Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM

Default New To Sturgeon Fishing in the NSR

I have never fished for sturgeon before and heard its a hoot in the NSR. Any tips/ techniques that I can try to hopefully pull in a monster?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 PM

talk to bbj
Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 PM

X2 on talking to BBJ though I'm hearing it's getting to be the end of sturgeon season...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM

There's lots of Great opportunity , to fish for Sturgeon , but sadly the action has died off , as it is to my knowledge that the sturgeon have started Migrating to there winter grounds . Your best opportunity to catch Sturgeon is from June to End of August .

But dont let that stop you from still attempting to fish for them. As they are on the move , from there summer spots . There's plenty of hot spots that many people catch sturgeon . The Walleye fishing and Goldeye bite is just at the beginning of really starting to pick up . Walleye will really be starting to be putting the feed bag on . In all my personal records from 2003 from Mid Sept to end of October is best Walleye fishing capable of producing trophy walleye . My largest of 2004 was Oct 3 14 lbs 09 oz . Definitely a trophy . Ive heard many other and witnessed others catch some very large walleye also .

If you want more in depth information I suggest you get ahold of get ahold of sturgeonhound , or Alex K . These fella's really know there stuff . I'm just really starting to get into the Sturgeon fishing myself .
Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 AM

ahahaha

....waits for phone to ring
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 AM

so what kind of water do they migrate to? must do the same down here in the SSR I imagine. hows hunting BBJ?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 AM

With the current temps (both air and water), the sturgeon are still going good right now. It'll drop off around Thanksgiving. Just find a nice deep hole or back eddy, and away you go. Oh yeah, don't use your favorite walleye rod, if you're serious about it, get the right gear for the job.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
so what kind of water do they migrate to? must do the same down here in the SSR I imagine. hows hunting BBJ?
Yes BBJ Im curious as well....where are those damn sturgeons come September/October??????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM

Does anyone know if there is any good sturgeon fishing near ft Sask
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbS View Post
Does anyone know if there is any good sturgeon fishing near ft Sask
The record Sturgeon out of the NSR was caught by FT Sack. 89lbs
I was there last week but no luck. the next couple weeks are the best time to go.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorTurtle View Post
The record Sturgeon out of the NSR was caught by FT Sack. 89lbs
I was there last week but no luck. the next couple weeks are the best time to go.
i believe alberta record is 105lbs!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Alberta record is 105 lbs. out of the SSR.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 PM

i put my boat in the water last night for the last time this year and managed to pull 5 sturgeon in. biggest was 48" smallest 40", so im going to hold off on parking the boat for the year haha
Old 09-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
i put my boat in the water last night for the last time this year and managed to pull 5 sturgeon in. biggest was 48" smallest 40", so im going to hold off on parking the boat for the year haha
That's super for u! How bout answering the original ?s though
Old 09-23-2009, 04:50 PM

By no means am I any kind of master Sturg wrangler but all 4 of mine that were caught this year were all early season and caught lazy style. Pick rig n minnows. I know some of u despise that style, jus tellin what I know.
P.S. - buckbrushoutdoors, my biggest and first was 49 inch. Got u beat by an inch, u shoulda pinched that tail harder
Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 PM

get yourself a medium heavy action 6' + rod with a good high capacity reel use 30# braided or heavier. i use a slidding weight system, but a 3-way swivel will work also, i prefer 3oz weights with a high quality circle hook that you can load up with worms with a bout 18" of leader and fish it on the bottom. set your rod in a rod holer so u can see the smallest bites and sit back and wait... try to find slow deep stretch of the river and sit back and relax i have gone nights with not a bite and go back out the next night and catch a few, its not a high action fish dont expect to catch lots patience is the biggest key. took me 3 years to figure it out but once you find them in your in the money

any other questions let me know
Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM

a 49" is a good fish deffinatly way to go!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
get yourself a medium heavy action 6' + rod with a good high capacity reel use 30# braided or heavier. i use a slidding weight system, but a 3-way swivel will work also, i prefer 3oz weights with a high quality circle hook that you can load up with worms with a bout 18" of leader and fish it on the bottom. set your rod in a rod holer so u can see the smallest bites and sit back and wait... try to find slow deep stretch of the river and sit back and relax i have gone nights with not a bite and go back out the next night and catch a few, its not a high action fish dont expect to catch lots patience is the biggest key. took me 3 years to figure it out but once you find them in your in the money

any other questions let me know
Xcellent info. Sounds like u guys are in a good area for the ol Sturg too. May have to try out ur techniques buckbrush. 5 sturg in one night is a gr8 day on the water I'd have to say. Cheers, happy Sturg huntin!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Fall is by far the best time for numbers of fish, as they start stacking up in their overwintering pools. Early, early spring is hard to beat too at these same locations, but with ice coming down the river it's not nearly as dependable to fish as you can't always boat into where you want to fish. Chris K
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Fall is by far the best time for numbers of fish, as they start stacking up in their overwintering pools. Early, early spring is hard to beat too at these same locations, but with ice coming down the river it's not nearly as dependable to fish as you can't always boat into where you want to fish. Chris K
So true.
P.S. - 5-2 Oil tonight
Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 PM

How do I tell by looking at the river what is a deep hole from shore that would hold sturgeon?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackpup View Post
How do I tell by looking at the river what is a deep hole from shore that would hold sturgeon?
Talk to local fisherpeople, they will know. Sometimes u may get lucky though. Watched a buddy pull in a 20 # sturg out of a personal popular welleye hole, bout 10 ft deep at best. Made for a fun day. Should be able to to tell depth by how long it takes for ur lure to sink???
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 PM

the water drops alot as the days go by so its hard to say a depth that they are at, but i would say find a constant depth of 8-14 feet of water and sand bottom look for slow current usally means its deeper and look at the shoer if its cut away and there is sand that usaully means it should be fairly deep.(sand is more easly eroded then gravel) and the other thing that i have noticed is on either side of the sturgeon holes, upstream and down stream it is extremely shallow but drops off fast to slow deep water, im sure there are a million other ideas of why they are where they are but thats my ideas
Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 PM

Do you have any picsÉ This sounds way to awesome - damn I wish I knew what to do. Might just have to try.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
Do you have any picsÉ This sounds way to awesome - damn I wish I knew what to do. Might just have to try.
i got pics. jus cant figure out to post them. I am computer challenged. Plus, recently I have decided, rather than hurt my catch, a pic jus aint worth it. I know I caught the fish n to me that's all that matters. Pics r gr8 but at the end of the day, unless I got a monster, I'm gonna put that fishie back asap, without measurement.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:52 PM

someday this weekend i will post some pics of the fishing from the summer im knee deep in shutdown rite now should be all finnished up by sunday