handle a coyote (though some sould disagree as to the ethics and effectiveness), but I wouldn't use it on anything bigger. If you want to stay small, but more predator-effective, perhaps the Ruger .204 centerfire. .223 would be a nice choice and ammo readily available. But a .243 is still light and gets you into a rifle that is legal for big game.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

I was thinking the same okotokian. I have had the opportunity to shoot a 17hmr which in my mind is very comparable to a 22mag and could not bring myself to think I needed or wanted one when a 22lr is cheaper to shoot and will kill just as much as a 17 or a 22mag. I think a 22lr is more practical if plinking and small game is what your after and nothing better to teach the boys the fundamentals of shooting then a 22lr. And you can buy 22lr anywhere. If you plan on shooting yotes on a regular basis neither the 22lr nor the 22 mag in mind are the right choice. I would step up to a 204 or for cheap ammunition a 223. Just my thoughts!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I love wildlife, especially predators, but I also have a dog, horse and two sons. Where I live, it is possible (but not likely) to find every variety of large predator on my property. I have found wolf scat, and bears and cougars have been seen here as well.
I for one would not want to have to depend on a 22mag to deal with bears,cougars or wolves. Even a 223 would be much better for wolves and cougars, and I would go larger yet for bears. I don't own a 22mag myself, because a 22lr is much cheaper to shoot, and a centerfire such as the 223 makes a far better varmint cartridge.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM

I plan to buy a second, larger calibre rifle by fall – but the .22 mag will have to do me until then.

I have my heart set on the mag. :-)

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Go join the OMR gun club

Look up Garry Hackler. Lives in Cowley.
He's taught more new and young hunters than any other man in s.alberta.
Great guy.
Ex teacher.

Likes gibsons or Irish mist.

Mebe I shoulda done a pm
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

Go for the 22mag, and look at the cz455 it would be a good option.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Look up Garry Hackler. Lives in Cowley.
He's taught more new and young hunters than any other man in s.alberta.
Great guy.
Ex teacher.
Likes gibsons or Irish mist.

Mebe I shoulda done a pm
Thank you!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM

IMO - for a 1st rifle, I'd get a second-hand, entry level .22

Your boys will be thrilled - they won't know the difference between it and a much more expensive CZ, but zipping through boxes of inexpensive .22 shells will capture their enthusiasm and build their markmenship much more than rationing out more expensive ammo on a higher powered and more expensive rifle.

Use the money you save to get some family instruction, join a club or range, or to more quickly purchase a firearm more suitable for the type of hunting you envision, once you have the knowledge base to do so.

Purchasing a top-end brand-new rifle like a CZ 455 22 mag after very limited experience in various calibres, is like purchasing a Ducati for a first bike.

Also - there's a ton of guys (and more than a few women) at any gun range who would be pleased to assist a sincere woman with her boys in tow to learn shooting safety and the ins and outs of different firearms and calibres. You will be invited to try out various rifles and scopes. Although you may live where you can shoot in your own 'back 40', travelling to a local range may prove most benefitial in this regard.

Good luck - your boys are lucky to have you!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Purchasing a top-end brand-new rifle like a CZ 455 22 mag after very limited experience in various calibres, is like purchasing a Ducati for a first bike.
You make it sound like the CZ line are top end, high priced rifles.They are actually are not top end rifles, rather, they are good quality rifles that are also reasonably priced. The CZ rimfires can be purchased for around $500, whereas the truly high end rimfires can cost $2000 or more.

As for the 22lr vs 22mag debate, there is no question that the 22lr is more affordable to shoot, and will it allow a new shooter to develop his shooting skills every bit as well as a 22mag will.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM

So many things to consider.

I'm two months away from the purchase, so I have time. It's hard to wait though!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I plan to buy a second, larger calibre rifle by fall – but the .22 mag will have to do me until then.

I have my heart set on the mag. :-)
if a 22WMR si what it shall be, check out the CZ rifles many of us have been telling you about. Beautiful rifles, though not the cheapest you can get. Quite accurate.

I wouldn't limit myself to a single shot though. This is for you, not a young kid. You can trust yourself. If you only want one bullet available at a time, then just load one. But if 6 months from now you would like a clip, you have it in a normal bolt action repeater.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Yes, that's a good point. The kids have a pellet gun too.

And for my second, a Weatherby Vanguard .270 win is what I have planned.

After that I don't know... but if I find guns to be anything like tarantulas, I will end up with way more than what most people seem to think is necessary.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
After that I don't know... but if I find guns to be anything like tarantulas, I will end up with way more than what most people seem to think is necessary.
Nice self-revelation. Now you don't have to worry about fellow members dropping by for a visit!

As to your choice of second gun, everyone has their favourites, but nobody's going to tell you a Vanguard in .270 isn't a good gun for typical big game in Alberta. Nothing wrong with that choice.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nice self-revelation. Now you don't have to worry about fellow members dropping by for a visit!

As to your choice of second gun, everyone has their favourites, but nobody's going to tell you a Vanguard in .270 isn't a good gun for typical big game in Alberta. Nothing wrong with that choice.

I'm pretty used to solitude, but there's a limit... even for me!

And I guess then, my next step is figuring out what shotgun I want. Also before fall, but I am not sure that being able to get three this year is realistic. But, I will plan nonetheless!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
And I guess then, my next step is figuring out what shotgun I want. Also before fall, but I am not sure that being able to get three this year is realistic.
Haven't bought your first rimfire yet and you're already planning a rifle with a bigger hole in the end of the barrel and a shotgun.....

That's what happens when you hang around with gun people. Whatever it is, it's contagious.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Haven't bought your first rimfire yet and you're already planning a rifle with a bigger hole in the end of the barrel and a shotgun.....

That's what happens when you hang around with gun people. Whatever it is, it's contagious.
Yes, but she's still just talking about one rimfire, one centerfire, and one shotgun. That's like taking a few puffs of MJ. Wait until she is a crack-addled addict talking about the four 30-06's she owns like some other members here!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, but she's still just talking about one rimfire, one centerfire, and one shotgun. That's like taking a few puffs of MJ. Wait until she is a crack-addled addict talking about the four 30-06's she owns like some other members here!
When you get to be a real addict, the average factory 270win or 30-06 rifles just won't cut it. The real addicts progress toward the higher end guns, often in the more unique chamberings.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When you get to be a real addict, the average factory 270win or 30-06 rifles just won't cut it. The real addicts progress toward the higher end guns, often in the more unique chamberings.
Yes, but they don't sell the ones they started with!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, but they don't sell the ones they started with!
Many do, some particular guns may have sentimental value, but for the most part, many of us addicts have an ever changing roster of firearms. I no longer have any of the first few dozen firearms that I owned. Most get sold to fund new ones that I feel that I just have to try out. I doubt that there are many of us that have owned even a few dozen fireams that have regretted selling at least a few of them. In some cases, it isn't even a matter of the financial investment, but rather that we run out of room to store them all. I have added shelving to my lockup twice, and I have no more room to expand, so now it comes down to selling one firearm to purchase another. I am already planning a special gun storage/reloading room for my retirement home to rectify that situation.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that thanks to my other hobbies, I won't catch this one as bad as some of you have it... There's only so much time, and so much money, after all.

I will try to stick to three guns. Maybe four, if I take my restricted.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

Yeah! right bahahaha!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Cz rifle are the best rifle for your money before you go to higher end.I would'nt hesitate to buy this for my first gun.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Spiders...... :(

Oi...... Can't stand dem tings.

They don't even make good bait ......,

Wait till August and you run into the huge cat faced spiders.......!

Gives me the willies!!

Ew!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Definitely buy a savage mod 93 in 22mag they are tack drivers right out of the box and they are reasonable for price too. I bought one and I was putting 5 shots into a beer can tab at 100yrds